X-Metal lowering kit?

I am 6.4 and 235 and I first thought it was just the driverside that was rubbing (my fat ass) but when looking on the right it has been rubbing to.

I would very much like to here from someone who has an 06 rc with this lowering kit on it ?

Last edited:
I'm 6'3" and 285lbs. I hope to have mine installed this weekend, I'll let you know ASAP after I install it.

Just so you know, The instuctions say to slot the holes on the upper control arm mounting points (on the frame) but the 06 dosent adjust from the upper control arm it adjust from the lower arm so disreguard that part. (unless gary has revised the instructions)

PDR-GUY said:
My alighnment is correct, I know this because the tech that did it has done alighnments for our shop (from 5 to 15 a week) since 1999
I have the print out around here somewhere.
I did install it my self on my lift at work one evening ,I am ASE certified and I-car certified and have been an autotech for 26 years.

Mine measures 32.3/8 Hardly any difference from yours Silver ?

Well I only asked because it was an issue with mine....seems you took care of that. Your too frick'n big for me to argue with, but then again so is just about anyone on this site. Mine and outnumbered are some of the lowest out there and I just don't bottom out now that I have boomers kit on.....but I sure did with Hennessy's kit. The spring rate was wrong from the get go.

Man I do like the top pic of your truck.....and the plane in the garage:)

Last edited:
Yea, Gary already told me about that, and he said the only thing I needed to do was make sure the alignment was done properly

BIG NANA said:
I'm 6'3" and 285lbs. I hope to have mine installed this weekend, I'll let you know ASAP after I install it.

By the way if you could take a pic of the springs before the install and email them I would be gratefull :)

Maybe I got the wrong springs :dontknow:

Last edited:
mmmmtorque said:
An alignment is all you 'need' to do but its a good idea to do the sway bar and bumpsteer kit upgrades ;)

What this intelligent man said.............:rock:

D

I have no problem with that, I'll be glad to. If you want just PM me so I don't forget, or keep an eye out. I agree with you, that we buy this stuff from guys that are supposed to do the research we either can't do, don't want to do, or don't have time to do. That's why we pay for the "kits". Part of a kit is supposed to be R&R done right. But from the Total reviews, Gary does seem to have a overall rep thats good.

I don't have a RC,but I just got through having the XMetal 2/4 drop kit on my QC !A previously installed kit (not X Metal)was installed one weekend,and taken back off the next.When this new one went on,I was able to compare the front spring between both kits,and found the XMetal kit to be substantially thicker !!!NO riding on the bump stops ! The rear end,was a little different,as I had to use my stock shackles as no new ones were provided in the kit !!!So far I've only bottomed out the back end once,but the ride in general was decent !!!This time around the kit's a keeper !!Maybe a little bit longer shackle down the road will be in order !!!:dontknow:

Damn...
i am gonna keep my fingers crossed on this one. I should be installing the kit within a week or two.

Got started on the lowering and should be finished by Friday night. I will be posting pictures of the stock front coil next to the x-metal coil and the McGaughys Spring. I have the rear done right now, so when I finish the front up, I'll post up those pictures.

I have not yet installed the X-Metal kit on my 05, hope to get started soon. There will be extensive use of the digital camera before and after.

BIG NANA said:
I'm ordering an X-Metal lowering kit on Monday, I just wanted to know if anybody with a Regular cab has installed one and what additional mods had to be done for the front if any. You know, like for the proper alignment?

I got the lowering kit and it functions wonderfully. Handles like a sports car. I had a friend install it and I had to get it aligned afterwards, but that was no big deal. I am looking into new bumpstops and airbags, because the roads here suck. The airbags are more for towing than anything else.

Hey guys, I have the McGaughys springs in right now, There is an upside down side to these damn springs, I'll take the pictures of the three springs Friday night, going to test the McGaughys springs Saturday AM then the X-metal on Saturday PM. I'll let you know the results Sat. or Sun Night. Thanks for all of the advice and guidiance so far. I really appreciate it.

Well, I had the McGaughy on the passenger side and the X-metal in the drivers side, It did not make a difference in the ride height. They both brought the front done equally. The difference I believe is in the ride. The Mcgaughys uses the stock shocks and the coil is the same thickness as the stock spring but the wind appears to create the drop. The x[metal is much heavier, it is shorter and the shock that comes with the kit is shorter. I'll post photos on Saturday and I'll report on the ride as well. The Mcgaughys did seem to be at best the same as stock but more than likely it would be harsher, They also came w/o instructions and nothing for replacing the front bump stops.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back