WTF is WrOnG WiTh My TrUcK

perk_1405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if any of you guys had a problem like me. i guess ill start from the begning i pm'ed msdnga i think he owns krc performance out of florida, about getting a sct tuner and getting him to tune it. so he called me the next day and explained it all to me and told me one of his tuners, or a guy he reccomends is in Durahm NC right now and could probably do it i say ok. so then sean the sct tuner gave me a call and said he could come to wilmington to do the tune so we got it all set up. we met at the dyno made some baseline pulls and he made a tune. i knew the sct wasnt going to make much higher numbers than the B&G. we made some more pulls and he played with the tune and could not get the hp to change no matter how much timming he put in or pulled the hp stayed the same:dontknow: every one seems to think it has a cracked piston, that lets the extra compression from advancing the timing. but if it had a bad piston wouldnt i be able to tell it. i dont think it would have made the numbers it did on the dyno. frick, it bothers me to no end. What the hell is wrong with my truck. he said he has never seen a truck not respond to timming. now i know it should to a certain point. please any ideas. im trying to get in touch with tom sessions to get him to look at it.

As far as I know,Stage twos are tough to crack.if you had a cracked piston,you would know!!!You might want to do a data scan first or try the stock P.C.M. with the S.C.T.

Like I said in a PM, compression check would be an easy first check. They just need to use a spark plug hole. Then leak down check if it is faulty.

You may not have a cracked cylinder but a less efficient one. But this is just a place to start with troubleshooting.

http://www.automedia.com/Compression_Check-Up/res20010301ct/1

Others will chime in.

But when you told me the numbers don't change when you vary the timing from 18-36 (and I don't recommend 36 degrees) seems to be a comm issue (PCM/Engine).

Last edited:
Bone said:
Like I said in a PM, compression check would be an easy first check. They just need to use a spark plug hole. Then leak down check if it is faulty.

You may not have a cracked cylinder but a less efficient one. But this is just a place to start with troubleshooting.

I agree with Bone,have a leak down test done,If it holds pressure its good,If it leaks out fast you have a prob.! :rock:

Was the pcm actually pulling timing? A fault cam sensor, or something wrong with the ring around the cam that it reads would cause no responce, if you have some sort of actual scanner you can see the actual amout of timeing being pulled or added real time. What were the numbers? If they were in the ok range (440 rwhp or so) I would lean towards a sensor or tuning problem. A crakced piston or piston with a pin hole in it would show some reduced power with some blow by. I see you have a k@n cia, is there any "blow by" oil on the crank case vent? My second guess is you have ported heads, was the cam reinstalled? if so are you sure its at TDC? My last guess is that the ported heads are flowing so good that a small cam timing adjustment on an inefficent cam isn't improving anything, i might believe this if you still have a stock cam...

BTW dont waste money on a compression test, do the leak down test...

perk_1405 said:
what does that mean?

communication

Even with a less efficient cylinder you should have seen the dyno produce different numbers at 18 degees of timing vs 36 degrees of timing (extreme).

I don't know much about the SCT so I don't want to comment or make suggestions from a guess. Is it a piggy back system or does it reflash the entire PCM? (I am not saying the SCT is faulty)

its like any other hand held programmer, like you would get for a diesel. you connect it to the diag. port and it stores the stock tune then you pick from three that you have down loaded in the sct.

BigRed460 said:
Was the pcm actually pulling timing? A fault cam sensor, or something wrong with the ring around the cam that it reads would cause no responce, if you have some sort of actual scanner you can see the actual amout of timeing being pulled or added real time. What were the numbers? If they were in the ok range (440 rwhp or so) I would lean towards a sensor or tuning problem. A crakced piston or piston with a pin hole in it would show some reduced power with some blow by. I see you have a k@n cia, is there any "blow by" oil on the crank case vent? My second guess is you have ported heads, was the cam reinstalled? if so are you sure its at TDC? My last guess is that the ported heads are flowing so good that a small cam timing adjustment on an inefficent cam isn't improving anything, i might believe this if you still have a stock cam...

