My engine blew up. :mad:

FlyingLow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the STS finally took it's toll on my engine. Lost the #3 piston on the dyno. :mad: I had to rent a car to drive the 7 hours home. But it took Marty and I awhile to find a rental place that was open. Not positive on what happened to the piston. We did lots of dyno runs and had the A/F nice and steady. We did one last run to check for a transmission leak (didn't have one) and at the end there was a Boost spike around 8 psi. I don't know for sure cause once I heard the marbles in the trash can sound I knew my engine was damaged. At that point I didn't really care what caused it, I was just in shock that I just lost my engine. Still feeling a little numb just thinking about it. Anyways I have to wait till Monday/Tuesday to see how much damage was actually done. Now I have to figure out what to do. Best I can tell right now I have 3 choices.

1. Do a bandaid fix with replacement stock internals, remove the turbo and trade the truck in.

2. Put in forged internals and keep the turbo on.

3. Stock internals and remove the turbo. I will just go back to being N/A.

The biggest factor at this point is $$$$. Almost can't afford to keep the truck but can't afford to sell it either. Just have to wait and see what the damage is. Anyone have any suggestions on what else I could do?

Damn Scott! Sorry to hear about your truck.

I think I would take the turbo off, and go back to N/A, then keep it.

JMO

Dammit, Smoke! I sure did want to see that truck run next weekend. You better still be coming to the GTG! Sorry to hear about your truck. I know you're sick! Good Luck! Hope you can keep the truck!

So sorry to hear about your loss. Sounds like the cheapest way out is return to NA. Maybe later on go with Roe.

Sorry Scott....

When you rebuild, just make sure you check the oil pump good. That contributed to Big Asps second loss, some of the shavings got caught up in it. I think it was FastJack that got him a replacement. Big Asp went with a total rebuild but got rid of the STS.

I do have a question. Was this with STS's new and improved Fuel management system that they have been promoting?

VJ

I'm real sorry to hear that this happened Smoke.

Probably the cheapest and quickest way to get the truck back on the road is to find a used engine. Then you might consider over time building up your current engine if it can be salvaged.

sorry to hear that........ i guess we know that no one has an sts turbo working on these trucks on stock internals now.........:(

whatever you do, don't put that sts back on......:burnout:

Last edited:
EMT/SRT said:
Yeah, flchub is coming down on his eveyday! buy it!
i sold mine on ebay but the guy hasnt paid,he has til sunday ,also have another member who wants to buy it,but if they dont come through u can have mine for 5k complete

Damn Scott! :mad:

I was really hoping you pulled this out, and was definitely looking forward to seeing you and your truck run...

Crap. :(

Scott, I am going to Panama City Friday and Saturday. If you want to ride over with me let me know! There are a lot of people that really want to meet you and want you there with or without the truck. I do understand if you can't make it, but we would really like you there!

Call Me!! 712-7468

Sorry to hear the bad news Low, pull that POS out :mad:

If you are going to rebuild the engine you might as well do it with forged internals. I made the mistake of rebuilding the motor using new replacement pistons, rings, rods, bearings etc. from the dealer and it still cost me about 8K. It included replacing burnt valves in the heads but for a couple grand more I could have used forged pistons instead.:dontknow:

After I got the truck back I saw an engine for sale on E-Bay for 7K that had been pulled out of a crashed truck.

bad news indeed...:( As John wrote,... get a used engine and take your time to see what you can/will do with yours...:dontknow:

Very sorry to hear about this bro.... I sincerely hope things work out for you. The STS has always been an issue it seems. Whatever you do, stay away from it. You will always be wondering when something will happen again if you do. That's no way to feel about these trucks. They are finicky enough to begin with.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back