X-Metal Throttle Body

todd hughes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do to computer problems I havent been able to visit the site to tell you guys
how impressed I am with the throttle body I purchased from Gary. I see
some of you have already bought it. For those who havent its a MUST!
I would highly recommend this product to anyone whos looking for a great
modification for their truck. Its really made a differents in mine with a faster
throttle response and it does idles much smoother. Not to mention, the quality of Garys machine work is FABULOUS! "WELCOME BACK GARY"
Weather you are on this site or not, your the man!! And I know where to find you. I would gladly recommend X-Metal to anyone whos looking for great mods for their trucks. Keep up the good work!!

do you have a pic of the stock and his side by side,,,,,, How much does it cost? can you really feal it accelerate faster

No, I dont have any pictures. The throttle body is polished with a wide open throat. Yes, there is a big difference in the throttle response. It added 10 more hp to the back wheels. It cost $590.00 and is worth every penny of it!
If your intersted you can call Gary @ 812-477-1740.

my T B from boomer was shipped last wednesday should be here on monday.:rock: evey little bit of HP adds up.......................

Ram From Hell said:
todd hughes said:
Its really made a differents in mine with a faster
throttle response and it does idles much smoother.
I can see some improvement in throttle response, but idle?

In any case, it's a great looking piece of gear.:rock:

You know, people say improvement at idle.. I Honestly couldn't tell... i thought it
might be a deeper sound or smoother idle.. :dontknow: maybe Gary can clearify
what it does to the engine at idle? :D

Sharpi

Stinker said:
$10 says it didnt add 10 hp:p
i beleive my brotha here is making a funny, in light of a previous post in the past, hence the smiley with a tongue.;) :D

here are a stock TB and the X-Metal one. here is a post i made on the VCA about it.
we cnc it from military spec T-6 aluminum and we cnc the blade out of stainless steel, and everything is micro-polished for a mirror shine inside and out. when the machining operations are performed, the throttle body is completely fixtured and bolted down to replicate the way it will be attached to the intake manifold for a precise apeture bore and to maintain the center axis alignment for the throttle shaft.
We also incorporated 4 internal shaft bearings to hold tighter side to side tolerances and allow for a smoother throttle pull than stock.

We will have TB's for Gen2's in the very near future as well as the 2008 model.

Originally Posted by Nader
I am very interested. Can you explain where in the new design is the additional power created? The larger bore, smoother airflow etc.? Trust me I am not doubting your claims one bit. Prior to any performance part purchase I always want as much information about the product and how it works and the improvements over stock. While i understand the benefits of better tolerences and the benefits of the shaft bearing you dont speak much about how it creates the additional power.

good points. we tested other TB's over the years without much success in finder one that made more power without a trade off in other areas-like idle and throttle response. its easy to go too big, or not enough. one of the ways that we do make power with our TB is the machining process, it allows tighter tolerances around the blade area-(and the blade is also polished after be machined), for improved throttle response and great idle qualities. this and a carefully designed blade and bore size and shape allows for smoother transition for the airflow into the intake, whil keeping port velocity high.
the stock throttle body is a dual butterfly design. it has 2 round openings. this is fine for a massed produced unit, and an EPA concerned package but it is done with bean counter in mind and the fact that since the stock TB is cast, they dont have to worry about clearance issues, since having 2 blades, with a tapered bore allows for good throttle response but at the a lower cost. think of it as striker heads/ported heads VS stock heads. the stock heads are ok,(sorta) but with budget constraints what they are, they could be better. our TB is the same comparison.
i posted some pics here of what a stock unit looks like compared to ours. our unit isnt completely assembled in these photos, i just grabbed one for these shots here.

todd hughes said:
Do to computer problems I havent been able to visit the site to tell you guys
how impressed I am with the throttle body I purchased from Gary. I see
some of you have already bought it. For those who havent its a MUST!
I would highly recommend this product to anyone whos looking for a great
modification for their truck. Its really made a differents in mine with a faster
throttle response and it does idles much smoother. Not to mention, the quality of Garys machine work is FABULOUS! "WELCOME BACK GARY"
Weather you are on this site or not, your the man!! And I know where to find you. I would gladly recommend X-Metal to anyone whos looking for great mods for their trucks. Keep up the good work!!
Todd, thank you very much. its always a pleasure to talk with you. i hope we get to meet at the Nats. are you going!?

BOOMER said:
i beleive my brotha here is making a funny, in light of a previous post in the past, hence the smiley with a tongue.;) :D

exactly hence the smily face, It was meaning it should make more not less

Stinker said:
exactly hence the smily face, It was meaning it should make more not less
thank you my man. btw, i might have to bribe you into coming up here and helping me get my shtuff done on before the nats! is yout TT monster ready?
where you at today, i been calling ya!

What's funny is on lt1's they instaled a piece that fit in the middle of the tb to split the flow, lowering the turbulance. But with the open area of the XM i cant see how it wouldn't help the engine.

largeimage.asp

bigike said:
What's funny is on lt1's they instaled a piece that fit in the middle of the tb to split the flow, lowering the turbulance. But with the open area of the XM i cant see how it wouldn't help the engine.

largeimage.asp
they are slowing the air down since they have a limited mass air flow sensor.
look at real perfomance throttle bodys for other applications and a smooth bore-no splitter is where its at. that why flat slide carbs (the slide disappears into the carb body) on roadracing engines took over and surpassed any butterfly design.
i even thought of a slide type TB for the Viper engine, but the production costs would be staggering, but i cant ever rule it out.
but simply put more air in, more air out. you want as little restricion as possible but keep velocity high at lower throttle openings, and thats why no splitter works best. the piece from summit does seem to make sense, but they dont so much in reality

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back