4.88 gear report

i think its better ,and nothing is better than nailing it in third to pass a bunch of village idiots in traffic,,as long as you get the traction thing down on take off ,,i would bet ol griff has plenty of track slips to show ,,,i was thinking of looking for a set of 325 street tires if i can find some though

BUT THE DEBEAT WILL CONTINUE ,thats a good thang!

Last edited:
moparracing said:
since you aren't posting before & after numbers on your 4.88 gear change runs on the 1/4 mile, it's hard to make a fair judement call based on what you're now saying above.....:dontknow:

i'm interested in the time benefits of the 4.88's on the 1/4 mile, are there any ?
if they prove to help, i'm all in. :)
This is not my best time, but listen and you can tell when I hit fourth gear. Basically stock with 4.88's and flowmasters with JMB CAI. Best time was a 13.25, that is easing of the line. 88's are good in a stock truck, major mods may kill 1/4 times:dontknow:http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/04rcmoneypit/?action=view&current=MVI_0340.flv

04rcmoneypit said:
This is not my best time, but listen and you can tell when I hit fourth gear. Basically stock with 4.88's and flowmasters with JMB CAI. Best time was a 13.25, that is easing of the line. 88's are good in a stock truck, major mods may kill 1/4 times:dontknow:http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/04rcmoneypit/?action=view&current=MVI_0340.flv
hummmm, don't know if it would benefit me then, here's my stock truck with 4.56's:

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/moparracing_2008/pir 9-26-08/?action=view&current=run7.flv

:dontknow:

John02SS said:
Been kicking around doing a set of 88's in mine. Alot of my driving is 50-60 and seems to be a lil fast for 5th and a lil slow for 6th.

:dontknow: How in the hell do you manage to keep yours between 50 and 60? Driving it to the curb to check the mail?

Nevermind.. That was posted like two years ago. I dunno if I want to go crazy and slap 4.88's in mine since I love the gas milage I get. I still have 4.56's in my garage to try out.

Last edited:
Bump TTT.

I might go with the 88's. My 06RC is a little heavier than the 04 and 05 so this should make a considerable difference on the street. Can always go with a shorter height slick for the track with shaved calipers.

Bump TTT.

I might go with the 88's. My 06RC is a little heavier than the 04 and 05 so this should make a considerable difference on the street. Can always go with a shorter height slick for the track with shaved calipers.
I call BS on your '06 weighing more than the '04 and '05's. That is an internet myth that has often been disproved on the scale.

If you want me to dig up some information on this swap, I would be happy to do so :D

I call BS on your '06 weighing more than the '04 and '05's. That is an internet myth that has often been disproved on the scale.

If you want me to dig up some information on this swap, I would be happy to do so :D

How did you miss this 4.88 thread when you bumped nearly everyone known to man? :D

You learn something new everyday. Go ahead and report on your findings. Yes on the swap thing. Thanks bro!

You learn something new everyday. Go ahead and report on your findings. Yes on the swap thing. Thanks bro!

I was being factious. I bumped several old 4.88 threads the other day because someone was posting asking for information that has been discussed here 1000's of times before. It's not anything you, myself, and the rest of the regulars haven't been through previously. Here is the summary regarding 4.88's:

Install them if:
1. You have a QC
2. You have a lightly modded N/A truck and want more snap around town
3. You live a mile up and want to regain some of the lost power from poor air

Don't install them if:
1. You have a RC and want to run better times at the track
2. You want to retain factoryesque fuel economy numbers at Interstate speeds

I was being factious. I bumped several old 4.88 threads the other day because someone was posting asking for information that has been discussed here 1000's of times before. It's not anything you, myself, and the rest of the regulars haven't been through previously. Here is the summary regarding 4.88's:

Install them if:
1. You have a QC

Don't install them if:
1. You have a RC and want to run better times at the track
2. You want to retain factoryesque fuel economy numbers at Interstate speeds

I have an RC and want to go fast at the track on street tires, should I install 4.88s? :D

Install them if:
1. You have a QC

I meet all of these qualifications, I wonder how she would feel with 4:88's....hmmmm?

Theres a guy around town here that has a QC roe supercharged truck and is getting the 6 speed swap. I think he has the 5.13

Theres a guy around town here that has a QC roe supercharged truck and is getting the 6 speed swap. I think he has the 5.13

Does he have a tattoo on his neck? Might be a buddy if mine. I used to live in Shreveport, LA from 2006-2009.

Bump TTT.

Brad, I think you mean "taller height slicks" for the track, shorter would be a disaster, unless you are just running 1/8th mile.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back