WARNING All VIPER Engines with an Accumsump are in imminent danger of failure

QClikeKW said:
These motors will kill themselves in 3 to 5 seconds of no oil pressure.
Really engineers say this or it sounds good?
Got to sell this P.O.S. and get a normal engine then.

Sorry for the mess guy.
Am i misreading the warranty or did you have it less than 90 days?

Drain all your oil out, turn it on, and go 0-60 (about 5 seconds) ....let me know the results ;)

These motors are fairly sensitive when it comes to oiling issues and oil starvation, let alone running it empty...

Read this one last time and see if you get it. Read into whatever you want, but the facts remain. Yes we were driving in a canyon. We were exceeding the speed limit; certain not 150 miles per hour, like they did to get the fastest truck record. We never went over 65 as it is a small canyon close to my new work location. We were not doing anything crazy, we were enjoying the truck. It is a Street and Race Technology vehicle, and if you are telling me that you of all people obey the posted speed limit in all of you vehicles are a liar. And if somehow exceeding the speed limit negates my warranty you are dead wrong. Furthermore the Accusump may have come from Canton Racing Products, but it is not a racing part. That is like saying a better oil filter is a racing part. It added no horsepower and has no performance characteristics what so ever. Anything that adds horsepower, like the STS (which remember, I was one of), is trying to cheat the system and add more horsepower than stock. If one of those had caused my engine, then I would fully take the blame. But I bought the Accusump for exactly what they are selling it for, a preoiler. I wanted, and really still do, a product that would emulate a dry sump system and not let my $12K engine start dry. I made a huge mistake in trusting a company with a good reputation. I got burned. If you think Canton is so great...read your post...I will sell you my Accusump. But since you spoke so highly of them you must already have one on all your vehicles....right. Mine is for sale for only 12K. You of all people shouldn't lecture anyone on modification, as your vehicle is so far out of warranty it is ridiculous. My vehicle has an Accusump, full exhaust, and boomers computer. I am not pushing the envelope here. I removed my STS along time ago because I did not want to worry about engine failure (it was only on the truck 1K or so).

BTW as i said before. The engine had already went boom, when we continued to drive it a miles or so....that means the engine had already failed, which means the engine had already failed...I hope you read it this time. I have never changed my story; if I were to blame I would have never posted the first story. I have nothing, absolutely nothing to hide here.

Last edited:
CarDude said:
...My vehicle has an Accusump, full exhaust, and boomers computer. I removed my STS along time ago because I did not want to worry about engine failure (it was only on the truck 1K or so). I have nothing, absolutely nothing to hide here.

The quoted portion of the statement above is sufficient to void any warranty from any part or vehicle manufacturer. If the Accusump failed I have a feeling that the limit of their warranty is for replacement of the Accusump, nothing else.

I feel really bad for you, and would not want to be in your situation.

But once we start to modify a vehicle I have consistently said, that we do, and should, assume responsibility. I have real problems with those who install a flashed pcm and then change it to take the vehicle to the dealer. You have not done that, but the moment you flashed your pcm, the moment you installed the STS, the moment you installed the Accusump...you have endangered your warranty, and unless you are willing to push the issue to the extreme, (read big legal fees) you probably should just pay for repairs and move on.

Just my opinion, and a little rant in the process...I really hope you find a solution that allows you to feel vindicated, but sometimes shit just happens, and if we keep beating our heads against the proverbial wall, all we get is a head ache.

Roy

CarDude said:
Read this one last time and see if you get it. Read into whatever you want, but the facts remain. Yes we were driving in a canyon. We were exceeding the speed limit; certain not 150 miles per hour, like they did to get the fastest truck record. We never went over 65 as it is a small canyon close to my new work location. We were not doing anything crazy, we were enjoying the truck. It is a Street and Race Technology vehicle, and if you are telling me that you of all people obey the posted speed limit in all of you vehicles are a liar. And if somehow exceeding the speed limit negates my warranty you are dead wrong. Furthermore the Accusump may have come from Canton Racing Products, but it is not a racing part. That is like saying a better oil filter is a racing part. It added no horsepower and has no performance characteristics what so ever. Anything that adds horsepower, like the STS (which remember, I was one of), is trying to cheat the system and add more horsepower than stock. If one of those had caused my engine, then I would fully take the blame. But I bought the Accusump for exactly what they are selling it for, a preoiler. I wanted, and really still do, a product that would emulate a dry sump system and not let my $12K engine start dry. I made a huge mistake in trusting a company with a good reputation. I got burned. If you think Canton is so great...read your post...I will sell you my Accusump. But since you spoke so highly of them you must already have one on all your vehicles....right. Mine is for sale for only 12K. You of all people shouldn't lecture anyone on modification, as your vehicle is so far out of warranty it is ridiculous. My vehicle has an Accusump, full exhaust, and boomers computer. I am not pushing the envelope here. I removed my STS along time ago because I did not want to worry about engine failure (it was only on the truck 1K or so).