I would think he would throw a code for a faulty cam sensor. I did when mine went bad.

Elliot, do you have any codes?

Did they hook up a scanner when you were dynoing to see the timing advancement?

BigRed460 said:

it made 460rwhp and 500lbtq, no oil or blow by. and it has the stock cam, but the cam shouldnt have anything to do with it not responding to timing, should it? im getting a cam asap

Hard to tell over the internet but give some time here so the others will give their 2 cents. Plenty more experience on this site.

A cam would be a great upgrade for your mods anyhow.

perk_1405 said:
how do i know how big to go? i plan on gettin a roe in the future.

Get some reliable numbers from the guy that ported your heads and then have a cam ground to match those numbers. For example, if the heads drop off in flow after .575" lift, there is no point in choosing a cam that has .675".

Choose your cam carefully, it is an important component. Because you have a lighter truck and a manual transmission, you could probably choose a more radical cam than the custom grind I am using in my quad cab. Talk to a cam manufacturer and others on sites like this before you make your final decision. Decide what you want your truck for first and tell the cam grinder that, so he can help you with your decision.

I have an SCT on the way as the mail order (Stage 2) tune is no longer viable with the Strikers and cam I have. And, from where I live, it would be too much trial and error to nail a really good tune shipping it back and forth.

Last edited:
perk_1405 said:
i was wondering if any of you guys had a problem like me. i guess ill start from the begning i pm'ed msdnga i think he owns krc performance out of florida, about getting a sct tuner and getting him to tune it. so he called me the next day and explained it all to me and told me one of his tuners, or a guy he reccomends is in Durahm NC right now and could probably do it i say ok. so then sean the sct tuner gave me a call and said he could come to wilmington to do the tune so we got it all set up. we met at the dyno made some baseline pulls and he made a tune. i knew the sct wasnt going to make much higher numbers than the B&G. we made some more pulls and he played with the tune and could not get the hp to change no matter how much timming he put in or pulled the hp stayed the same:dontknow: every one seems to think it has a cracked piston, that lets the extra compression from advancing the timing. but if it had a bad piston wouldnt i be able to tell it. i dont think it would have made the numbers it did on the dyno. frick, it bothers me to no end. What the hell is wrong with my truck. he said he has never seen a truck not respond to timming. now i know it should to a certain point. please any ideas. im trying to get in touch with tom sessions to get him to look at it.

Did you talk to Marty @ KRC?
Something isn't making sense here... I'm sure most guys with the stock e.c.u. quad cabs know how much these trucks fall off when the air intake temp gets around 180 and pulls out EIGHT degrees of timing, it is night and day.

If the timing in your truck really is changing, it isn't possible the engine continues to make the same power.

Nothing against your dyno facility, but can you try another one???

If you really had a cracked piston, you would know it.. If someone is telling you that is the reason your engine power isn't changing, quickly point to something up in the sky and then run away in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Did you talk to Marty @ KRC?
Something isn't making sense here... I'm sure most guys with the stock e.c.u. quad cabs know how much these trucks fall off when the air intake temp gets around 180 and pulls out EIGHT degrees of timing, it is night and day.

If the timing in your truck really is changing, it isn't possible the engine continues to make the same power.

Nothing against your dyno facility, but can you try another one???

If you really had a cracked piston, you would know it.. If someone is telling you that is the reason your engine power isn't changing, quickly point to something up in the sky and then run away in the opposite direction.

i sent a pm to marty one hour after the dyno and no response since. the guy that suggested a hole in the piston was martys sct tuner guy sean, then every one went running with it...

dan just called me back he thinks that the problem is the rest of my set up, the stock cam, stock manifolds. im working on getting the problem fixed as we speak. but as for the truck not responding to the tuning he guesses it was the button pusher. every one had me all worried that one of my pistons was fricked up. thanks dan for your input...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back