X-Pipe with Magnaflow?

The "after" explosion of unburned fuel in the exhaust. The backfire. Happens at that spot i guess. Also the hottest portion of the flame front being spit out by the engine is the very tip of it. By putting a cross over at that spot, it allow the fumes to evacuate down both pipes greatly reducing all the **** talk and popping. Top end power for x pipe, low end torque for H. The x pipe effectivly cross overs the exhaust throughout the rpm. The H pipe kinda dissappears as the rpm increases and subsequent pressure increases. The exhaust flow goes straight through its pipe and it really doesnt do much but equalize pressure.

Only thing is. This is much more effective on V-8's because they fire left, right, left right. The Viper fires both banks at the same time. Essentially a dual in line 5 cylinder. As a result you dont get the vacuum behind the pulse of exhaust gases to scavenge the exhaust from the opposite pipe.

Headers with the 2 into 3 setup for each side, helps pull some of the exhaust out the next cylinder from the same bank, but due to the nature of the dual firing 5's crossovers dont do a whole lot for power on these engines.

The Magnaflow Dual in Dual out muffler has a true x. Which means both inlets merge into one single 2.5 or 3 inch area, crosses over each other exits out opposite sides of the outlet. This would work great on a V-8 as you would only have one pipe at a time pressurized from that exhaust stroke.

However when you have both pipes trying to evacuate exhaust gases through the converged x pipe, in the magnaflow muffler, i think it causes congestion and un-needed backpressure. X pipe before the muffler would make no difference, just exacerbate the issue.

BIG FAIL :hmmmm2:
Was looking up exhaust options and came across this. Seriously, Really.. Uhmmmm........Why is there a firing order for these engines that does go left right left right. I think I've even seen it posted here before. Or am I missing something. Can someone shed some light...

I take a very humble, but common sense approach to this subject. Internal combustion engine is an internal combustion engine. I dont think there is a magical combination to these engines for exhaust or that it takes a tuning prodigy gift from god to dial the tune in. Sure they have their querks. But physics is physics. I put 8 completely different custom exhaust systems on my last truck within 3 weeks. Different mufflers, crossovers, you name it. Ultimately the only changes were sound and amount of popping.

The stock system from the cat back is not bad. Its quiet. But if you look in it, its a perforated core (not even louvered) straight through muffler with a straight through resonator. Its even somewhat mandrel bent. The manifolds are decently long tubed, and free flowing. Most will tell you there is little change going with short tubes, and just a tad more with long tubes. Most cant feel the difference, and the cost ultimately isnt justified unless you have the money to blow, or like the way it looks. Once you get the catalytic converters off (The rears specifically) There isnt going to be much a difference in power, and seat of the pants difference between the the stock system and a 2k dollar header 600 dollar mid a 1k cat back system. The only difference a cat back is going to make is sound if thats the only thing that changes. If anyone thinks im wrong, go suck a ****. Told you i was humble.

The second generation magnaflow, what can i say, at least it doesnt rust as bad as the first. But it has a 2.5 inch bottle neck between the mids and the system. Doesnt do much good to spend all that money on 3" mandrel bent stainless system with hfc mids and put a 2.5 inch connector on it. First fail. And as i eluded to earlier the muffler's internal crossover is not befitting the dynamic of our dual firing v-10. It seems they just used it because it fit. It just doesnt make sense to me. And subjectively, it sounds like ****. (no offense Geodriller) At least the exhaust tips are pretty.

Your not going to make any discernable difference in output, swapping the system you have, or modifying the crossover or muffler selection, if the muffler remains flow through and not chambered. These engines, naturally aspirated require backpressure for the low rpm torque needed to get their heavy asses off the line. After the cats are gone, mission accomplished. You got the restriction out of the way. You changed the power curve. Now pick the rest of the sytem that sounds good to you, and **** everyone elses ears. Make them blead if thats what you want......

I mostly agree with you.

I think the best bang for the buck in power and sound is to delete the cats and install an "H" pipe but keep the stock muffler.That is for 04's.

On 05-06's you also need to delete the resonators.

I don't know if the crossovers help power but they really take out the popping and horrible raspy sounds.

My question is does the X pipe or H pipe have any effect on eliminating droan Jeff?? I think your probably one of the few guys that have spent alot of time and money on exhaust and I completely trust your opinion.
Heres what I have for exhaust,I have LT Mopar headers,no cats,Bassani duel in/out muffler and its 3" from muffler back (I went 3" because the pipe was not mandrel bent so it gets smaller probably really close to 2 1/2" on the bends so the whole exhausts smallest spot would be no smaller then 2 1/2" all the way) and I have some HORRIBLE DROAN at 2200-3000 RPM its like someone has your head in a vise after about 10 minutes on the highway! And of course it right around the 75MPH mark,right where you cruise at!!
I have a Bassani Xpipe to put in it and was thinking of putting resonators back in before the tips where the stock one were located??

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back