4.88 gear report

moparracing said:
well ?? GriffsSrt and maybe FATJACK ? :dontknow:

weren't you also headed to the track Ironhead ?

we're all wanting to know if it helps or not in the 1/4 mile times & if you had to go to 5th gear ?

I didnt know Jack had the 4.88...Come to think of it he said he had to shift into 5th at Macon...hmmm

FATJACK said:
I still have the 4.56's but my next mod may be 4.88's

Better stick to the 1/8th mile for having fun...cause in the 1/4 you will need to shift to 5th with the kind of power you have.:rock:

Trainman said:
Better stick to the 1/8th mile for having fun...cause in the 1/4 you will need to shift to 5th with the kind of power you have.:rock:
I actually had to shift to 5th in the 1/4 @ Macon Ga. With the d/r's I was crossing the line against the rev limiter in 4th.

FATJACK said:
I actually had to shift to 5th in the 1/4 @ Macon Ga. With the d/r's I was crossing the line against the rev limiter in 4th.

That is odd Jack...I am doing 116MPH when I cross the line and RPMs are under 6K...cant remember exactly..

you feather the edge of having to shift to fifth in 1/4 ,, i made it without shifting but as i crossed the line i hit the rev limiter ,plus i was on street tires time sucked ,,,but the jaws drop when i do my burn outs :D

TNVIPER said:
That is odd Jack...I am doing 116MPH when I cross the line and RPMs are under 6K...cant remember exactly..

Not sure what the answer is Larry, except I have a hi performance truck:D :D :D :D

Ironhead said:
you feather the edge of having to shift to fifth in 1/4 ,, i made it without shifting but as i crossed the line i hit the rev limiter ,plus i was on street tires time sucked ,,,but the jaws drop when i do my burn outs :D
that's what i was afraid of, 4.88's are 1/4 mile killers......... :(
would be worse for me, i run m&h drag radials @ the track....... well, now we know. :(

I really don't think 4:88's and anything significant in term of a power adder will yield better times in the quarter mile...the shift into fifth and the corresponding drop in rpm will compromise the e.t. significantly.

Prof said:
I really don't think 4:88's and anything significant in term of a power adder will yield better times in the quarter mile...the shift into fifth and the corresponding drop in rpm will compromise the e.t. significantly.

With your setup, I agree Roy. You have so much torque, 4.88 would put you into the 15's...

Wil

Prof said:
well, based on ironhead's results, the same is apparently true for NA guys too......... :(

Manic said:
With your setup, I agree Roy. You have so much torque, 4.88 would put you into the 15's...

Wil

I may go ahead and make the change...everyone would be safer if I was in the 15's rather than the 14's...I just hate to give up my reputation as the fastest, quickest and most powerful 14 second truck in all of incorporated Wadsworth, IL...

moparracing said:
that's what i was afraid of, 4.88's are 1/4 mile killers......... :(
would be worse for me, i run m&h drag radials @ the track....... well, now we know. :(

after the run on street tires i slaped on the DR,S and did much better ,,,not worst ,,,but there will always be 488 gear nay sayers on here ,,

when on the hwy going to macon and comparing it to antnees ,,at 85 miles an hour i was turning just shy on 200 rpms more than him ,,,,but he still has the 410s ,,

Ironhead, were you able to make the correction for the speedo?

Best bang for the buck if your running red light to red light street racing ,,,,:D yes i have my helmet on cause here comes the complaining about street racing ,,,but the fact is is how many peeps here take their truck to a track so they can brag about time ,,ok me when i can ,,,but i think most just like to drive thiers and mash on it when needed :D call it a passing gear :burnout:

alexspop said:
Ironhead, were you able to make the correction for the speedo?

no correction needed bud ,,,only correction was done to the anti lock brake module that i had the dealer here do for me for 90 bucks took 45 mins i was in and out,,,some have just installed gear and was fine ,,,with no adjustment

Last edited:
Ironhead said:
after the run on street tires i slaped on the DR,S and did much better ,,,not worst ,,,but there will always be 488 gear nay sayers on here ,,

when on the hwy going to macon and comparing it to antnees ,,at 85 miles an hour i was turning just shy on 200 rpms more than him ,,,,but he still has the 410s ,,
since you aren't posting before & after numbers on your 4.88 gear change runs on the 1/4 mile, it's hard to make a fair judement call based on what you're now saying above.....:dontknow:

i'm interested in the time benefits of the 4.88's on the 1/4 mile, are there any ?
if they prove to help, i'm all in. :)

damn i need to dig for slips now ,,,,prob is i never got one in a 1/4 before i did swap of gears and caltracks

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back