What it takes to build a reliable engine

tinygiants said:
I got more info on this today. It is a little more than the bypass. In my motor, they installed a different gear rotor in the oil pump. This was not really documented very well in my invoice from Arrow Racing. So when I saw pressures exceeding 70 psi, I called Joe at PBJ. I replaced the oil sending unit thinking it was fouled. I still had high pressure, so I called Joe again. After conferencing with Arrow, we learned that they had in fact changed the pump set up to run at 70 - 100 psi. The only thing I have to do is be sure to use a sturdy oil filter such as the Mobile 1 or similar triple wall filters.

Tinygiants,

I see it has increased your oil pressure but did it eliminate the cavitation problem. I guess the real question is if you see it lose any pressure above 5500rpm?

pokeytemplar said:
Tinygiants,

I see it has increased your oil pressure but did it eliminate the cavitation problem. I guess the real question is if you see it lose any pressure above 5500rpm?
I am sorry, but I do not have any info to answer that question.

Im wondering what differences there are in their rotor for this increase in pressure? Tighter bearing clearances, camshaft oil restrictors, heavier spring in the bypass, etc can cause the pressure to increase. How does the pump itself increase the pressure?

pokeytemplar said:
That will have to be one hell of a stroker crank. Biggest reliable bore for vipers is 4.16" (especially Gen 3) Gen 2's maybe can squeak in a 4.25" but only Hennessey will do it (does that say anything?). Moldex makes cranks as well. I believe they are building all of Lingenfelter's 4.25" cranks. Just don't see how they are putting those in viper engines with a 6.25" rod.

So I guess you could get their crank and then get Hennessey to sleeve it for you for 603ci. But why stop there? Get him to do a .030 over bore and you get hit the magical 10Liters!
I am working on it... completion date - spring 2012 LOL Unless I hit the lotto...

yellowfever#154 said:
Im wondering what differences there are in their rotor for this increase in pressure? Tighter bearing clearances, camshaft oil restrictors, heavier spring in the bypass, etc can cause the pressure to increase. How does the pump itself increase the pressure?

Was woundering the same thing:dontknow: ??

Stronger spring in the by-pass which also eliminates the flapping sound some have with some oil filters...I think...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back