who are the moderators

Just a little perspective here. Intellectual property (copyright, logo infringement) is a very necessary legal area,

The chance a company takes in not protecting their logotypes is huge. Remember Formica??? It was a name brand counter top and floor covering. They failed to make efforts to protect their brand name and in one fell swoop lost the use of their brand name...the courts said that the word "Formica" had become a generic word. There was a huge loss of brand recognition in the process.

Kleenex and Jello have recently faced the same issue.

Many businesses just subscribe to services that scan the environment to find possible infringement. Subscribing to the service is a Prima facia defense in protecting your brand name, logo, and other intellectual property.

The situation may not be as nefarious as it seems. Effecting a change usually resolves the situation to the satisfaction of the courts.

In the process of changing your logo type you need a professional organization (law firm) to search to be sure you are not just creating another issue with another firm!

Prof said:
Just a little perspective here. Intellectual property (copyright, logo infringement) is a very necessary legal area,

The chance a company takes in not protecting their logotypes is huge. Remember Formica??? It was a name brand counter top and floor covering. They failed to make efforts to protect their brand name and in one fell swoop lost the use of their brand name...the courts said that the word "Formica" had become a generic word. There was a huge loss of brand recognition in the process.

Many businesses just subscribe to services that scan the environment to find possible infringement. Subscribing to the service is a Prima facia defense in protecting your brand name, logo, and other intellectual property.

The situation may not be as nefarious as it seems. Effecting a change usually resolves the situation to the satisfaction of the courts.

In the process of changing your logo type you need a professional organization (law firm) to search to be sure you are not just creating another issue with another firm!

And wisdom has spoken.:congrats:

Just stop using them big words! :D

Prima facia...
That's a car part right?
:dontknow: :D

Decided to do some research.

This was the Prof Roy's first thread posted?.....

Find all threads started by Prof....

"Next: Hooters Swim Suit Competition!!!!

Hurry, we can't miss this...FSN.

He sure has come a LONG WAY!!!
:D :D :D :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :D :D :D

Prof said:

so i guess the fact that the head is completely diffrent, the beak is diffrent, the hair goes back further, there is a nose, teeth and eyes are diffrent, there is not a smoke hanging out of his mouth and the words around say avondale wholesale part....hum maybe i might get this confused with clay smith cams....just maybe......I DONT THINK SO. the only thing the same is the color. i have never heard of clay smith cams and if he thinks i stole his logo I DID NOT. copyright or not its not the same.

dragon said:
so i guess the fact that the head is completely diffrent, the beak is diffrent, the hair goes back further, there is a nose, teeth and eyes are diffrent, there is not a smoke hanging out of his mouth and the words around say avondale wholesale part....hum maybe i might get this confused with clay smith cams....just maybe......I DONT THINK SO. the only thing the same is the color. i have never heard of clay smith cams and if he thinks i stole his logo I DID NOT. copyright or not its not the same.
Tell him to go F@ck himself....Gimme his number and I will do it for you :D

Stagethree said:
And wisdom has spoken.:congrats:

Just stop using them big words! :D

Prima facia...
That's a car part right?
:dontknow: :D

No, that there prima facia stuff is what goes around the eaves of your house :p :p :p :rolleyes: :marchmellow:

Anyone ever bought a Clay Smith cam?

I never knew anybody that did.

They were mentioned in some car mags in the sixty's for a slant six cam they made.

I Always went Crane or Isky and even MoPar but never Pecker head.:D

Its the use of the woodpecker in promoting a auto parts company that is the issue.

Disney would chase you if you used a two cartoon characters that resembled mice even if they were a different fat and ugly, if you were in any of the same businesses they pursue.

Being regionally close (the southwest), in the same business (aftermarket auto parts) and having the same bird promoting the product is sufficient to raise the eyebrows of the lawyers.

Change the bird like you propose (have a law firm do a search) and then you should be fine...

I was a partner in an advertising agency called "ComSouth" and a new phone calling card company started up and their name was "Comsouth", but since they were in a totally different business there was no infringement.

Copyright law is designed to protect as well as attack...

Last edited:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back