Any Home Theater Nuts here???

mopar_mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wonering if anyone has a dedicated theater in their house. We are in the process of making our first.

Right now I am working on a fiberoptic star ceiling. It has 852 stars that are made up of 5200 feet of 3 different size fiberoptic cable. I may just loose my marbles before I get it done, or atleast be cross eyed :argh:

yeah i love mine. i use it all the time. I use it for movies ball games or even my x box lol.

As far as a star field ceiling, I have seen it done with a double ceiling. Upper ceiling had lights on a dimmer with the lower ceiling being a black grid / black 2x2 ceiling tile with various sized holes throughout the ceiling. Looked pretty good and was cheap compared to running tons of wires.

TREKER said:
As far as a star field ceiling, I have seen it done with a double ceiling. Upper ceiling had lights on a dimmer with the lower ceiling being a black grid / black 2x2 ceiling tile with various sized holes throughout the ceiling. Looked pretty good and was cheap compared to running tons of wires.

That sounds like a great idea! Never thought of doing it that way.:dontknow: :rock:

all i can say is go with paradigm for the speakers. i have heard none better. the reproduction is un matched. i used sony ES for the audio but it depends on your budget. Macintosh has been around for a long time, not sure if it is anymore, but was made in usa. new york i think.

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-monitor-monitor9-model-2-4-1-18.paradigm
those are the ones i have now. in storage....
http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/centers-cinema-cinema220-model-3-2-1-78.paradigm
thats my center, but in black. its next to my bed now.
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Sony-STR-DA5000ES
there is the amp. cant wait to get the new house build to put it all back up.

Last edited:
scoobert said:
all i can say is go with paradigm for the speakers. i have heard none better. the reproduction is un matched. i used sony ES for the audio but it depends on your budget. Macintosh has been around for a long time, not sure if it is anymore, but was made in usa. new york i think.
With Paradigm, you're paying for the name. Personally, I love Axiom's, google reviews on them. I'm running M80's for towers, VP 150 for a center and QS8's for surrounds. And for a sub, a monster SVS PB12-Ultra/2. For a processor Denon 4308 and for amp B&K 200.7. I enjoy my movies. Unfortunately, I dont have the room for a dedicated home theater and I'm not converting my garage.

SANTEEN said:
With Paradigm, you're paying for the name. Personally, I love Axiom's, google reviews on them. I'm running M80's for towers, VP 150 for a center and QS8's for surrounds. And for a sub, a monster SVS PB12-Ultra/2. For a processor Denon 4308 and for amp B&K 200.7. I enjoy my movies. Unfortunately, I dont have the room for a dedicated home theater and I'm not converting my garage.

paradigm is all about research. they get money from the Canadian government to do research too.

i went with twin subs, the paradigm and a sony for higher notes.

My star ceiling is an 8' octagon all one piece. I didn't want to do the ceiling tile and have all the grid work in there, it will be cool when it is done.

I already have speakers, well sort of any way. I have Rocket RS760's for the fronts, I have a RSC-200 or a pair of RS550's that I will use for center. I also have a pair of RSS-300's for surronds but I need 4 (7.1 system) I use to use the 550's for rears but they won't fit any more, need a wall hung speaker. So I have to get another set of used RSS-300's (don't make them any more) or I may try out the Emotiva ERD-1's

I have a Yamaha V1400 receiver right now but am going to go with seperates. Probably going to be a Emotiva XPA-2 amps for the fronts and a XPA-5 for center and surrounds. Not totaly sure on the prepro yet. I also have a SVS PC-Ultra sub but want to get anther one.

We also got the seats for the theater a couple of weeks ago. Have 9 Berkline 12003's, 4 in the front row and 5 in the back.

Have the screen material, going to be a 144"x60" Center Stage XD screen, with all the speakers behind it.

It will be great when it is done :rock:

Here are some pictures, but I don't have anything recent of the star ceiling or chairs, I will have to get it updated: THEATER LINK

scoobert said:
paradigm is all about research. they get money from the Canadian government to do research too.

i went with twin subs, the paradigm and a sony for higher notes.
I'll take a set of Axiom's, Onix Rocket's or Swan's over Paradigm any day. Paradigm's are good, but not that good. You don't need twin subs, if you got one nasty ground dweller sub like an SVS. I run mine in 16hz mode and it'll pressurize my room that opens up to a kitchen and stairway.

mopar_mudder said:
My star ceiling is an 8' octagon all one piece. I didn't want to do the ceiling tile and have all the grid work in there, it will be cool when it is done.

