Who all has a electric fan setup?

bmxam962

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jw who all has one. After installation my power steering pump has gotten super loud. I have tried 3 pumps out and still same noise. At about 2500rpms it starts whining and as rpms get higher the pitch gets higher also. Sounds very similar to a roe super charger. Just wondering if it's normal or what. Thanks guys

Jw who all has one. After installation my power steering pump has gotten super loud. I have tried 3 pumps out and still same noise. At about 2500rpms it starts whining and as rpms get higher the pitch gets higher also. Sounds very similar to a roe super charger. Just wondering if it's normal or what. Thanks guys

Sure it's not your SC? Didn't think to ask that

I HAVE JUSTINS E-FAN AND A ROE ALL ALLUMINUM RADIATOR .zero noise .

Did you remove check valve ,small lines going to and from power steering pump could be the issue .Also you MUST use the right power steering fluid .

A lot of peeps remove the valve coming out the top of pump reservoir and just install a fitting and hose .This is not the way to do it because without valve in there it will pump against the pressure in line and cause foaming and cause noise . Basic hydraulics. I can take a pic of mine tomorrow and will send it to you in a pm in the morning ;)

Last edited:
I HAVE JUSTINS E-FAN AND A ROE ALL ALLUMINUM RADIATOR .zero noise .

Did you remove check valve ,small lines going to and from power steering pump could be the issue .Also you MUST use the right power steering fluid .

A lot of peeps remove the valve coming out the top of pump reservoir and just install a fitting and hose .This is not the way to do it because without valve in there it will pump against the pressure in line and cause foaming and cause noise . Basic hydraulics.

What is the right ps fluid?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

What is the right ps fluid?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

I used two or three different ones till I switched to Peak Performance Power steering fluid for Chrysler vehicles it has a lot of anti foaming agent in it . Cost a tad more .

Some try to use trans fluid like in the old days but it will not work well in our 10,s .been there done that and got no free tee shirt .

Also you would be better off going to a hydraulic hose outfit and getting the biggest Inside line diameter you can get to use for the delete line .

Once you remove the fan out of the circuit your pressure will rise and cause cavitation.It will also make your steering a tad touchy ,that's why you need to get a fitting that will let you keep the check valve in top of the reservoir pump . Hope this helps .

I banged my head on my garage door many times over this till I got a combo that worked well . ;)

Peace Out .

Last edited:
I also have jmb fan kit. Right now truck has Mobil 1 synt. ATF in it. Check valve is still in it. Works perfectly just loud.

I thought our trucks used ATF+4 for PS????????

My ps pump got louder and steering became noticeably lighter after installing the JMB e-fan on my last truck. Removing all the hydraulic lines from the OEM fan really cuts the resistance in the ps system since it ran through them as well. So I even blew one of the A/N fittings because the flow rate/pressure was so much higher. I could always be wrong but I wouldn't worry about the noise.

I will never understand why people bail out on a system that works better than anything else you can possibly fit in its place. Its a matter of simple physics and engineering. No electric fan is going to come close to a hydraulic fan of the same size. Period. Yet, it gets the boot because they buy into the hype that its plagued with problems.

Its not.

What is plagued with problems is the Chrysler service information, techs lack of knowledge on the system, and level of cleanliness in service situations. We have had absolutely ZERO power steering related failures in the entire area that we service. Coincidence? I think not.

There is a reason that the pump is making noise. There is a reason why not to do what you guys have done on multiple levels. If you so insist on removing the hydraulic fan, there is a correct implementation, and an incorrect one.

Sorry if I come off as harsh, but a decade of picking up the slack for markets who quite literally create their own problems has worn away any filter I once had.

Actually, I guess I really never had a filter. Never mind. ;)

Last edited:
I got rid of mine for weight savings
But I'm sure of your 10 plus years of doing whatever you do you already know all about that I'm
Continue to bless us with your wisdom and your presence

Dom
Undefeated on the Internet

There is a reason why not to do what you guys have done on multiple levels. If you so insist on removing the hydraulic fan, there is a correct implementation, and an incorrect one.

Can you expand on this please. My lines are seeping. I have to service the reservoir at every oil change. Not much fluid is required maybe an oz if that, but its more the mess it makes at the swedges and connections. Being a heli mechanic cleanliness is tantamount and proper installation is a must for every system.

Thanks for the advice.

Butch

Last edited:
Can you expand on this please. My lines are seeping. I have to service the reservoir at every oil change. Not much fluid is required maybe an oz if that, but its more the mess it makes at the swedges and connections. Being a heli mechanic cleanliness is tantamount and proper installation is a must for every system.

Thanks for the advice.

Butch

Hi Butch,

Can you please specify whether you are needing assistance properly servicing the OE system which is still in place including its trouble spots, or whether you would like information on how to properly jump to an electric fan system and standard PS system?

Thanks for the advice.

Butch

There are orings(crushwasher on fuel lines for you aviation types) on the end of the oem lines that people never replace which cause the lines to leak. You can get them replaced at here
Advanced Fluid Connectors - Home Page

or upgrade the lines

I will never understand why people bail out on a system that works better than anything else you can possibly fit in its place. Its a matter of simple physics and engineering. No electric fan is going to come close to a hydraulic fan of the same size. Period. Yet, it gets the boot because they buy into the hype that its plagued with problems.

Its not.

What is plagued with problems is the Chrysler service information, techs lack of knowledge on the system, and level of cleanliness in service situations. We have had absolutely ZERO power steering related failures in the entire area that we service. Coincidence? I think not.

There is a reason that the pump is making noise. There is a reason why not to do what you guys have done on multiple levels. If you so insist on removing the hydraulic fan, there is a correct implementation, and an incorrect one.

Sorry if I come off as harsh, but a decade of picking up the slack for markets who quite literally create their own problems has worn away any filter I once had.

Actually, I guess I really never had a filter. Never mind. ;)

Well I need room for my 12 rib set up for my f1 procharger is the reason why I switched. Now if you can tell me what's wrong and how to fix the problem I would appreciate that.

The problem is simple. The OE pump was designed to run a rack, and a hydraulic fan motor. The bypass for both of those items is sufficient to return the full flow of the pump, even when both are fully inactive. [ie; fan at lowest speed and steering wheel not being turned]. When you remove the bypass/loaded flow rate of the hydraulic fan motor, the rack is struggling to bypass the extra volume of fluid being pumped. The pressure is increasing, the pump is working harder, and the pressure relief valve is bypassing when it should not need to be.

The solution is simple... stop using the OE power steering pump, and use one designed for a rack only. And yes, there is a bolt-on solution.

I also wouldnt doubt if you pick up a few horsepower from the change. Your system is wasting a lot of twist pumping that fluid through a relief valve.

The solution is simple... stop using the OE power steering pump, and use one designed for a rack only. And yes, there is a bolt-on solution.

I would be interested in knowing the part number or where to get one designed for a rack only.

switching to Electric, I have JMB's.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back