X-Metal GenX Shifter User Reviews:

Django

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Since Patrick was so gracious to share his skills and time with me by installing my new shifter today, I thought I'd make a little user review thread for those who wanna share their experiences with the new X-Metal GenX Shifter.....

Thanks Patrick, for opening your house and garage for me.... You are one of the very best hosts in the world, and I've met many.... His wife, Jenn is a sweetheart and I loved his dog "Foxy" too.... I won't tell you (to) what lengths Patrick will go to make a person feel welcome (no, he didn't do anything weird for me, ya bloody pervs:eek: ) He's just an incredibly generous person who's not only an ace wrench, but knows a thing or three about the right and wrong way to do stuff on a motor vehicle..... Thanks so much, Patrick.... Yer really a great human being.... No horseshit.

Afterwards, Kevin (Voodoo) stopped by and we smoked some Habanos and shot the shit. It was a very nice time. Great to see ya, Kev.:D

The shifter went in without much of a problem at all. The only thing that kept it from being a day at the park was the 100+ degree heat and the jimmying that it takes to get the old shifter loose from the tranny after you take the bolts out.... Patrick's done this 15-16 times, so it was no biggy.... He just kept jiggling that mutha 'til it came out....

I opted for the highest (longest) notch on the shifter to keep my rather beefy paw from hitting the new 7inch screen for my backup camera.... But some folks would surely wanna drop it down to the lower position.....:dontknow:

Lots has been said about the XMetal shifters being noisy from vibration. Here's my experience. With the AC fan on med-high, you can't even hear it... If you add tunes at a respectable volume for MEN to listen (no offense ladies) you'll never hear the little bit of sound vibration that comes from 6th gear..... Never! ...(this excludes all of you blessed with imaginary hearing and audio hallucinations)

OK, so if you turn off music and A/C there is a tiny bit of gear noise. So fking what? It's not even noticeable. To me, it is a NON issue.

Another complaint I've heard is that the shifter twists in your hand when going into first gear.... I truly didn't even notice it until I'd driven around for about an hour... It's such a slight twist that if you use a ball knob it's barely descernable..... For me, it's so insignificant (that) it isn't even worth mentioning. It's just a quirk.

With respect to what the shifter does.... moving you through the gears.... It's really the way this truck was meant to be.... The original shifter was so sloppy and imprecise that if ya' missed a shift, you must take it back into the neutral position in order to reorient yourself for the next motion...

The detents in this shifter make that game of "3rd gear hide and seek" a thing of the past.... It's still possible to miss (I guess)... But during the next hour and a half of driving, the only miss I made was (one) from 5th to 6th..( I went from 5th to fourth:eek: )... and that was my fault for not holding it in the gate properly.... I didn't miss again all day.... I simply had to get used to the linkage.

The shifts are made more deliberately through a well defined, tanglible set of gates. It's tight.. and the shifts are crisp.....as opposed to the stock shifter which is like dragging a fkn Lincoln Log through a bowl'a Malto-Meal.

Personally, I find none of the negatives that I've heard about previous generations of this shifter to be anything more than minor eccentricities which will melt into normality just like the other little changes that we make every day....

I love this shifter............ I think it fkn rocks.... :rock: I wouldn't go back to the original shifter if it returned to me in the late watches of the night nestled in the labia majora of a supermodel.....

Later.

D

Last edited:
So you give it a nine out of ten?:dontknow:
I'm ready... the stock one does s-ck!

I'm old but damn I still know a shift pattern!
one, two, three, four.........
Damn these new trucks...got two more gears!:)

Stagethree said:
So you give it a nine out of ten?:dontknow:
I'm ready... the stock one does s-ck!

I'm old but damn I still know a shift pattern!
one, two, three, four.........
Damn these new trucks...got two more gears!:)

Yer still at the mercy of the tranny ...and the T56 has never been my favorite.....

But, I think a 9 out of 10 would be very safe to say...........:rock:

Improvementwise there's no comparison....

