Where to get light wheels AND Tires?

robwclark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang guys is it impossible for any company for build a good light set of forged alluminum wheels. Our factory wheels weigh in at 40lb and our tires are the about the same at 39 lbs on Pirellis, 41 lbs falkens.

OK heres the deal. I had weld Racing custom build me a set of FORGED alluminum 19.5 Heavy duty wheels for me 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 DUALLY. They cost me $4000 to have special built(6 wheels btw). These Heavy duty Weld 19.5s only weighed 23 lbs each compared to non-forged 19.5 American Force brand that weighed 65 lbs each. Why I had these wheels built is a completely different topic, but was basically to get a better ride quality than other heavy 65 lb wheels I already had.

So now why cant anyone make a 22" wheel that isnt 40 lbs? I know Weld Racing has the capability to build a 22" wheel under 30 lbs. What about HRE? Hennessey used to have some 22"s on his website but now they are gone. Anyone remember how much those weighed. I wish I could find a used set of those.

NOW Tires. Anyone know what the lightest 305-40-22 tire is?

robwclark said:
Dang guys is it impossible for any company for build a good light set of forged alluminum wheels. Our factory wheels weigh in at 40lb and our tires are the about the same at 39 lbs on Pirellis, 41 lbs falkens.

OK heres the deal. I had weld Racing custom build me a set of FORGED alluminum 19.5 Heavy duty wheels for me 2008 GMC Sierra 3500 DUALLY. They cost me $4000 to have special built(6 wheels btw). These Heavy duty Weld 19.5s only weighed 23 lbs each compared to non-forged 19.5 American Force brand that weighed 65 lbs each. Why I had these wheels built is a completely different topic, but was basically to get a better ride quality than other heavy 65 lb wheels I already had.

So now why cant anyone make a 22" wheel that isnt 40 lbs? I know Weld Racing has the capability to build a 22" wheel under 30 lbs. What about HRE? Hennessey used to have some 22"s on his website but now they are gone. Anyone remember how much those weighed. I wish I could find a used set of those.

NOW Tires. Anyone know what the lightest 305-40-22 tire is?

And by reducing the weight of the wheel ( removing aluminum) and the tire
How will that effectr reliability and safety? Wouldn't you agree the engineers when designing these wheels and tires used as little as possible ( almost) so the could keep the cost down in the first place and still provide a factor of safety? I can see your point however to reduce the unsprung wieght .

main.php

main.php

robwclark said:
Cool Site. Im gonna check on these in a dark finish/chrome lip as deep as I get get them. I have been looking for a set of wheels that look exactly like these with a deep dish lip for 2 years now. I absolutely LOVE them. Opinions anyone?????

http://iforged.com/us/images/wheels/zoom/sideSeneka.jpg
I have a set very much like that in an 18" on my wife's 02 GTI with BFGs. Very nice.

scoobert said:
its the size, tire rack has 20" at 30lbs and 22" at 42lbs.

Yup, wonder why these knock-off weigh the same as our suppose-ed forged stockers. Our wheels & tires are too heavy. I wonder if going with a good forged 24" wheel and a lower profile tire would come out any lighter? I would love to see all 4 wheels & tires on my truck weigh 200 lbs, and I think its possibly possible anyway.

nycstev said:
And by reducing the weight of the wheel ( removing aluminum) and the tire
How will that effectr reliability and safety? Wouldn't you agree the engineers when designing these wheels and tires used as little as possible ( almost) so the could keep the cost down in the first place and still provide a factor of safety? I can see your point however to reduce the unsprung wieght .

The Ram SRT-10 truck on the whole was a COMPLETE afterthought. When the developement was going on for the new 2002 Dodge Ram they never intended on using 22" wheels I promise you. They had to go 22"s when the Ram SRT-10 was built for looks alone. These wheels are a cluster-F mess that dodge cheaped out on to cut down developement costs.

This is why ford only used 18's on the lightenings. see below:

At the cost of looks, Ford chose performace.

At the cost of Performance, Dodge chose looks.

I sincerely believe lighter wheels/tires would do wonders for our trucks. Im gonna go shave a set of alloy 17's I have laying aound to fit my truck and prove my point. I bet it drives awesome on them, but I bet I change them back as soon as I regain my senses when I realize I have just bolted a set of 17" wheels on a viper truck!

scoobert said:
truthfully i think 4 steel 20" wheels would be lightest, like our spares.

Holy crap scoob, trust me on this one. I have removed a ton of factory spares & changed many 20" dodge wheels, and the steel spare weighs at least 20 lbs more that an alloy 20. I have never weighed them, but just trust me its a huge difference.

robwclark said:
The Ram SRT-10 truck on the whole was a COMPLETE afterthought. When the developement was going on for the new 2002 Dodge Ram they never intended on using 22" wheels I promise you. They had to go 22"s when the Ram SRT-10 was built for looks alone. These wheels are a cluster-F mess that dodge cheaped out on to cut down developement costs.

This is why ford only used 18's on the lightenings. see below:

At the cost of looks, Ford chose performace.

At the cost of Performance, Dodge chose looks.

I sincerely believe lighter wheels/tires would do wonders for our trucks. Im gonna go shave a set of alloy 17's I have laying aound to fit my truck and prove my point. I bet it drives awesome on them, but I bet I change them back as soon as I regain my senses when I realize I have just bolted a set of 17" wheels on a viper truck!
Here is a pick of the one's on the GTI. Cheap wheels, But same style.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 88
robwclark said:
Wade you lost me there, what wheels are you talking about????
i dream about these wheels

2824406571_e7ea12d530_b.jpg

edit i also have a set of stock spare 20"s that i've thought about having narrowed for the front an running 17's in the rear

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back