6 speed conversion advice and tips

Listen I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just stating my opinion and giving my tips is all.

No one should be offended by this. A man that takes that much pride in his work deserves praise. Great job sir!

Listen I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just stating my opinion and giving my tips is all.

I know i'm not offended that's for sure!

A difference of opinion is healthy!!!!

If my engine was out of the truck and i wasn't doing the swap at night with a damn shop light, i would have probably drilled and tapped the bolt hole. At the time when i did my swap, the swap was very new so there was a bit of uncertainty.

I 100% appreciate your input :)

I would love to do this so im watching very closely. the issues I may have are the fact that the pedals are on the other side of the truck.
has anyone done this on a rhd truck ???

I would love to do this so im watching very closely. the issues I may have are the fact that the pedals are on the other side of the truck.

Carlwalski did the opposite (converted an RC to an auto) but it was in an rhd truck. May want to pick his brain and see if any of the information will translate to your swap.

What Pete said. Pedals first. I actually just took the column out of the truck. You gotta drop it anyhow just pull it out and you gain TONS of room. Also pull the driver seat out. It's a lot easier to work in there without the seat.

I didn't drill my hole. It kills me inside but I would have had to remove the header on pass side to do it. So it's skipped for another day. I have been rough on it and no issues but if you don't have the same exhaust issue I had it's easy to reach and drill. Mine also had the pilot bearing,

I cut my carpet based on the rubber insulator that screws down. DONT DO THAT. My hole came out just a shade outside of the console. I fixed it with glue but I still know it's there. Stick console in before you cut the carpet. Make a chalk line so you don't have a gaping hole.

I marked my shifter hole from the bottom and started cutting. There is a set of wires that runs along side that plastic insert in the floor under carpet. I nearly cut into them. Got lucky. So look for those too.

If you are using the console without deleting the fold down cup holder you will have to trim the console to make it fit.

I put the carpet I cut out back in with just enough hole to clear the shifter. Extra insulation. Nice and quiet.

You can pull the Trans cooler without breaking the lines down a second time. It's a puzzle but it will wiggle out.

Cut the center bearing X-member to clear shaft,

possibly will need pinion shims I know I do.

Install, enjoy, buy some gloves to keep the blisters off those hands cause you can't stop rowing hears just sitting in the drive way.

Same job same basket. Your clutch is still under the left foot. You will have to remove the right hand seat to gain room where we take out the left one!
LMAO

I'm just going to pay Dan in booze and Taiwaneese lady boys when I'm ready for my conversion

Overall the swap truly makes the truck incredible.

There is just something awesome about a big, high powered, 6 speed truck!

Drifting and tail slides are effortless and so controllable.

Get Tony's shifter. The stock Hurst shifter is garbage. I mean seriously... get Tony's shifter, it is a thing of pure beauty.

i already swapped to Tonys shifter and agree that short throw is great but think that hand/arm position is also critical. as well as position of the center seat console if you went that way

my shifting improved greatly after paying attention to hand position and following this article and ive been driving a stick for over 30 years and thought i was "good enough" at it until i got this truck

Nine Ball Garage | Precision Shifting a Manual

i havent gotten brave enough to try power shifting yet. ive read articles from back in the day where they filed down every other tooth on the gears to make the shift easier/faster but i dont expect that to be a good thing on such a heavy vehicle used on the street

I have no experience with doing this, but a lot of interest. As with taking on any new tasks throughly checking EVERYTHING eliminates half of the problems before they have a chance to start. Good luck

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back