THE 4.2 LEVER IS AN EXCELLENT START.
V/B
SERVO UPGRADE
4.2 LEVER
FRT CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT
STRUT
BAND

DUSTY HAWK

This is most of it,there's a few other parts too.

I have pretty much ordered the same stuff, minus upgraded clutches. I am going to stick with the stock ones because I am not going to supercharge it.

What kind of prices for the items?

Shift kit - $75 (install about $400)
Servos - $125
V/B?
Lever?
Clutch adjustment?
Strut?
Band?

FlyingLow said:
What kind of prices for the items?

Shift kit - $75 (install about $400)
Servos - $125
V/B?
Lever?
Clutch adjustment?
Strut?
Band?

About $600 total for the parts listed. Install in my case is free because the dealer is doing it as warranty work and using the parts I supply them.

You don't need a shift kit with the valve body. he builds to suit your needs/wants.

Lever is billet and 35 ish
servo blocker is 15 ish.

Thats all I had done.
stock everything else, couldn't afford the valve body :(

Slvsnake.............. So you took my advice from my experiance with the dealer?

No props???????????????? :) Holla at yo boy dawg!

I spoke with Dusty today very nice guy and knowledgeable. It is a shade under $700 for everything + or - the core charge. Since mine is still in warranty I will being buying the stuff when It runs out.

bigike said:
Slvsnake.............. So you took my advice from my experiance with the dealer?

No props???????????????? :) Holla at yo boy dawg!

Yep, pretty much. Props are in order. Wheww!!! Sensitive:)
I remembered your posts from before. Figured I would see how a new trans was. Since I saw problems cropping up I decided to try this option.

Flying Low I forgot to mention the core charge so that is a couple hundred back I believe.

rottenronnie said:
Easy there Joe....you are making the hard-working Canadian tranny guys look bad...;)
Ricky's Racing transmissions in Calgary has mine working well (but it took a few tries)... :)

LMAO! Ron,see "took a few tries":p ,I'm in Edmonton its a different country up here:D ,I've talked to a bunch of tranny guys up here Ron and you would just shake your head and then the price on the tranny build ounce the find out its a viper truck! Wheew,thats why I'm buying the parts and just getting Pro-tech to intstall them.....maybe :confused:

Yellow venom said:
LMAO! Ron,see "took a few tries":p ,I'm in Edmonton its a different country up here:D ,I've talked to a bunch of tranny guys up here Ron and you would just shake your head and then the price on the tranny build ounce the find out its a viper truck! Wheew,thats why I'm buying the parts and just getting Pro-tech to intstall them.....maybe :confused:

Joe,
The BIG one seems to be the shift kit and related valve body mods. They don't seem to apply enough holding pressure otherwise.
As per Joe (at Westminster Trans. advice) I did NOT go with the larger capacity drum as he said it takes longer to fill with fluid and creates shift timing problems that weren't there before. Instead I went with thinner h.p. clutches and was able to fit (2) more into the factory sized drum.
We also threw in some billet shafts, a rigid band from a 440 727 and some other stuff and, so far, so good...
I've got too much $$ into mine but it was a trial and error deal as, like you say, nobody seems to know what to do with these trannies around here and I am now making just enough torque that the stock one WILL fail in a short time. I thought I would "stay local" and learn what works and what doesn't, first hand...
I'm on my fourth one and I think/hope we have the right combo now... :D
I had one that lasted less than 55 miles (I wouldn't recommend that particular build) ;) But it was "entertaining" while it lasted.

Rotten

Last edited:
Is this what I have to look forward to?

My truck currently searches for gears when accel. normally. If I get on it, it smooth. I was under the impression I just needed a new solenoid:dontknow:

5_0_BAIT said:

My truck currently searches for gears when accel. normally. If I get on it, it smooth. I was under the impression I just needed a new solenoid:dontknow:

Check the kickdown adjustment under the hood first.
No, it isn't all doom and gloom; but generally the more power your engine makes, the less your 48RE will like it...

Last edited:
When I was at Macon, one of the guys there checked and it ain't the cable under the hood. It is snapped in correctly.
I am just curious because I don't want to replace the part if it ain't the problem!

5_0_BAIT said:
When I was at Macon, one of the guys there checked and it ain't the cable under the hood. It is snapped in correctly.
I am just curious because I don't want to replace the part if it ain't the problem!

Snapped in correctly is one thing, but is the cable tight enough??
If it IS adjusted o.k. then, well, it isn't the kickdown adjustment...

The solenoids won't tolerate even a little band material.
Pull the pan and change them out, they aren't that expensive and you can check the pan for material and have a peek inside the tranny as well.

Last edited:
Alright dumb question: What is tight enough? Just thought I would check. I will say it did not start to do this till about a month after I got the tranny adjusted and fluids changed:(

5_0_BAIT said:
Alright dumb question: What is tight enough? Just thought I would check. I will say it did not start to do this till about a month after I got the tranny adjusted and fluids changed:(

Mine is setup with zero slack and works fine.

SlvrSnake said:
Yep, pretty much. Props are in order. Wheww!!! Sensitive:)
I remembered your posts from before. Figured I would see how a new trans was. Since I saw problems cropping up I decided to try this option.

Flying Low I forgot to mention the core charge so that is a couple hundred back I believe.

O no not sensitive just trolling for some props...............:)

I hope you get the same results I did. I didn't want you not to be able the run your truck to full throttle...... LOL It's no fun ;)

I reckon I come across alittle brash, when I find something that works I'm happy and I sing praises. When I find something that is junk and blow 30,000 I try to help others avoid those same issues. Maybe those things would never happen to them, maybe they would never ever push the truck. But maybe they will and maybe I help them a little. I like to help and I feel all are my friends. :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

I know one guy that don't care for me but you can't please everyone. Sorry Tony.

5_0_BAIT said:

PART TWO-

I think anyone that is trying to make these things work is doing just that- trying to make them work (and last). Failures are starting to come up now as the guys with the '05s (me) and '06s (esp. those that have working power mods) are starting to reach the limits of the factory trannies and see failures. If the engines do make more power than stock, a stock replacement won't live for very long.

The diesel guys are making more torque but they aren't worrying about shift-timing issues at 6100 r.p.m. either. It is the calibration of these things that seem a bit tricky. They seem strong enough for the most part and can handle a reasonable amount of power but they do need a bit of help.

So we are pioneering a good working rebuild strategy at this point...

Rotten

bigike said:

I hope you get the same results I did. I didn't want you not to be able the run your truck to full throttle...... LOL It's no fun ;)

I reckon I come across alittle brash, when I find something that works I'm happy and I sing praises. When I find something that is junk and blow 30,000 I try to help others avoid those same issues. Maybe those things would never happen to them, maybe they would never ever push the truck. But maybe they will and maybe I help them a little. I like to help and I feel all are my friends. :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

I know one guy that don't care for me but you can't please everyone. Sorry Tony.
tranny is still under warranty and when they get it worked out yours will be replaced. a little patience and youll get what you want. anything that isnt stock is going to have to be worked on and serviced. from what all youve taken off the truck you shouldnt have a problem with that:D

5_0_BAIT said:

Your bands might not be adjusted correctly or you are low or have to much fluid in the trans. Kind of weird for your problems to start after you got it serviced. Just my 2 cents.

bigike said:

I never run it full throttle. Drive it like a blue hair on Sunday going to Bingo with my left turn signal on in the fast lane.:marchmellow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back