WARNING All VIPER Engines with an Accumsump are in imminent danger of failure

CarDude

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On April the 1, 2007 my wife and I were driving the SRT Truck, when out of no where the engine all of a sudden started making a knocking sound. I looked at the temp gauge and the oil temp gauge and everything looked fine. I started to pull over and the engine light came on right before we came to a stop. We noticed oil all over the front end of the vehicle, so we called Dodge Roadside to have the vehicle towed to the dealer.

Upon inspection the Viper tech informed me that a solenoid on the Accumsump failed (EPC). I called Canton Racing Products and they said I need to send them the parts...I did and this is their response after six weeks of my truck sitting at the dealer.

I really need everyones help here...I have called numerous times. Please, please let everyone know how they handle their customers, even when they are at fault.

Dear Lawrence,

We are sorry that you are having a problem. After talking with the owner of our company today, we came up with the following conclusion.

1. Please see our below "Limited Warranty" which is inside our catalog, on our website and is on the backs of our invoice and packing lists. That this "Limited Warranty" only covers the product that is in question.

2. The SRT-10 has a normal oil pressure range of around 70 lbs and that the engine has a oil pressure bypass for oil pressures above 80 lbs. That the SRT-10 has an oil pressure warning light that comes on if the oil pressure goes below 15 lbs for 5 seconds or more. Once the oil pressure is back above 15 lbs for 5 seconds or more the light goes off. That the operator of any vehicle is the one who is ultimately responsible for the welfare of it, did the warning light not come on?

3. That since you want to be compensated for more than just the E.P.C.
valve itself then you should contact our vendor directly;

Farmington Engineering Inc.
7 Orchard Park Road
Madison, CT 06443
ATTN: Tom Ryan (Sales Manager)
203-245-1100 Ext 22
203-245-3072 (Fax)

That they are the company that sold our company the valves under the pretense that they are the right valves for the application.

LIMITED WARRANTY
This limited warranty applies to any product which, after careful inspection by Canton Racing Products, Inc., is found to have a defect in either material or workmanship.

Canton Racing Products, Inc. warrants that when our products are properly installed in their correct application they will be free from defect.

Any product returned for warranty must be returned to Canton Racing Products, Inc. within 90 days of purchase. All returns must include the original sales slip or proof of purchase, detailed information regarding the problem, your name, address and phone number.

If returned product is found by Canton Racing Products, Inc. to be defective in either material or workmanship, Canton Racing Products, Inc. will either repair or replace the product at its discretion and its sole cost.

This limited warranty DOES NOT cover or apply to any personal injury, labor charges or apply to products that have been:

* Damaged in transit, subject to abuse, neglect, accident or improper installation.
* Altered or modified outside of Canton Racing Products, Inc.
specifications.
* Used in other than those applications recommended by Canton Racing Products.

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS THE ONLY EXPRESS WARRANTY WHICH APPLIES TO CANTON RACING PRODUCTS, INC. AND IS EXPRESSLY GIVEN IN LIEU OF ANY OTHER WARRANTY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. OTHER WARRANTIES INCLUDING THAT OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE IS HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED.

This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state.

EXCEPT FOR THOSE OBLIGATIONS ASSUMED HEREIN, CANTON RACING PRODUCTS, INC. ASSUMES NO OTHER OBLIGATIONS IN CONNECTION WITH THE SALE OF ITS PRODUCTS.

Canton Racing Products, Inc. reserves the right to change specifications at any time. The changes will be made without obligation to change any products previously manufactured. Canton Racing Products, Inc. reserves the right to change prices at any time.

Sincerely,
Thor Schroeder

To address (2) in his answer, the Viper engine requires 10 psi per 1K of RPMs, so anything near the "15 lbs for 5 seconds " is far too late to save the engine. You tell me if any reasonable person monitors their oil pressure gauge constantly. The valve was pouring oil out even when the engine was not running.

I'd say that (despite the terms of their limited warranty) that their oil pump probably caused the damage to your truck.

However, without utilizing the services of an attorney and a respected forensic engineer, it may be difficult to prove that their product was the principle cause for the failure and resulting damages.

You would almost assuredly have to go to court to prove this.....

It's hard to say whether or not the mere threating letter from your attorney's would scare them sufficiently to pay up..... But it'd be the least expensive initial step.

Hard to say whether or not you would prevail in court......

Good Luck, Lawrence...

Django

Silent D said:
I'd say that (despite the terms of their limited warranty) that their oil pump probably caused the damage to your truck.

However, without utilizing the services of an attorney and a respected forensic engineer, it may be difficult to prove that their product was the principle cause for the failure and resulting damages.

You would almost assuredly have to go to court to prove this.....

It's hard to say whether or not the mere threating letter from your attorney's would scare them sufficiently to pay up..... But it'd be the least expensive initial step.

Hard to say whether or not you would prevail in court......

Good Luck, Lawrence...

Django

I have several emails from them stating they know the EPC failed, they just don't know why. Furthermore I have video of the oil pouring out of the valve for no reason.

wow...not good :(

What are you going to do? Hire an attorney and fight it, or bite the bullet?

Thanks for the heads-up and the 'learning experience' for all, unfortunately it was a loss on your part :(

-Red

CarDude said:
I have several emails from them stating they know the EPC failed, they just don't know why. Furthermore I have video of the oil pouring out of the valve for no reason.

All to be presented in court............

Last time I checked, a new V-10 was around 10 grand to rebuild.. Their risk management and legal depts will weigh everything and probably decide to play hardball......

Maybe not..... But rarely do companies just lay down anymore....

Best of Luck, bro...

D

Here is another email I received from them at an earlier date....

Dear Lawrence,

The reason for the e-mail is that we still haven't heard anything yet from our vendor. If I were in the situation that you are in, I would get the truck fixed and then bill the parties afterwards.

Canton Racing Products

232 Branford Rd.

North Branford, CT

p.) 203-481-9460

f.) 203-481-9641

WWW.CANTONRACINGPRODUCTS.COM

CarDude said:
Here is another email I received from them at an earlier date....

The reason for the e-mail is that we still haven't heard anything yet from our vendor. If I were in the situation that you are in, I would get the truck fixed and then bill the parties afterwards.

He may be right....... But I'd see a great lawyer first......

D

That is total bullshit. No one stands behind anything anymore, they assume people won't go to the trouble/expense of fighting them...a sad state of affairs indeed.

i've seen it a couple of times... looks liek this big tube full of somethin' tryin
my best to be spesfic.. ;) sure someone could fill out the details :) :D :rock:

Sharpi

To reference information that suggests these V10 engines could survive 15 lbs of oil pressure or less for 5 seconds or more without causing serious damage is crazy to begin with. I do hope enough people hear of this to bring down their accusump business, or even put a major dent in it.

Can someone host a video? I have a video of it pouring oil before we even started the engine.

Accusump™ the original
automotive oil accumulator
preoils and provides an extra margin of
protection against engine damage
caused by loss of oil pressure.

Right from there site.

I purchased the Accusump from Boomer, after he suggested it to keep my motor oiled especially during start-up when your motor is dry (all the oil collects at the bottom of the oil pan, then you turn over a dry engine...ouch). Who knew that it would cause a dry engine condition.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back