Wing or not to Wing

WAZZSUP said:
WING.jpg

You just had to steal Wifeys vision of a totally Winged Truck:p :D

tidnab said:
We will make the following assumptions
1: you will not load your bed with anything large enough to require removal of the wing
2: you don't mind having your truck look like some ricer car wannabe racer straight outa the fast & the furious
3: you understand that the wing probably has little if any effect on your truck(with regards to any downforce)

Personally, for me it's a practical matter... the wing just prohibits me from using the bed of my truck... If I didn't want to use the bed, I woulda simply kept my porsche.. If I ever get a trailer (which is an inevitibility) the wing will most likely go back on (simply because I'm too lazy to fill the holes and clean up the cover)... it just wouldn't be... practical :p

p.s.
I'm too embarrassed to post pics of my qc (because of the stickers and lack of any mods) but you can be rest assured it currently has no wing on it as well :)

In regards to downforce, they do generate 165 pounds of downforce. While that is not that much, what is not said is how much lift they negate. I would be willing to bet that at close to maximum speed that difference would be at least 500 pounds. Now that is a substansial difference.

I personally did not buy my truck to haul things in it, so for the most part access to the bed is not an issue for me.

One of the reasons I bought my truck is because it's rare. I see a shit load of Porsches every day. I very seldom see another SRT/10, and have seen only one Yellow Fever.

Besides, as Mikey would say, removing your wing is Ghey.;) :D

Silverback said:
In regards to downforce, they do generate 165 pounds of downforce. While that is not that much, what is not said is how much lift they negate. I would be willing to bet that at close to maximum speed that difference would be at least 500 pounds. Now that is a substansial difference.

I personally did not buy my truck to haul things in it, so for the most part access to the bed is not an issue for me.

One of the reasons I bought my truck is because it's rare. I see a shit load of Porsches every day. I very seldom see another SRT/10, and have seen only one Yellow Fever.

Besides, as Mikey would say, removing your wing is Ghey.;) :D

well if we're using THAT logic... I see SRT-10's every day... and the majority have wings on them... mine is MORE rare because it doesn't have a wing... therefore it's better :p

Yugo's are REALLY rare... therefore (using your logic) they must REALLY kick ass :D

and I LAUGH at 165 lbs of downforce... (which I'd call b.s. on anyway) much like the B.S. that putting your tailgate down helps wind resistance.. mythbusters blew that theory outa the water some time ago... http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_43_seasickness_cures_f.html

and everytime I see a daytona with that superbee straight outa da 70's wing on it... I almost crash my truck due to the gut belting laughter!!!

FlyingLow said:
What I wonder about putting the tailgate down is moving the CG back some therefore putting more weight on the back tires. I wonder how much it helps? (with CG, not wind)
Bingo..... Try this one too- remove the handle, and flip prop the gate upside down so the top edge is on the floor the bottom edge is up in air, now melt up some molten lead from the tackle shop (deep sea sinkers) and pour it into the gate.....

Welcome to weight transfer.....:rock:

HaulinAsp said:
Bingo..... Try this one too- remove the handle, and flip prop the gate upside down so the top edge is on the floor the bottom edge is up in air, now melt up some molten lead from the tackle shop (deep sea sinkers) and pour it into the gate.....

Welcome to weight transfer.....:rock:

LOL... I dunno... how the hell do funny cars do it :p 0-60 in ~1?? :eek:

tidnab said:
LOL... I dunno... how the hell do funny cars do it :p 0-60 in ~1?? :eek:
with 8000 hp and a slipper direct drive, as the car moves out more clutch is set to grab.....

HaulinAsp said:
with 8000 hp and a slipper direct drive, as the car moves out more clutch is set to grab.....

heh guess that'd do it :D but I'm pretty sure there's gotta be some weight transfer there as well.... then again ... I really have no idea

tidnab said:
well if we're using THAT logic... I see SRT-10's every day... and the majority have wings on them... mine is MORE rare because it doesn't have a wing... therefore it's better :p

Yugo's are REALLY rare... therefore (using your logic) they must REALLY kick ass :D

and I LAUGH at 165 lbs of downforce... (which I'd call b.s. on anyway) much like the B.S. that putting your tailgate down helps wind resistance.. mythbusters blew that theory outa the water some time ago... http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2005/11/episode_43_seasickness_cures_f.html

and everytime I see a daytona with that superbee straight outa da 70's wing on it... I almost crash my truck due to the gut belting laughter!!!

Just for the record I did not say anything regarding the tailgate down in regard to wind resistance. I know that's bullshit also.

And Tim, you are correct. This topic is a waste of time.

Silverback said:
Just for the record I did not say anything regarding the tailgate down in regard to wind resistance. I know that's bullshit also.

And Tim, you are correct. This topic is a waste of time.

I know you didn't .... but my points still stand... and I'd agree with you AND tim... this topic IS a waste of time... :D ... but I still ain't puttin that useless piece o plastic back on :p

tidnab said:
heh guess that'd do it :D but I'm pretty sure there's gotta be some weight transfer there as well.... then again ... I really have no idea
More like pure unadulterated horsepower in its wildest form.....

There is no suspension in the rear of em is nothing. Oh if you want to call the slicks growing or the chassis flexing a suspension you could in a sense LOL

tidnab said:
I know you didn't .... but my points still stand... and I'd agree with you AND tim... this topic IS a waste of time... :D ... but I still ain't puttin that useless piece o plastic back on :p

Sell it to Wifey. She's collecting stock parts.;) :D

Rice..... Rice..... I want to STAB that word in the face...

Rice this, rice that. Everyone takes up their torches and pitchforks and joins the bandwagon in the name of the Anti-Rice. ohhhhh~ evil rice

Though, admittedly most of my irritation comes from the 300ZX forum where everyone spouts out RICE every chance they get for any non stock 300. Rice refers to what? The staple food of Japan, hence Japanese imports. There are some damn nice cars from Japan. .... ok I'll shorten this by like 40 pages and just say there's a bad stigma attached and there is nothing wrong with wings and to sterotype wings with "Rice" IS RETARDED.... the end *twitch*
Oh and wings rock, see sig.

I am glad this issue has been clarified once and for all. Those damn SRT engineers must not know squat. How could the public have been so mislead?

They should come here and read this thread and maybe they would learn something. I only wish they could have been exposed to this over-abundance of technical knowledge before they wasted their time on the many other useless components on these worthless, poorly designed and ill conceived vehicles. :rolleyes:

:eek:

:D :D :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back