What's the diffence in Headers

1badnightrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im getting my truck from the bodyshop this week and im gonna start modding my truck, I have heard that the bellingers & B&B's are the best but what's the Diffrence in long tubes vs. Shortes.
& is the mopar full exhaust set as good as the B&B's
I guess what I'm wanting to know is this,is there really that big of a diffrence in the 2.

imo, b&b is the best sounding but is expensive....... i love the sound from mine, there's a sound clip @ the link:

http://www.bbexhaust.com/truck/srt10/

there's lots of debate about cost of headers vs what you get in power........ personally, i like the LT headers for ease of mids swapping between my hi-flows & catless mids (shorter mids).......:)

1badnightrunner said:
Im getting my truck from the bodyshop this week and im gonna start modding my truck, I have heard that the bellingers & B&B's are the best but what's the Diffrence in long tubes vs. Shortes.
I guess what I'm wanting to know is this,is there really that big of a diffrence in the 2.

You will get the most accurate answer by asking a dyno shop person
who has experiance with our trucks, ie Marty at KRC,Sean at Roe Racing,
Justin at JMB, etc.

I decided, based on info from them and others that the increase in performance vs. the cost was not worth it.

Shorties-Bassani's look by far the best if your looking for bling,My understanding shorties for bottom end and Long tube for top,The best Long tube is like Moparracing said B&B's,there are some other nice LT too American racing,Bellanger and the Mopars,those are just my $0.02 though.

Yellow venom said:
Shorties-Bassani's look by far the best if your looking for bling,My understanding shorties for bottom end and Long tube for top,The best Long tube is like Moparracing said B&B's,there are some other nice LT too American racing,Bellanger and the Mopars,those are just my $0.02 though.

Ditto, I'm with Joe!!

moparracing said:
imo, b&b is the best sounding but is expensive....... i love the sound from mine, there's a sound clip @ the link:

http://www.bbexhaust.com/truck/srt10/

I can't comment on how they sound on the truck (don't have mine yet) but doing searches and my final decision was made easy. Billy Boat are easily the deepest sounding exhaust note I heard and in my opinion around, sounds awesome!!! Check their website. I got the long tube headers, cat less mids and exhaust system ready to install. Expensive but well worth it. Do it once, do it right. ;)

My 0.00.2c

Last edited:
thinks guys, i was just wanting to know what everybody thought would be the best setup for these trucks.
I think im gonna try this combo here,
1. A 170 thermostat
2. Sct tuner from Dcperformance
3. B&Bs with deleted cats
4. B&M short throw shifter

I'll keep everybody posted & let ya know how it go's for me!

If yall know anything else or I put the wrong set together please by all means let know, the only thing I've ever done any mods on were a V-ROD & Z28
I new to this much power in a pickup

I would go b&B, i only have the exhaust and and high flow cats but i have used b&B for many times for other cars in the past and they always seem to sound the best compared to most.

But you do pay the price but a good sound is worth $$$$

trw0042 said:
I would go b&B, i only have the exhaust and and high flow cats but i have used b&B for many times for other cars in the past and they always seem to sound the best compared to most.

But you do pay the price but a good sound is worth $$$$
it was to me..... the magnaflow sounded to ups truck-like to me. :D

Originally Posted by Yellow venom

FATJACK said:
Ditto, I'm with Joe!!

Double ditto that!...

1badnightrunner said:

Don't want to spoil the fun, but what is important to you? What are your long term goals with the truck?

The answers will vary with the specifics of your question.

Is your goal maximum performance, best sound, bling? What is your budget? What is your time frame? Are you concerned about warranty? What state are you in? What are the pollution control issues you will face?

In my opinion you haven't given us sufficient data from which to formulate a good response.

I urge you to plan your build and then work your plan...modification of these trucks is an expensive and time consuming task. If you want the quickest route with the least amount of waste you have to "start with the end in mind." (Thank you Stephen Covey...)

I have Bellangers and like them but if I had it to do over I'd stay with the OEM exhaust manifold and save the $2,000. Not enough if any bang for the buck.

oldguy

2 things to think about...on a Viper (genIII) Bellangers usually get about 10-15rwhp over the stock set-up. This is consistently the best power gains for a GenIII viper (same engine). The stock set-up on a GenIII viper is vesy effecient. Now, we do not have the same manifolds as a GenIII viper, so headers are effective for our trucks. After lengthy talks with Lou Bellanger, my Viper Tech Eddie "reverse" Martin, DC, and several Viper owners the consensus is Bellanger give the best mid-upper range power, as far as bottom end I am not sure the last time some one dyno tested our trucks in the 1500-2500rpm range for max gains. Snake-oyl & Woodhouse love Bellangers and recommed them. They are expensive and they are the best...Just ask the McClaren engineers who lost a bet to Lou about headers...which he now does there production.

BurntRubber said:
2 things to think about...on a Viper (genIII) Bellangers usually get about 10-15rwhp over the stock set-up. This is consistently the best power gains for a GenIII viper (same engine). The stock set-up on a GenIII viper is vesy effecient. Now, we do not have the same manifolds as a GenIII viper, so headers are effective for our trucks. After lengthy talks with Lou Bellanger, my Viper Tech Eddie "reverse" Martin, DC, and several Viper owners the consensus is Bellanger give the best mid-upper range power, as far as bottom end I am not sure the last time some one dyno tested our trucks in the 1500-2500rpm range for max gains. Snake-oyl & Woodhouse love Bellangers and recommed them. They are expensive and they are the best...Just ask the McClaren engineers who lost a bet to Lou about headers...which he now does there production.

Also keep in mind the weight of our vehicles...you may feel a 10rwhp gain in a fox body mustang that weights 2800 pounds, your not going to feel that in a 6000# truck.

If you want bling buy bassani's

Yellow venom said:

Yeah I'm with Joe on that one too. The bling factor is way up with the Bassanis. And since shorties are for bottom end, why not? That's all mainly why I'm going to slap those on.

moparracing said:
it was to me..... the magnaflow sounded to ups truck-like to me. :D

Sadly this is the truth. I never noticed that until I read this post. What's a better route regarding mufflers? I wouldn't mind tossing the Magnaflows for a better sounding muffler.

Moparracing has sweet sounding B&B set-up,and also Rotten Ronnie has a real sweet sound too (B&B cat back with a cam) Theres becoming more and more B&B out there.

Venom Power said:
Sadly this is the truth. I never noticed that until I read this post. What's a better route regarding mufflers? I wouldn't mind tossing the Magnaflows for a better sounding muffler.
My true Magnaflow sounds nothing like a UPS truck or rice. It's a true 3" cat back.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back