BTW as i said before. The engine had already went boom, when we continued to drive it a miles or so....that means the engine had already failed, which means the engine had already failed...I hope you read it this time. I have never changed my story; if I were to blame I would have never posted the first story. I have nothing, absolutely nothing to hide here.

I feel bad that you are in this position. It is not a good one. My comments were strickly down the middle. I did not take your side and I did not take the otherside. My comments were based on warranty work and how warranty's are written.

I realize the idiot light statement might have been a bit over the top, but it was something my grandfather had said to me many many moons ago a and I have never forgotten it.

I'm also am hoping that those that read your posts will take a better and closer look at the warranty that comes with any product. They are what they are....Limited

Jeff

PaddyOBrian said:
Just to lighten the mood. It's getting kinda tense in here. I guess it had the reverse affect on you, though.

I took it wrong to.

But I'm a bit torn by CarDude's perdickiment. I hate to see anyone have issues with the vehicle. It pisses me off.

I only chimed in because CarDude has brought to light what we all should know.....

Read the damn Warranty.

My response to Canton Racing Products re: Lawrence

Gentlemen,
I have been following this thread in the Viper Truck Club of American group for some time now. He has related several posting with quotes where a product was installed that was issued by you, failed, and result was his engine destroyed itself. These large posts concerned me where he had installed this correctly, and it being a new part failed and whereupon after admitting that your part was at fault Canton responds by saying this is a limited warranty. Lawrence Willis has videos posted of your part leaking a large amount of oil even with the engine off. He has completed everything Canton has asked him to do and after the part was found to have either defective or inferior parts that would have to fail given the amount of pressure put on the seals by design Canton Racing products will not be honorable and make arrangements to satisfy Lawrence Willis.
The response on the Forum is that he should seek legal action (possibly a class action suit) that the product you are marketing is inferior and that with prior knowledge you issued it with many reports of failures. Others are wanting to blackball your company and this product and with others informing him to contact the Better Business Bureau, State Attorney General and other authorities.
I see that this is going to harm your business regardless and in the community to which I belong that spends thousands of dollars on their "toys" the effect is going to be much larger than the amount of a satisfied customer.
My suggestion would be you stand behind your product, resolve the dispute with Lawrence Willis, and allow my Club (VTCoA) to speak of your company's name with praise as it did "the right thing" and "stood behind it's product".
Please help us to help you. Believe me when I say the resultant positive publicity will well be worth the money.

Sincerely

Perry K. Parsons, LLC

Prof said:
The quoted portion of the statement above is sufficient to void any warranty from any part or vehicle manufacturer. If the Accusump failed I have a feeling that the limit of their warranty is for replacement of the Accusump, nothing else.

I feel really bad for you, and would not want to be in your situation.

But once we start to modify a vehicle I have consistently said, that we do, and should, assume responsibility. I have real problems with those who install a flashed pcm and then change it to take the vehicle to the dealer. You have not done that, but the moment you flashed your pcm, the moment you installed the STS, the moment you installed the Accusump...you have endangered your warranty, and unless you are willing to push the issue to the extreme, (read big legal fees) you probably should just pay for repairs and move on.

Just my opinion, and a little rant in the process...I really hope you find a solution that allows you to feel vindicated, but sometimes shit just happens, and if we keep beating our heads against the proverbial wall, all we get is a head ache.

Roy

I agree with you to a degree. The law states that you are allowed to modify your vehicle, so long as that modifcation it not the cause of a failure. For instance. Did or have you purchased all of your parts from Chrysler to keep your vehicle factory? Liek are you windshield wipers "factory", do you have the dealer change your oil, did you change the brand of tires you are running. All of these changes are your right, and only until they cause failure do they endanger your warranty. That is the gest of the Magnuson Moss Act. I know this because I have seen the act posted on automotive forums for quite some time now. Many dealers were telling customers their entire warranty was voided because they did this that or the other, which the dealer has no authority to do.

Also I appreciate all the input, even if I do not agree with everyone's opinions. I think Accusump should stand behind their product period. Why should anyone purchase a product that is suppose to add years to their bearing life but instead fails and lets all their oil drain out? It just doesn't make any sense. And I think anyone who purchases their product with the pretense it is going to add years knows it could very well cost them the entire engine.

Speed Racer said:
Gentlemen,
I have been following this thread in the Viper Truck Club of American group for some time now. He has related several posting with quotes where a product was installed that was issued by you, failed, and result was his engine destroyed itself. These large posts concerned me where he had installed this correctly, and it being a new part failed and whereupon after admitting that your part was at fault Canton responds by saying this is a limited warranty. Lawrence Willis has videos posted of your part leaking a large amount of oil even with the engine off. He has completed everything Canton has asked him to do and after the part was found to have either defective or inferior parts that would have to fail given the amount of pressure put on the seals by design Canton Racing products will not be honorable and make arrangements to satisfy Lawrence Willis.
The response on the Forum is that he should seek legal action (possibly a class action suit) that the product you are marketing is inferior and that with prior knowledge you issued it with many reports of failures. Others are wanting to blackball your company and this product and with others informing him to contact the Better Business Bureau, State Attorney General and other authorities.
I see that this is going to harm your business regardless and in the community to which I belong that spends thousands of dollars on their "toys" the effect is going to be much larger than the amount of a satisfied customer.
My suggestion would be you stand behind your product, resolve the dispute with Lawrence Willis, and allow my Club (VTCoA) to speak of your company's name with praise as it did "the right thing" and "stood behind it's product".
Please help us to help you. Believe me when I say the resultant positive publicity will well be worth the money.

