X-Metal lowering kit?

BIG NANA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm ordering an X-Metal lowering kit on Monday, I just wanted to know if anybody with a Regular cab has installed one and what additional mods had to be done for the front if any. You know, like for the proper alignment?

I did one on a Q/C, which is more difficult than an R/C as I understand it, but the instructions were very clear on what to do, you should not have any issues.

You should probably also get the bumpsteer and rear sway bar kits which relocate or adjust the angle of the tie rod (?) and rear sway bar back to stock. I'm having the lowering kit and the other kits put on mine next month. It will also get an alignment.

An alignment is all you 'need' to do but its a good idea to do the sway bar and bumpsteer kit upgrades ;)

I just have a drop kit. You definatly need to get an alignment. As for the bumpsteer and sway bar upgrades, I never had a problem to need them. I have had the kit on for 2 years.

patrick

On my 05 I had to open up the upper A arm slots to get camber/caster back into factory parameters. I know a lot of guys just did toe in but spend a little more time and get camber right. To get in the ball park put a 24" level on the rim in vertical position prior to installing the kit. Notate the camber then once you install the lower kit, reattach wheels and drop it back onto the ground (be sure and roll the truck first) use the level to see where you're at then go from there. Leave a little extra wiggle room for your alignment guy and you're set.

Installation is pretty straight forward. If you are doing it yourself take afew extra minutes and remove heavy items like calipers and rotors before disconnecting upper A arms to swap out springs.

BIG NANA said:
I'm ordering an X-Metal lowering kit on Monday, I just wanted to know if anybody with a Regular cab has installed one and what additional mods had to be done for the front if any. You know, like for the proper alignment?

What year is your truck ?

06, what kind of problems did you run into? The ride height in the photos looks really good, is that the drop you achieved with the x-metal drop kit, did you do any additional work?

PDR-GUY said:
What year is your truck ?
What problems did you have with your drop?? I ordered a drop kit for the same exact truck. Should be arriving anytime now. Best color too!!!

Chuck B said:
On my 05 I had to open up the upper A arm slots to get camber/caster back into factory parameters. I know a lot of guys just did toe in but spend a little more time and get camber right. To get in the ball park put a 24" level on the rim in vertical position prior to installing the kit. Notate the camber then once you install the lower kit, reattach wheels and drop it back onto the ground (be sure and roll the truck first) use the level to see where you're at then go from there. Leave a little extra wiggle room for your alignment guy and you're set.

Installation is pretty straight forward. If you are doing it yourself take afew extra minutes and remove heavy items like calipers and rotors before disconnecting upper A arms to swap out springs.

i ordered the c/c bolt kit from dodge instead of opening the holes.

QueLocura said:
What problems did you have with your drop?? I ordered a drop kit for the same exact truck. Should be arriving anytime now. Best color too!!!

06 front ends are different and the front springs in the kit are to short.
If I'm driving down the hiway, anything over 70 and go over a rough bridge (that little dip before and after the bridge like most hiways have) My tires come up and hit my plastic fender liners.
When I told gary this he said I should have bought race springs :dontknow:
Also notice that when you jack up the front of your truck with the kit installed that there is more than an 1" of play for the spring to flop around.

Sorry all, I have held my peace on this matter for 6 months now and I know GARY IS GOD to most of you as far as a vendor and I have no problems with the other products I got from him.

However I don't want other members go through the same crap I'm going through (worried every time I drive on the hiway) and gary has denied there is a problem with the kit on 06 models and thats why I havent been posting for the last 4 months or so.

There I said it and if you want to PM me feel free.
Gene

This is on the 06 RC I dont know if it is the same on 06 QC
Gene

Last edited:
PDR-GUY said:
If I'm driving down the hiway, anything over 70 and go over a rough bridge (that little dip before and after the bridge like most hiways have) My tires come up and hit my plastic fender liners.
Also notice that when you jack up the front of your truck with the kit installed that there is more than an 1" of play for the spring to flop around.

Sorry all, I have held my peace on this matter for 6 months now and I know GARY IS GOD to most of you as far as a vendor and I have no problems with the other products I got from him.

However I don't want other members go through the same crap I'm going through (worried every time I drive on the hiway) and gary has denied there is a problem with the kit on 06 models and thats why I havent been posting for the last 4 months or so.

Gene

Gene
I think that if you buy a product, it should fit right and you should feel safe....That sux your truck does that. With mine(05 RC), it takes a very BIG dip for my tires to do that and even at that it rubs just a little bit.
Good luck on resolving your problem.

PDR-GUY said:

Gene

Gene

Holy shit...that sounds dangerous and I'm on the highway A LOT.
have you tried other springs to see if it made a difference??

QueLocura said:
Holy shit...that sounds dangerous and I'm on the highway A LOT.
have you tried other springs to see if it made a difference??

No I havent, I assumed proper research had been done on 06 models and the springs would work correct.
Thats why you spend the money on this lowering PACKAGE because you think its all going to work together :dontknow:

PDRGUY...what was the settings on the alignment when you were done? Sounds like the top of the tire is leaning outwards....No one wants you to feel like you can't post issue's...it's when you don't know the facts that we get bent out of shape, and sounds like your issue is something that needs attention for other 06 owners.. Mistakes and issues can arise in all buisness transactions involving new production models...kind of a learning curve for those that come after you ..hope things work out, and post all you want bro.

WAZZSUP said:
PDRGUY...what was the settings on the alignment when you were done? Sounds like the top of the tire is leaning outwards....No one wants you to feel like you can't post issue's...it's when you don't know the facts that we get bent out of shape, and sounds like your issue is something that needs attention for other 06 owners.. Mistakes and issues can arise in all buisness transactions involving new production models...kind of a learning curve for those that come after you ..hope things work out, and post all you want bro.
well said brother well said.:rock: :rock:

Okay, lets see what we can do here.

Based on the picture it does not appear to be setting any lower than my truck. I just measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well opening and it's 32.5 inches while it's on level ground.

What does yours measure?

Next question, and this is for those that installed their own kit on an 04 or 05. Does your spring rattle around when you jack up the truck? If so I'm surprised by this as it's not really the way to do things like this.

So lets start there and see where this goes.

Yea, I agree, I have ordered the xmetal kit for my 06 RC and I sure don't want no problems, did you put the rubber shim back in when you put the new spring in, assuming there is a rubber shim in the front spring pocket, I know on my Chevy there was when I did it a few years ago.

Still, the look is right! Did you polish your wheels, They look awful shiny?! I have those same mirrors for RC too. Helps clean up the outside look of the truck

My alighnment is correct, I know this because the tech that did it has done alighnments for our shop (from 5 to 15 a week) since 1999
I have the print out around here somewhere.
I did install it my self on my lift at work one evening ,I am ASE certified and I-car certified and have been an autotech for 26 years.

Mine measures 32.3/8 Hardly any difference from yours Silver ?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back