What Other Forums Does Shaggy Own?

Y2K5SRT said:
And as I recall it can also be a money maker. Google ads, even if shown only to unregistered users, should pay for a basic hosting plan and then some. Throw in some dedicated paid advertisers, solicit memberships/donations, sell decals, etc., and it can be a regular business - ask eKool.

We dropped a PM to Jack as well on getting more involved, but not with the intention of making any money. We just like big displacement V10's - a lot. :D

This forum was based upon the Srt10 trucks . I loved the idea of no advertisement(s) for members and non members (guests). I hope that this does not change at all. This site has never been about revenue. It's been about the trucks and the people behind the wheel of these trucks.

Last edited:
I would be OK with Advertisements.....

JMB, JTSVP, BCreative, etc

Y2K5SRT said:
And as I recall it can also be a money maker. Google ads, even if shown only to unregistered users, should pay for a basic hosting plan and then some. Throw in some dedicated paid advertisers, solicit memberships/donations, sell decals, etc., and it can be a regular business - ask eKool.

We dropped a PM to Jack as well on getting more involved, but not with the intention of making any money. We just like big displacement V10's - a lot. :D

Yes, I do make money on the forums, but nearly all of it goes to hosting, advertising the sites, skins made for the sites, paid addons, and so on. This is not a business for me as in ekool. Its just an addictive hobby of mine.

SrtBrad said:
This site has never been about revenue. It's been about the trucks and the people behind the wheel of these trucks.
I certainly wouldn't speak on Shaggy's behalf, but nobody buys a website to lose money - or even just to break even. Here is what Shaggy said previously:

Shaggy said:
If I ever decide to put ads on this forum, guests will be the only ones that see them.
vBulletin has many, many "tweaks" that can be done to introduce Google ads and other money makers, often without affecting the "core" group of people like yourself. For example, go to ViperAlley.com and look around the forums. If you are either registered or paid at a certain level (pretty sure it is the latter) you don't see ads. But if you aren't then you will see a TON of ads all over the pages, in every single thread (something like every 4th or 5th post), and even those ultra-annoying hypertext keyword links that throw pop-ups everywhere.

The bottom line is that while the intentions may be ultra squeaky clean, there aren't a lot of gearheads that drive only minivans and work trucks buying up websites with a built-in user base.

2005 SRT10
2006 SRT8
2007 Caliber R/T
2008 Caliber SRT4

Y2K5SRT said:
I certainly wouldn't speak on Shaggy's behalf, but nobody buys a website to lose money - or even just to break even. Here is what Shaggy said previously:

vBulletin has many, many "tweaks" that can be done to introduce Google ads and other money makers, often without affecting the "core" group of people like yourself. For example, go to ViperAlley.com and look around the forums. If you are either registered or paid at a certain level (pretty sure it is the latter) you don't see ads. But if you aren't then you will see a TON of ads all over the pages, in every single thread (something like every 4th or 5th post), and even those ultra-annoying hypertext keyword links that throw pop-ups everywhere.

The bottom line is that while the intentions may be ultra squeaky clean, there aren't a lot of gearheads that drive only minivans and work trucks buying up websites with a built-in user base.

2005 SRT10
2006 SRT8
2007 Caliber R/T
2008 Caliber SRT4
who are you????? looks like you have been here forever....i agree with you a lot kind of scary

Y2K5SRT said:

2005 SRT10
2006 SRT8
2007 Caliber R/T
2008 Caliber SRT4

Yea, of course I would like to make my investment back but I don't expect that for awhile. I am not ekool. He sold out to vertical scope/autoforums and they own all his older sites it looks like. My sites are nowhere near the look of viperalley so you couldn't even come close to comparing my sites to theirs. :)

Y2K5SRT said:
I certainly wouldn't speak on Shaggy's behalf, but nobody buys a website to lose money - or even just to break even.

I agree with what you said however that is not what I understood from the statement that Shaggy made about not changing this site. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that nothing would change and the forum would be left the way it was. Improvements like adding viewable video to a post is just that ........ improvements. The forum did not have advertisements for any member including all guests.

Wouldn't you consider advertisements for guests a considerable change in this site?

