X-metal Shifter install

VIPER

JTS VENOM SERIES SRT-10
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im installing the X metal shifter when i tigthin it all down there alot of

( well i started to write this msg at 4pm,... while i was writing this post i got a call from my cuz who was baby sittin my son,. and was on the way to my house to drop him off - he tells me he was in a car crash,.. " my hart DROPED " i rushed out the door and went to the his location. everyone was ok - i took my son and my cuz to the hospital and im just gettin home - there alittle shackin up but ok his DODGE RAM HEMI on the other hand not so well )

when installin the shifter - i made sure that it was lined up and bolted it down hand tight then put in 3rd and tightin it all down

my Question is " there seems to be alot of play in the shifter compared to the stock - not side to side up up and down there alot of movement,... is there normal ?

Stinker said:
Glad everyones ok bud:rock:

the shifter, well dont know , but wouldnt think it should have up and down play:confused:

you know what could be couse'in this ? or a bad install ? - i removed the shifter - and im heading out to the GAR 1st thing in the AM, to do it again

looking for any suggestions :)

VIPER said:
you know what could be couse'in this ? or a bad install ? - i removed the shifter - and im heading out to the GAR 1st thing in the AM, to do it again

looking for any suggestions :)
if i remember correct, but I wasnt a gen X lover , it twisted too much for me, but i dont think it had any play in it:confused: you may have to take it aprt and check the insides:dontknow:

Stinker said:
if i remember correct, but I wasnt a gen X lover , it twisted too much for me, but i dont think it had any play in it:confused: you may have to take it aprt and check the insides:dontknow:

ok buddy -- plz do expline :confused: :D :confused:

i dont have a problem doing that - just dont know wat to look for

VIPER said:
ok buddy -- plz do expline :confused: :D :confused:

i dont have a problem doing that - just dont know wat to look for
well from what I remember Gary used a sperical bearing, that would be what I would look for

Stinker said:
well from what I remember Gary used a sperical bearing, that would be what I would look for

oh? :confused: :confused: :confused:

so if the bearing is spun/broke .... and X-metal is O.O.B how do i fix it ?

Stinker said:
dont knwo bro, never had one apart:dontknow:

your jsut gonna have to puller apart and see whats in there:D

ok - im going to take lots of PICTURES and send them to you !!! lol

ok - well see what happends

VIPER said:
im installing the X metal shifter when i tigthin it all down there alot of

( well i started to write this msg at 4pm,... while i was writing this post i got a call from my cuz who was baby sittin my son,. and was on the way to my house to drop him off - he tells me he was in a car crash,.. " my hart DROPED " i rushed out the door and went to the his location. everyone was ok - i took my son and my cuz to the hospital and im just gettin home - there alittle shackin up but ok his DODGE RAM HEMI on the other hand not so well )

when installin the shifter - i made sure that it was lined up and bolted it down hand tight then put in 3rd and tightin it all down

my Question is " there seems to be alot of play in the shifter compared to the stock - not side to side up up and down there alot of movement,... is there normal ?
There's NO play in the shifter, if it's right it's tight! :p
Now the question is who did you buy this from?
And your next move IMO is to fine someone with any X-Metal shifter and you'll feel the tight patern.
I too own the X-Metal "X" have many happy miles on her :congrats:

Quick

QuickSilver said:
There's NO play in the shifter, if it's right it's tight! :p
Now the question is who did you buy this from?
And your next move IMO is to fine someone with any X-Metal shifter and you'll feel the tight patern.
I too own the X-Metal "X" have many happy miles on her :congrats:

Quick

i got it from DevilDawg3097 i doubt he would sell me something that was not in workin order :)

it's a X-metal Gen V shifter

i only know " besides all of you " 2 ppl around here with Viper's " ram and car " and they are not mod'd :(

im not sure why it would not be tight .... side to side its REALLY tight but it wiggles Alot :p

VIPER said:
i got it from DevilDawg3097 i doubt he would sell me something that was not in workin order :)

i only know " besides all of you " 2 ppl around here with Viper's " ram and car " and they are not mod'd :(

im not sure why it would not be tight .... side to side its REALLY tight but it wiggles Alot :p

I wonder if that is the shifter I dumped on dawg?.:confused: .........................J/k....I have the Gen V and luv it....shifts great and has no play like you are talking about...I am not much in the shifter knowledge so cant help you...:dontknow:

when i install mine the tranny was in neutral and went thru the gears when everything was tighten down dont know if thats the way to do it but it work for me and it has no play, also did you check if the bushing was still in there before you install the new shifter

TNVIPER said:
I wonder if that is the shifter I dumped on dawg?.:confused: .........................J/k....I have the Gen V and luv it....shifts great and has no play like you are talking about...I am not much in the shifter knowledge so cant help you...:dontknow:

Actually I think that's the one I sold to him... and I got it from tsmith3:D That shifter has been around! WHORE:D

If I remember right, there was some play:dontknow: but it worked fine. I just like the B&M better.

LoveThisTruck said:
Actually I think that's the one I sold to him... and I got it from tsmith3:D That shifter has been around! WHORE:D

If I remember right, there was some play:dontknow: but it worked fine. I just like the B&M better.

I was joking but I did sell Dawg a B&M....I tried both shifters and liked both. I just sold the B&M because I didnt want to remove the X and reinstall the B&M...

i have a gen4 in my truck.... it is definitely tighter in the shifting pattern than the stock hurst, not loose as you describe.... the only thing that some people don't like is how the shifter pivots slightly as you shift, i use a ball shifter so it doesn't bother me....... :) the other thing is it tends to be noisier than the b&m & the hurst..... just turn up da music baby. :D

VIPER said:

I'd sell you my gen.IV, but it's the back-up to my gen.X...just in case. The guy that used to make them... doesn't anymore. :(

Be real hard to replace,
Quick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back