A new boat?

there's a difference...

in an adventure...

and stupidity...

USUALLY...i can't tell the difference...

but being out there in the open water...on that little ass 50'er...REALLY put it into perspective...

i say i wouldn't go out in anything less...but that's not entirely true...it just wouldn't be my first choice...

I knew someone that took a 17ft Whaler to the Bahamas from West Palm. Don't think I would have quite done that, but if the weather is nice, seas calm, and have the proper equipment and saftey stuff... why not. :dontknow:
I've been out on my 21ft flats boat farther than what I could see land.

I would rather be on a 20ft boat with the right equipment, than a 40ft boat with the wrong/ no equipment.

Id love to have about a 40 to 45 foot trawler for a livaboard. been saying for years when the kids go off to college im selling the house and getting a yacht for live on. no grass to cut and you can always pick up if you dont like your neighbors. just make sure the engines, generators,ac's are in good shape you should be able to tell if the boat has been maintained.

Definitely start with diesels. Refitting different types of engines and getting all of the systems, controls, and running gear right is no small matter. Much better to buy it that way. Updating older diesels is a lot less work.

For mileage a slow displacement hull (trawler or old Hatt motor yacht) is the way to go with non-turbo, low rpm lugger diesels. Not to mention they will last forever. Now I would not go transatlantic in a boat that slow for a lot of reasons, but perfect for what you described as NY to the keys. GET A WATER MAKER! Trust me you will want one. If you go to the Bahamas you have to pay for water by the gallon, and it's not a lot less than fuel.

IMO stay around 50' for comfortable live aboard. If/when you want to do transatlantic I would buy a Nordhaven. By far the best set up recreational yacht for that passage while still being a reasonable size. I think their 57' has gone around the world.

From a reality point of view, maintenance costs of any boat like what we are discussing are exponentially larger than any trailerable boat. You'll need a full haul out every year or two depending on use, a diver several other times during the year. Clip a log etc and have a diver replace the multi-thousand dollar prop. All of the systems of a good size house plus engines, batteries etc. Regular maintenance of engines to avoid problems adds up. Don't forget dockage.

It's a great dream and something I would love to do at some point in my life. I'd also like to do the "Great Loop" up the intracoastal and back down through the great lakes and mississippi river. You would have an experience that very few people will ever have a chance to, but it will not be cheap.

GET A SURVEY BY A MARINE SURVEYOR BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING!!!! Also go to boatdiesel.com for more advice than you could ever want about marine diesel engines. A little research on there can save you tens of thousands.

i was planning on getting my divers license next winter.
i knew it would be a good thing to have after running over rope and a log in the new york harbor. i got tangled bad.
P5230181.jpg

i have lernt some things. i will be doiing any haul outs in mexico, i have read thats the best place pricewise.

40 footer are you kidding???/ that will get you sunk real quick... an 80footer would be a small as you would want to go.. and for stable on the ocean to the artic your talking 140 footer,,

scoobert said:
so for the first boat i think 40' would be a good choice.

there are two ways i can go on this.

1. buy a used diesel boat
2. buy a gas boat and convert it.

the diesel 40' boats i am looking at are about 150k range.
the gas boats are in the 20-50K range.
i would place two 5.9 cummins in them, and most of the time i would be putting along at 3-5KTs.
i dont think i would ever need any sort of speed.
i know i want an enclosed helm, and perhaps a flying bridge.
has to be aft cabin or better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Silverton-40-Aft-Cabin-Motoryacht-No-Reserve-/130452195704?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item1e5f8e8978
like that.

but here is a diesel thats not bad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIVEABOARD-YACHT-3-STATEROOM-LOADED-A-C-2-HEADS-BATHTUB-/120645245298?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item1c17045972

Two best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. !?

now ya out of there.

very high maintance boats

Well as long as we're dreaming. This is my dream boat, and dream life... motoring around the world fishing and diving. http://www.nordhavn.com/75/

Crazy thing is it gets better fuel mileage than the 38'er I fish now.

Attachments

• Nordhavn 75.jpg
    Nordhavn 75.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 20
scoobert said:

After the war the Delphine was reacquired by the Dodge family and following many years of idleness eventually went to rack and ruin, seemingly destined for the scrapyard. However, a Belgian clothing tycoon rescued the ship before it was dismantled, ..............

coincidence.... hahha, i was onboard that ship for a price quote :retubing the condensors... ship rebuild was done in Bruges , only a few miles from me.They had installed new steam boilers at that moment and laying the teak deck. As we have all necessary equipment and knowlegde we offered to do the job on working hours rate because the difficulty reaching the condensors and the age of them.... shells with rivets etc... didn't want to give a fixed price. We didn't got the job ;)

Later on i heard they got caught with some 25 illegals working there.... :rock: :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back