I belong to many forums and I call this one home for the reason of it's members, unique format, and management. People contribute what they can to meet operational costs. This format has worked for many years and I hope that it continues this way. I would strongly suggest we don't change this format.

SrtBrad said:
I call this one home for the reason of it's members, unique format, and management. People contribute what they can to meet operational costs. This format has worked for many years and I hope that it continues this way. I would strongly suggest we don't change this format.
:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

:fight: :dito:

SrtBrad said:
I agree with what you said however that is not what I understood from the statement that Shaggy made about not changing this site. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understood that nothing would change and the forum would be left the way it was. Improvements like adding viewable video to a post is just that ........ improvements. The forum did not have advertisements for any member including all guests.

Wouldn't you consider advertisements for guests a considerable change in this site?

I belong to many forums and I call this one home for the reason of it's members, unique format, and management. People contribute what they can to meet operational costs. This format has worked for many years and I hope that it continues this way. I would strongly suggest we don't change this format.

But you are ok with improving the site, with the video mod and so on?

Ok, before we do anything, we will let you all know what improvement ideas we want to add.

SrtBrad said:

Like you, I belong to many car sites. I also happen to work "behind the scenes" on a couple of them including handling some of the advertising, member recruitment, etc. The operational costs for this site are already met and then some. Indeed, it should already be quite profitable and more gravy is to be had.

Out of curiosity I dropped by lxforums.com (where I am also a longtime member) and there are Google, Amazon, and other ads on the front page - whether you are logged in or not. There are "sponsored links" that appear in the middle of threads - again, whether you are logged in or not. They seem to appear a little earlier in the threads when you are not logged in (guest). Like this site, you can also become a Site Supporter to help defray the costs. They offer two levels - $15 or $25, whereas this site is currently $24 (which is fine). Note that while they are wonderful ways to support the site, the additional features cost the site owner(s) nothing to provide. Additional PM's, tags, avatar sizes, and even gallery space cost ZERO to offer as long as it is within the hosting plan for the site.

The math is simple: A brand-spankin' new indefinite license of vBulletin Forum (4.0) is $195 - $175 for upgrading an existing license. lxforums.com is hosted by CrystalTech/Newtek, most likely on their small business plan which offers 2GB of disk space and 200GB of bandwidth for $8.95 a month. Lest you think in terms of your own PC and how much disk space you need, note that on lxforums.com the most Gallery space a user can have, even at the highest sponsor level, is 7.5MB. You could get a dedicated hosted server for $63 a month from GoDaddy, which gives you 240GB of space and 500GB of bandwidth. Go big and spend $270 a month for 2TB of disk space and 3,000 GB of bandwidth. Or you could buy your own server for under $500 (new) and pay for just for bandwidth.

Okay, so there are 9,182 registered users on this site. Let's say that just 5% actually visit the site every six months (460) and half of them pay the sponsor fee - 230 x $24 = $5520 a year. Let's say you have fifteen sponsoring vendors at an average of $40 per month - 15 x $40 x 12 = $7200. Google, Amazon, and other ad placements? Let's say that all three combined pop around $100 a month or $1200 a year conservatively. Grand total? $12,720 a year as is, $13,920 with more ads. Most forums enjoy "free" moderators/admins that get paid little if anything to help their fellow enthusiasts. Ditto for many designers that will often offer to help design/redesign the site for free as they are members and just want to help out.

Bottom line? It's unlikely that the hard costs for the site (non-labor) exceed $3,000 a year, but the total income is likely to exceed $10,000. There are no hard member benefits such as decals, apparel, or membership badges - all benefits are "soft" with no additional costs to the host. Depending on what the admins are paid (if anything), the dollars aren't huge but they DO add up - especially with multiple sites. For example, lxforums.com has around 70 sponsoring vendors (maybe $33,600 a year) and four times the registered users. It all adds up.

505'sFastestViper. said:
who are you????? looks like you have been here forever....i agree with you a lot kind of scary
Nothing scary, as Shaggy seems pretty stand-up so far and as long as the core (registered) users don't get hit with a bunch of display ads or hypertext then all is good. And yeah, been around the block a few times... :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back