D

Last edited:
would you F#$k OFF with this post bro..

see i thought i was happy with my stock shifter but your making this one sound to good to be true lol.. I might have to spend some cash on one one of these days..

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
would you F#$k OFF with this post bro..

see i thought i was happy with my stock shifter but your making this one sound to good to be true lol.. I might have to spend some cash on one one of these days..

I do apologize.................;)

D

Tim,

It was a pleasure having you over at the house....you know you are welcome here anytime. Thank you for the lunch and the wonderful cigar :)

Glad you made it ok and all it well.

Take care my friend :)

Patrick

If anybody wants to sell their old shifter if they have a GEN IV or something similar, let me know!
Man I want that GEN X...why'd you have to post this Dr. D?? Geeeeez!!!!

It was great hooking up with ya D and glad u are happy with the shifter. I had a great time smoking, kicking back and shooting the shit with ya. Wish u could have stayed longer but it was great seeing ya again and hope to see you soon....

Man the truck looked good and I think Pat nailed it on the head when he said chromed rims would really look kick ass on the beast :p :p :p

FREE TO A GOOD HOME

1 Stock Hurst Shifter for '04 Ram SRT-10 truck.......

....... just pay shipping..............

If you are in desperate financial need, I may even pay the shipping.

Have a really good story ready............:nurse: ;) :toilet: :dontknow:

D

Django said:
Personally, I find none of the negatives that I've heard about previous generations of this shifter to be anything more than minor eccentricities which will melt into normality just like the other little changes that we make every day....

Later.

D
well, i think that statement would likely say it all....... all the fixes are finally made in this last rev & it's the cheapest costing of all the rev's......

my gen4 is a noisy bitch, but i haven't missed third since i installed it along with the viper master/slave upgrade.......

so, anyone waiting should probably jump on the best, cheapest costing rev of the gen series while they're available......:D

Last edited:
Voodoo said:
It was great hooking up with ya D and glad u are happy with the shifter. I had a great time smoking, kicking back and shooting the shit with ya. Wish u could have stayed longer but it was great seeing ya again and hope to see you soon....

Man the truck looked good and I think Pat nailed it on the head when he said chromed rims would really look kick ass on the beast :p :p :p

Was great to see you too, bro... I enjoyed our time together...... Yer good people.:rock:

D

I do hope more of y'all have additional information or experience that might be helpful.

If you disagree or have an issue/problem. It too is welcome here.....

D

I copied this over from the thread I originally posted on so it can be in the official review section .................. :D

As you know, Jerry installed my Gen10(X) shifter. Yes, I am not stock any more. We are totally stoked with this shifter and wanted to give it a little product review :D

First off, it a MUST HAVE even for stock lovers like me. It is the difference between night and day for both normal shifting and power shifting. Granted, I can use some practice with the power shifting, but guaranteeeeed it will not be long with this shifter!!! Trainman, here I come :p :p :p

I had my shift man, Yettie, put it through the tough throws for me He has given it the Yettie labratories 100% seal of approval and lemme tell you, that is not easy to come by :eek: :D

As far as noise - what noise ??? If you are in 5th or 6th and lugging along at 900 rpm, you may get some rattle, but there is a nifty little fix for that called downshift and don't drive like an old lady!!! :p ;) ;)

The install was easy and everything needed, but the tools, are included. The variable adjustments to the handle make it possible for anyone to use it comfortably. I am 5'4 and yettie is 6'4 and we can both use it easily. We installed with both lever sections to the left of the main sticky uppy thingy :rolleyes: at the lowest height and I can still shift with the console down.

As much as I hate agreeing with a Redneck, Stinker nailed this one - it dances in your hand :rock: , just let the shifter do the work. Like the instructions say, just use the palm of your hand from 2nd to 3rd and it will happen on it's own - tooo easy! It is nothing like the stock one where you gotta manhandle the thing and hope you are gonna get into the right gear (namely 3rd) at the right time or 2nd at the wrong time, and well you get it.:(

Now we just need Gary to make up an X-Metal billet cue ball style shifter knob (in Pink alloy of course ) ........

