What next

5K? is what i would like. I am a budget guy though and will sit around and wait to find a second hand deal. Also will do all the work myself. so 5k in parts.

port your stock heads, get with Justin at JMB (a vendor here) and have him grind you a custom cam for what you want. Get with Chris Jensen to do the tune and you should be in under budget.

port your stock heads, get with Justin at JMB (a vendor here) and have him grind you a custom cam for what you want. Get with Chris Jensen to do the tune and you should be in under budget.

I will look into these as options. I talked to a rep about a SCT and they informed me to wait until jan-feb to get a unit because no one really has the current model and the first of the year they are shipping out a new model that includes data logging. so I will wait for that. How much different will a custom ground cam be than an off the shelf if the off the shelf is covering the correct parameters?

I will look into these as options. I talked to a rep about a SCT and they informed me to wait until jan-feb to get a unit because no one really has the current model and the first of the year they are shipping out a new model that includes data logging. so I will wait for that. How much different will a custom ground cam be than an off the shelf if the off the shelf is covering the correct parameters?

Justin at JMB is who you should contact about the cam, he can answer those questions for you. The SCT Xcal3?? is the new one and yes datalogging will be possible with this unit. Looks like you are pointed in the right direction!!

I talked to a tech today at ROE for a little wile. We didnt get to SC but he did inform me of a new cam they worked with COMP on its a 710R and fixed some of the lift and duration the old 710 was lacking. I am ok with 550rwhp so heads cam tune would be good and like you said less to go wrong. I will look more into the SC option knowing you are running 5lb and making 550. Are you on stock internals?

Yes stock internals, 67K on the truck and 31K since the blower install. Sean is the only one who has tuned the truck. Good luck with your quest for power.

So if I was to go single turbo.... 80mm 5-7psi. I would take my chances on the stock motor. I have read tons of horror stories and equal success stories. I am a believer that it is all in the tune. So..... what is the stock fuel system good to? As of now I am looking for 600-650rwhp on low boost. May change out push rods and springs but not trying to tear the motor apart.

As of now I am looking for 600-650rwhp on low boost. May change out push rods and springs but not trying to tear the motor apart.

Build your motor if you're looking at that power level. Not sure on the limitations of the fuel system since I'm stock with the exception of injectors.

A single or twin turbo set up will kill your budget. Nothing with these trucks are cheap, especially the engine.

Build your motor if you're looking at that power level. Not sure on the limitations of the fuel system since I'm stock with the exception of injectors.

A single or twin turbo set up will kill your budget. Nothing with these trucks are cheap, especially the engine.

Turbo= $1500
Hot work/cold work= $400 materials
labor=free
bov/wg=$500
tune=$700-1000

I already have AN fittings and flanges etc.

so im not seeing how this will kill my $5k budget. I can do a cam, new springs and rods and port my heads for the same price. If I dont replace internals. The turbo build would not require as much work. The cam and heads would require me to tear down most of the engine.

what did you do for fuel system?

what did you do for fuel system?

Stock with bigger injectors that came with the blower and an SCT tune. I still don't see you making your budget. Don't forget you'll need an intercooler. Who's doing your tuning? I would look at replacing the pistons with forged ones with a better ring package if you open the engine up. Good luck.

Turbo= $1500
Hot work/cold work= $400 materials
labor=free
bov/wg=$500
tune=$700-1000

I already have AN fittings and flanges etc.

so im not seeing how this will kill my $5k budget. I can do a cam, new springs and rods and port my heads for the same price. If I dont replace internals. The turbo build would not require as much work. The cam and heads would require me to tear down most of the engine.

No intercooler?

What kind of turbo for $1500 bucks ??

That is pretty cheap budget to start a hunt for turbo accommodating a 505c.i. engine.

Esp a 80mm. Yes you can buy a Cast 80mm Journal Bearing Ebay turbo, but that's asking for trouble before you even get it out of the box.

Heads/Cam or N20 to stay in a 5k budget... Cheaper than a rebuild too.;)

No intercooler?

What kind of turbo for $1500 bucks ??

That is pretty cheap budget to start a hunt for turbo accommodating a 505c.i. engine.

Esp a 80mm. Yes you can buy a Cast 80mm Journal Bearing Ebay turbo, but that's asking for trouble before you even get it out of the box.

Heads/Cam or N20 to stay in a 5k budget... Cheaper than a rebuild too.;)
I already have an intercooler. and I can get a oil less BB comp 80mm for $1500. Ive got people :)

the more I read the more I keep steering away from the turbo. what kinda numbers will I realistically see with cam, ported heads, intake, exhaust? like you said cheaper than a rebuild.

Last edited:
:rock:if you can do the fab work I'd do a single turbo, could get you around 600rwhp but the transmission probably won't like it

I can weld the crack of a fat ladies ass and mend the broken heart of a nerdy high school kid :ROFL:

Is 600 a usual breaking point for the 48RE transmission?

Yup the 48re will say "F-it" soon after a few pulls I'm sure. :burnout:
Like I tell all of my customers, have an end goal in mind and build upon that. If you plan more than 650 with SC or Boost, forge that biatch! If you can be 100% happy around 600-650 then by all means go for it. Cam, springs, pushrods, based on FI is crucial and as you already know, your tune is very important!
We can get you what you need and grind a cam around your build, head flow, etc, but if you decide to port/mill later, that cam profile will be rendered inefficient. Then you have to consider traction as an equation afterwards as you likely can't hook the power it has now .
It's all up to you and your "budget" sir:burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back