Sincerely

Perry K. Parsons, LLC

Thanks for your support.

Ok, here is my opinion.

If the part in question was engineered correctly, then I would agree with hey..."Stuff happens, Suck it up."

Now that is not the case here.

If the product failed because the valve was not designed to handle the pressure that our motors generate whether constant or spiked, then that is faulty engineering.

So this can go two ways:

Negligence. They didn't do their homework properly and went with what they thought was the correct choice. It wasn't. They are responsible.

Criminal. They new this valve wouldn't cut it, but it was cheaper to use it and it would hold under moderate pressure. This is Fraud. They are guilty.

Get a good lawyer...

My two bucks...:D

Last edited:
RedSrt007 said:
Drain all your oil out, turn it on, and go 0-60 (about 5 seconds) ....let me know the results ;)

These motors are fairly sensitive when it comes to oiling issues and oil starvation, let alone running it empty...

Does kinda sound like what he did, repeatedly.

But not sure one time would kill it given the oil film left in the engine but I understand what you are trying to say and would not try it personally but that is not what this guy did although I agree he had a very expensive part failure and it is easy to say watch your gauges etc that NONE of us ever do so bottom line a badly designed aftermarket part failed which cost him an engine and voided the factory warranty but he needs to fix it and move on since I believe the warranty(90days) was up on the part correct?
If they are not honoring their warranty bring out the Ambulance chasers!

Now I know someone makes a cheap shut down system for low oil pressure,high water temp etc like has been used on expensive machinery for the last 25 years that would have saved his motor like a million others over the years.Buy that in addition to the accusump and you have it covered both ways.

Years ago had to go to Mi to pick up older brothers truck cause he heard a funny nioise but it was only a mile or so to the exit ramp.
Threw a rod and air conditioned both sides of the block .
Cost him almost 15k for a new engine and 2 weeks downtime cause it was inconvient to pull over.
We have all done similar things.
Spun a bearing on a Pontiac one time knowing something was wrong with the engine but had to drive it home cause it was too far to walk etc.

Okay, time to jump in here.

CarDude started this thread to warn other owners of what happened to him. Regardless of who was at fault, warranty issues, etc..

He's concerned, and pissed that he lost a $10,000+ engine. Let's cut him a little slack.

Silverback said:

CarDude started this thread to warn other owners of what happened to him. Regardless of who was at fault, warranty issues, etc..

He's concerned, and pissed that he lost a $10,000+ engine. Let's cut him a little slack.

Thanks Silver, I do think people are missing a large part of this...it is a warning.

Also I have another theoy that will be tested at Arrow. The oil pressure could have spiked and caused the bypass to push more oil than it is designed to (also the spring that controls the bypass could have failed). That would have cause a failure in the Accusump as it would have easily exceeded the EPC valve's capacity. Dodge is having Arrow look into this. Suprisingly the engine still runs. There are no holes in the block. When the engine first went, I thought a valve stuck open, not a bearing failure, but my ears may have deceived me. We will see as the engine has been sent to Arrow. It will be good to get beyond this no matter what the outcome. I am just letting people see how a company (I am sure many other ones as well) faced with their product's failure, say gee, we are really sorry, tough break kid.

Just though others who are considering an Accusump might want to think twice, as if it were not on my truck, there would be far less doubt as to what failed.

Heed the warnings, and be wary of the product.

As for the opinions, take them all with a grain of salt. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and a lot of them stink.

Regardless of what I think (though I felt right at home reading Stinker's post), a well spoken lawyer familiar with these cases will be able to help you.

Add a shutdown cause the Accusump theory is great for any engine.
Just put both.
Could as easily been an oil filter gasket blown cause the dork at the dealer didn't get it tight enough or too tight.
Shutdown works for that too.

fly n low

It's been a couple years now, but it was the hi perf oil filter for our trucks. Made a horrible noise that increased with rpms. Tried different gaskets(flapper I think they called it?), etc. Nothing worked, so I finally pulled it and went with mopar performance filter(s). If I remember correctly, others had problems with it as well.

Silverback said:

Agreed....my wise monkey...:)

MacksSrt said:
fly n low

It's been a couple years now, but it was the hi perf oil filter for our trucks. Made a horrible noise that increased with rpms. Tried different gaskets(flapper I think they called it?), etc. Nothing worked, so I finally pulled it and went with mopar performance filter(s). If I remember correctly, others had problems with it as well.

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back