I already have speakers, well sort of any way. I have Rocket RS760's for the fronts, I have a RSC-200 or a pair of RS550's that I will use for center. I also have a pair of RSS-300's for surronds but I need 4 (7.1 system) I use to use the 550's for rears but they won't fit any more, need a wall hung speaker. So I have to get another set of used RSS-300's (don't make them any more) or I may try out the Emotiva ERD-1's

I have a Yamaha V1400 receiver right now but am going to go with seperates. Probably going to be a Emotiva XPA-2 amps for the fronts and a XPA-5 for center and surrounds. Not totaly sure on the prepro yet. I also have a SVS PC-Ultra sub but want to get anther one.

We also got the seats for the theater a couple of weeks ago. Have 9 Berkline 12003's, 4 in the front row and 5 in the back.

Have the screen material, going to be a 144"x60" Center Stage XD screen, with all the speakers behind it.

It will be great when it is done :rock:

Here are some pictures, but I don't have anything recent of the star ceiling or chairs, I will have to get it updated: THEATER LINK
Ha we posted at the same time. Great choice in speakers and subs. The emotiva amp was also on my short list, I just got a great deal on the B&K, which is why I went with it.

mopar_mudder said:
(7.1 system)

a little note on 7.1, it doesn't actually exist. lol. its a stretched version of 5.1.
i initially set mine up 7.1 and returned two speakers. you dont need 4 rear.

also something to keep in mind mixing and matching speakers, they all need to be sound matched to sound good. think of this, a bee buzzing around your head. now imagine if the bee sounded different as he moved to each speaker. some higher buzzes, some lower.

EDIT: actually bluray might have 7.1, the HD-DVD on ym xbox did not.

Last edited:
SANTEEN said:
I'll take a set of Axiom's, Onix Rocket's or Swan's over Paradigm any day. Paradigm's are good, but not that good. You don't need twin subs, if you got one nasty ground dweller sub like an SVS. I run mine in 16hz mode and it'll pressurize my room that opens up to a kitchen and stairway.

Well ya but we don't NEED 500hp in a truck either :burnout:

More is better ya know :rock:

I may try the single SVS by it self and see how it goes, I just like lots of puch on those LFE effects. Right now I have it tunned at 20hz

nothin to special at my place, 8 foot drop down screen, Sanyo hd projector, and 1000w 6.1 sony surround, plays everything, xbox, cable, blue ray:rock: :rock: I f'n love the setup:rock:

I couldn't do a seperate room, but I have a 60" plasma with Sunfire preamp & 425 watt amp with all B&W 800 series speakers. Sounds great!!:elefant:
Al

TREKER said:
Are you lining the walls with anything?

It is in a basement so 3 wall are concrete other wall is common to a storage area. All walls have R13 fiberglass and one layer of sheetrock, now double sheetrock or anything speacial like that. Back and front wall with be accustic treated top to bottom and side wall the lower 1/2 will be.

scoobert said:
a little note on 7.1, it doesn't actually exist. lol. its a stretched version of 5.1.
i initially set mine up 7.1 and returned two speakers. you dont need 4 rear.

also something to keep in mind mixing and matching speakers, they all need to be sound matched to sound good. think of this, a bee buzzing around your head. now imagine if the bee sounded different as he moved to each speaker. some higher buzzes, some lower.

EDIT: actually bluray might have 7.1, the HD-DVD on ym xbox did not.

BluRay does have some actual 7.1 material and I have been running a 7.1 system for about 5 years now. Even 5.1 you can create the back 2 channel and I do like the effect but I know alot don't

scoobert said:
make sure to use good speaker wire too. no idea the name of the stuff i used except it cost $5 a foot in 2006.

Sorry I don't buy into the expensive wire and cable (monster cable). Wire is wire and as long as it is the proper guage and well made it will transfer elecricity. Their was aclually are really cool test done where people couldn't tell the difference between expensive wire and a coat hanger in blind testing.

Any way this is what I used, .25 a foot....
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023901&p_id=3844&seq=1&format=2

aac426 said:
I couldn't do a seperate room, but I have a 60" plasma with Sunfire preamp & 425 watt amp with all B&W 800 series speakers. Sounds great!!:elefant:
Al

Thats my preference. B&W is by far the best sounding speakers I have heard

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back