Another burnt up 48re

Glad to see you posting, Ronnie!

Hello and thanks!

New career, new hobbies so I'm not on much anymore.

I was talking to OLDCOLT at Tim Hortons today and he said someone was having tranny traumas so I thought I'd sign in and post a possibility.

Hello and thanks!

New career, new hobbies so I'm not on much anymore.

I was talking to OLDCOLT at Tim Hortons today and he said someone was having tranny traumas so I thought I'd sign in and post a possibility.

Did you see the guy in the chev truck looking at us when we left the parking lot? I think he was expecting us to race!!
Or maybe he heard my waste-gate open!

Sorry to hear about your struggles. It's understandable that you are upset. I'll contact a member here that I think may be able to offer you some helpful feedback.

Please add your location to your profile.

Chris,
I will offer what I can. Venomous168, I can sympathize with your problem, although mine was not as extensive as yours. 5 builds???? I respect your persistence.

When my stock tranny started slipping, I decided to have it rebuilt, and do a heads/cam package at the same time. To make a long story short, I was putting down 601 to the wheels naturally aspirated.

I think initially, the tranny felt odd. I'm not sure if it was the size of the torque converter or not, but to be on the safe side, it was torn down again, and the torque converter was replaced. Shortly after the tranny went back in the truck, I decided to go 6 speed. The built tranny that we took out only had around 3000 miles on it, and I had no issues. It had Suncoast parts, with another brand valve body ( can't remember the name). Now, although I didn't have any issues, my time with the tranny was short. So I don't know ultimately what longevity would have been.

With all this said, here are some thoughts, because you could be chasing a "ghost". I'm not certain, but Tony at JTSVP may still have that tranny sitting on his shelf. I thought it sold, but that deal might have fallen through. However, I think it was rated for around 700 rwhp, so you might be pushing its limit with your 680.

The other thing is that there is at least one guy on here that was doing a turbo 400 swap. The biggest piece of that puzzle was an adaptor plate for the motor, but one exists. I have seen it. There is no way you have an issue with a properly built Turbo 400. I'm not sure you want to go in that direction, but based on your previous attempts, and your desire to maintain an automatic, maybe it is worth your time and money.

Good luck in your efforts.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back