Wind Tunnel time!!

BIG NANA said:
For all you guys that keep saying NAY to my LSR dreams, I've booked wind tunnel time in July to put all the guessing and BS to rest. I've got enough time booked to test several ride heights, 4 different rear wings, where and how to block off the grills in front and wether or not the hood scoop does or does not work. I'll take bunches of pics and I might even let one or two of you come to the runs. Maybe.. But I think it will be very interesting to see the numbers. The truck is due to come out of the computer mod shop on Tuesday, going to Gainesville Wednesday night to test the new programs and then the AirRide goes on.

Yeah, the factory rear wing's trough cut into the middle (more or less) and across the whole length is supposed to create a horizontal cylindrical tornado, or a high pressure area to prevent drag. it will be interesting to see if it works. I'm guessing the Daytona wing is good for nothing, well maybe for hanging wet clothes.

My guess as well, but I thought I'd try it. Went to gainesville tonight, wanted to try out my BB headers and VEC-3, ran like poop. I could not hit 3rd gear tonight if my life had depended on it. I was so mad. The best I could muster was a 13.7 @101mph. I was hoping $3000.00 would do better than that. Maybe if I can learn to shift it might help.

Mark- stock shifter? Try "punching" it into 3rd instead of "shifting" it.
Just push it with your knuckles instead of actually gripping the shifter. I've found that works well for me.

Also: You should have a BIG present arriving on Friday. :)
More details coming in an email.

Good luck, man!

Get the Gen IV shifter that Marc T has...he will let you know how it works.

Mark,

I have a Gen I Boomer Shifter you are more than welcome to try. We will have to come up with a shifter handle since I have the original in my truck.

We may be able to figure out a way to bolt up the hust stick!!

Call me and let me know.

Gotta get Sean to tune that thing for ya brother!!

Marc and Mark...I have a Gen IV handle if you need it...Got the new one from Gary...just have to put it in. Just let me know.

Roy

I wish you had access to a Tonneau and 3 post wing just to see how that helps...

Okay, leave it to me to ask the questions.

Is this a moving roadbed wind tunnel?

What is the size of the tunnel?

How are you going to be measuring all the data? What's the plan?

If you are going to use smoke you absolutley need a video of it. Without a video you will be going from memory. Not a good plan.

3 hours is going to go by in no time at all. You will be surprised. You need at least 2 or more assistants to help you out with the changes you are going to be making. Remember that the time you are changing things is non-value time to you. Hell, I would practice the changes and have it all down to a science so that no time is wasted.

Good luck.:rock:

Silverback said:
I would practice the changes and have it all down to a science so that no time is wasted.

Smashing advice! :D

Silverback said:
Okay, leave it to me to ask the questions.

Is this a moving roadbed wind tunnel?

What is the size of the tunnel?

How are you going to be measuring all the data? What's the plan?

If you are going to use smoke you absolutley need a video of it. Without a video you will be going from memory. Not a good plan.

3 hours is going to go by in no time at all. You will be surprised. You need at least 2 or more assistants to help you out with the changes you are going to be making. Remember that the time you are changing things is non-value time to you. Hell, I would practice the changes and have it all down to a science so that no time is wasted.

Silver,

I spoke to Mark yesterday. He does have a plan and he will have some help to do the changes. I don't know the type of Wind Tunnel it is but these people have done testing on some record holding vehicles.

Hopefully he will chime in and answer more betta!!

Silver,
http://www.a2wt.com/index.html
Here is a link to the wind tunnel site, hopefully that will answer all questions, and yes we have a plan. I do not want to waste my money or time!!! In answer to other persons question, I sold the three post wing, but i do have access to another one. If it turns out to be a viable option, can always buy another wing, hell it's only money!! WE have several wings and other areo devices to test, I think 4 in all plus the front areo questions and the airride ride height. Lots to do, but the company is very experianced.

BIG NANA said:
Silver,
http://www.a2wt.com/index.html
Here is a link to the wind tunnel site, hopefully that will answer all questions, and yes we have a plan. I do not want to waste my money or time!!! In answer to other persons question, I sold the three post wing, but i do have access to another one. If it turns out to be a viable option, can always buy another wing, hell it's only money!! WE have several wings and other areo devices to test, I think 4 in all plus the front areo questions and the airride ride height. Lots to do, but the company is very experianced.

Thanks for the link, and good luck.

When is this taking place? If it is far enough in the future, I would be glad to do the video taping for you!! Might even turn a wrench or something....

:D

If all goes as planned it will be on July 20th, I'll let you guys know. And yes I could use somebody other than myself to videotape it. I might just take you up on it.

Hmmm... The 20th might be pushing it depending on what time it is. That is the day I am returning to Florida from New Hampshire.

Let me know!

It looks like the wind tunnel test will be moved to later in August, I have run into major fabrication problems with the Airride and those have to be worked out first.

Sweet! That means I should be free to be the videographer!:rock:

Seriously, sorry to hear about the problems, hope you get it worked out. So, your truck is basically out of commission while this is being worked on? If so, that sux! Hope they get it fixed quick!!

AT $1500 an hr geez.. big bux... hope you get some good vids for info.. and you were saying 150mph.. test.. the specs on there facility says

Test section size: 11.9 ft high by 19 ft wide by 56 ft long
Air Flow: 125-130 mph, using 22 individually speed-controlled 100 hp AC electric fans

is that going to be a problem for you?

Back