WHY!?!?!?

Jfireboy1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be asked this before and will again incase anyone has solved the mysterious yellowing of the carpet in my 06. I have the mineral grey 06 with grey carpeting and as time goes on I'm finding that the whole carpet is yellowing! It hasn't been getting driven and under a canopy so it hasn't gotten wet inside. I've felt everywhere and no moisture what so ever. Why the heck is the carpeting yellowing or getting all these yellow stains!?!? :/

It's your twin turbo setup. Just send it to me and problem solved
lol!! Actually as I was cleaning the truck I was brainstorming the issue and came up with a possible cause. I noticed that anywhere where where the carpet is cover with floor mats that the carpeting underneath looked brand new. So only exposed carpeting is yellowing, even in the vertical areas. I think that the leather conditioner I use from armor all is evaporating over time with heat build up after sitting out in the sun, then at night when it cools may turn back into a solid enough to where it lands in carpet and over time with heat it has a chemical reaction with carpet fibers. Just a theory.

Sounds believable to me. I think it's called outgassing. The old Dodge Colts had a problem with the inside of the windows getting fogged up. The windshield was like looking through a rainbow. Here it was fumes from the cheap vinyl sitting in the sun. Maybe something similar.

throw the carpet in a 55 gallon garbage can, fill with hot water, put about 10 packs of ritt dye if you can find the correct color and let it soak for a few days.

I am having the same issue on my minimal grey 06 RC. I only have 9k on it but it started 1st on the drivers side floor mat and is now on a couple of other areas on the carpet. I bought the truck from a guy in southern California and I think it maybe due to sunlight exposure.

I am having the same issue on my minimal grey 06 RC. I only have 9k on it but it started 1st on the drivers side floor mat and is now on a couple of other areas on the carpet. I bought the truck from a guy in southern California and I think it maybe due to sunlight exposure.
Mine isn't from sunlight exposure as it isn't in the sun much. I'm thinking of putting in new carpet though

Mine doesn't see much sun here in the great white north, plus it is in the underground garage 10 months of the year,. I noticed it when I bought it 4.5K miles.
Maybe it is fading due to chemical interactions between the carpet and underlay?

Mine did this as well, coincidentally it is also an 06 with gray carpeting. Mine was also garaged 90% of the time so it's not from the sun. I truly think you are on to something with either the cleaner or the leather conditioner.

Mine did this as well, coincidentally it is also an 06 with gray carpeting. Mine was also garaged 90% of the time so it's not from the sun. I truly think you are on to something with either the cleaner or the leather conditioner.

Yours doesn't look like that any more. I had that repaired as well as the driver side seat bolster leather that was cracking. :D

keep us posted on how the new carpeting holds up mad if it starts again. Did u use oem carpeting or aftermarket? Were u also using protectant on the plastics and leather?

Mine did this as well 06 Mineral Gray. I will be replacing carpet with something of a higher end.

yep here too sir , yellowing stanes...:confused: Always under carport here...
seems to be a common problem. :/ Hopefully if I dish out the $ for a new oem carpet that this won't happen again. Especially the time it's gonna take to install it. Anyone know of better quality carpet that's is oem molded?

I work in a lab that test carpet. I asked the tech. that handles carpet color fastness. His immediate response was nitogen oxide. less than 9 parts per million will cause yellowing. He said to check for an exhaust leak, even a small one. This maybe why it starts on one side. Setting in a garage doesn't prevent exhaust fumes from forming on the carpet fiber, also never run the air or heater while in a garage as it sucks the fumes in the cab and blows onto the fiber. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back