Satisfaction rating is a 10 PLUS and honestly I cannot claim any added horsepower for this mod - just a loss of at least 2 seconds off your et's

Disclaimer: I have not been monetarily compensated by the manufacturer in any way. This is a completely unbiased and honest no BS product review.

Last edited:
I have one too and love it. It just seems to find the gears for you. The shifts feel so slick as you move it through the shift pattern. It is the way the shifter should have been from the factory on a $50K truck.

There is a slight vibration noise from it in 6th and below 1.5K rpm but it's not terrible. And it does have a twisting action to it but again is not bad when you use a ball shift knob. If you use a "T" handle it may exaggerate the motion.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. With it being a three piece system (Base, mid handle, top handle), you have many options for getting the knob right where you want it (position and height). If your on the fence about getting one, don't wait too long. He may not keep the $399 price forever.

I found something I didn't like...

It may be more about my ball having crappy threads or something of that sort, but, the threaded section of the upper stick was too long. I couldn't thread it down all the way to cover them up. I often hold the shifter like a wine glass, so my hand is usually holding the under side of the ball. I've been mauling myself on that thing all week.

So this weekend, while I was putting in the clutch & stuff, I decided to pull the ol' grinder out as slice that thing in half. It makes the overall length about 2/3" shorter but so far it works for me.

Besides that, this is a seriously good shifter. Anyone who complains about the twisting doesn't understand what it's doing. It's aiming itself at the next gear. 1st through 4th is simply a matter of mashing back-and-forth with no sideways pressure at all...NICE!!!:rock: That's the way things should be. 5th and 6th need a little sideways pressure, but by the time you're up there, you should be really concentrating on steering...:p

Attachments

• CutShaftBefore.jpg
    CutShaftBefore.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 55
  • CutShaftAfter.JPG
    CutShaftAfter.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 54
v8eater said:
I often hold the shifter like a wine glass, so my hand is usually holding the under side of the ball. I've been mauling myself on that thing all week.

So this weekend, while I was putting in the clutch & stuff, I decided to pull the ol' grinder out as slice that thing in half. It makes the overall length about 2/3" shorter but so far it works for me.

I noticed the ball wouldn't screw down all the way also. I had a 3/8-16 nut in the shop so I used it as a spacer. Screwed the stock jamb nut on all the way down first then the 3/8th nut then the shifter ball as far as it would go. Ran the 3/8th up under the shifter ball and tightened it. It almost dissappears into the recess under the shifter ball. Then tightened the stock jamb nut up against the 3/8th nut. No more threads showing. The reason I didn't cut the arm is I wanted the shifter ball to sit a high as possible. Both good solutions to not wanting to see the threads either way.

My second day with the shifter provided me with some additional insights for all those undecided about Boomers new GenX shifter.

This shifter leaves no doubt in your right hand on the pathway through the gears.... particularly 3rd..... (You know....."The Twilight Zone") ... I've had shifters that actually clicked through the neutral gate... This one is firm like those but makes no sound... It's just very fkn solid and gives you back the "gear jammers" confidence you once had.... (Remember...?... Before you bought the SRT-10 truck.....)

I feel like I'm banging the old M22 again............ It's fun......!!!

Ok, so it's not as satisfying as doing "The Bull Rider" position with Penelope Cruz or Selma Hayak..... (that's where you ride her from the back with a breast in each hand..... You say, "Baby, these feel just like your sister's"... Then you try to stay on for 8 seconds.....)

No horseshit............This shifter rules...........

D

Good review, can't wait to order mine. One question, do you have any photos of the shift height (interior)?
You said you had it at the highest notch, so, I'd be quite interested to see how high it is and how high it is/looks against the stock shifters.

Thanks,
Carl

:)

So before I install mine this weekend, so I need to cut some of the thread's off so the stock ball will fit without showing any thread's?

Hey Wifey....I'm so scared I'm thinking of going back to the stock shifter just so I'll have an excuse....LOL No , Really ...good luck with your practice sessions and I might even give you a pointer or two the next time you are up Bakersfield way. Trainman

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back