4.88 install

So basically Marc T we can install the 4.88's with the stock carrier? This is awesoem news cuz I heard opposite, elaborate brother elaborate!:D

Stinker said:
So basically Marc T we can install the 4.88's with the stock carrier? This is awesoem news cuz I heard opposite, elaborate brother elaborate!:D
I was told that to use the stock carrier with 4.88's the carrier will have to be spaced over quite a bit to meet the pinion and thats why Unitrax supplies the new carrier in their kit. I have never worked with the 4.88's myself though.

Stingray said:
I was told that to use the stock carrier with 4.88's the carrier will have to be spaced over quite a bit to meet the pinion and thats why Unitrax supplies the new carrier in their kit. I have never worked with the 4.88's myself though.

Between the stock carrier or the new one, someday I will have 4.88's in my truck and will share my story!:rock: LOL

patrick

Stinker said:

I puchased everything just as you did. When the Viper Tech went to install it he coundn't get the pin in just like yours, so he used the original carrier, with a little shimming and wooo Hooo!! It rips!!:D

I have about 3000 miles on them and no noise or problem!!:burnout:

Monday Update

Called the dealer this morning and encouraged them to call Unitrax. Shop foreman seemed agreeable to this.

I called Unitrax a few hours later and spoke with Devin. He told me they did call and spoke with Carl (I think) and he gave some tips as to how to shim it in. Something about a 1000th shim here, a dohickey there, and a thingacumbob over there and it should work!

Dealer called me at 3pm saying it was done and thank you for your patience.

Too busy with work to drive over and pick it up, so I will get it on Tuesday.

I will post how they feel Tuesday night.

patrick

Marc, sounds like you are enjoying the new gears. I have had mine sitting in a box on the shelf forever. Too nice to want to lay up the truck but after reading this I think I may have to make the time. Thanks, :burnout:

OK lets see how long before he needs new rear tires because he is having too much fun with the truck.

Bill.

Final Update

I got my gears muthafockers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah baby!!!! No whine, no whistle, no howling, just a nice tone from the magnaflow!!:rock:

When I first let the clutch out coming out of the dealers garage I could tell the difference right away.......no need to ride the brake like I normaly had to in tight places. Driving home I kept the rpms low like the break in procedure said to, but you could feel the difference even then. Truck feels lighter and smoother. Almost felt like I had my tires balenced or something. Everything felt better. I literally had only put my truck into six gear like twice before this, but I kept it in 5th and 6th most of the way home. At 60 mph in 6th gear I am running 1400 rpms. Cool huh!!! I wasnt even sure I could downshift from 6th to 5th.....:dontknow: ......but I actually did......... without Boomer's shifter too!!!:p

I put about 30 miles on her and so far so good. No hard starts yet. I have to take it easy for 300 miles.............thens its rubber burning time!!! I cant hardly wait! You definatly shift more with this setup but it just feels better this way. Somebody else put it this way....."truck feels like it should have come from the factory this way". I would have to agree!

BTW....dealer did not charge me anymore than the original quote (very cool). I did have to pay for the carrier bearings that were not included with the kit. Devin with Unitrax said he was thinking about having the bearings available as an option with the gear kit for those that are interested.

patrick

Glad you got her together Patrick.Bet you can`t wait until the 270 more miles are up ...He he.Good luck with it.:burnout:

Congratulations Patrick!!!

Glad its back together and I am sure you will have it broken in by the weekend :D

That's sweet Patrick, congrats! Now hurry up and get thru the breakin so you can get yourself over to the track and see how the beast does!!

Maybe you should peorder some news tires for the beast. :burnout: :D

Will

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back