Any Home Theater Nuts here???

If you have money to spend check out JL Audio line of home speakers. They are impressively amazing. I heard them in a home theater set up and if you ever been to an IMAX movie that's what try sound like.
They are expensive though and their powered subs are unbelievable! They also have a speaker that screws in between studs and turns your entire wall into a speaker.

I have been in the industry for 20 years now. Started out in Car audio and them moved into yachts and custom homes.
In my own home I have a Lexicon Reciever, Marantz mono block amps, but went with 8 inch Speakercraft in walls. My biggest recomendation is GO LISTEN to different combinations. I don't care what everyone says. Sound is a PREFERENCE. Everyones ears are different, and no two people will ever agree on what sounds the best.
In our showroom we run McIntosh Preamps and amps. The speakers vary a bit and rotate through stock. I have heard many set ups and to my ear, my house sounds better than most.

walbert said:
I have been in the industry for 20 years now. Started out in Car audio and them moved into yachts and custom homes.
In my own home I have a Lexicon Reciever, Marantz mono block amps, but went with 8 inch Speakercraft in walls. My biggest recomendation is GO LISTEN to different combinations. I don't care what everyone says. Sound is a PREFERENCE. Everyones ears are different, and no two people will ever agree on what sounds the best.
In our showroom we run McIntosh Preamps and amps. The speakers vary a bit and rotate through stock. I have heard many set ups and to my ear, my house sounds better than most.
Good info there!!

walbert said:

That is very true, alot of it has to do with what you have become used to also. I am sticking with the speakers I have for now, except for getting new surrounds and they need to be wall hung. If I had done a little better planning I would have done in walls for the surrounds but it is too late for that now.

Got info back from the accustic design guy today and I am working on new 3D's of what it will look like, might have them tomarrow

love my home theatre we have 5 tvs in it one is a projection so basically just a screen comes down from ceiling then 2 flat screens mounted on each side of the screen all can access different channels its bout perfect for nfl sunday ticket

Got the star ceiling done and up: Pictures really don't show it good but here ya go

IMG_4925%20(Large).JPG

IMG_4975%20(Large).JPG

More pictures here if you want to look: THEATER PICTURES

As used to cold as you guys are way up there in Wisconsin...I thought you would just clear some snow away and use the real sky, sit in the hot tub and hang the new screen on the side of the barn...:dontknow: :dontknow: :D :D :elefant: :elefant:

Prof said:
As used to cold as you guys are way up there in Wisconsin...I thought you would just clear some snow away and use the real sky, sit in the hot tub and hang the new screen on the side of the barn...:dontknow: :dontknow: :D :D :elefant: :elefant:

As funny as you think that is you can see an old barn when sitting in our hot tub.......;)

Can't quiet see it in this picture, it is just to the right. Oohhhh but the tractor is here.....

image146.jpg

Last edited:
walbert said:
In my own home I have a Lexicon Reciever, Marantz mono block amps, but went with 8 inch Speakercraft in walls. My biggest recomendation is GO LISTEN to different combinations.

It is a matter of preference for sure, and money second. If you can't afford a high-dollar front to back system, don't go listed to the good stuff. You'll never know what you're missing. You'll think Bose was sent by the gods for your listening pleasure. Unfortunately, I was ruined by years of sales and installation of nice gear (KEF Reference, Hafler, Apogee, Cello (Mark Levinson), Classe', Krell, Wilson Audio, etc.). I settled for pretty good in my theater, but keep a two-channel setup in another room (Krell monoblock amps, Apogee Scintillas, Classe') when I really want to hear the accuracy and detail that a recording has to offer.

Being a Speakercraft dealer, I got in on the factory disco'd Starlet series. These are pretty nice in-wall speaks. Full-height ribbons (5' in the front three LCR's, 3' in the rear surrounds) with a bank of 6" woven fiber mid/woofs behind them (about 12k at retail, paid less than a quarter of that). I run a Velodyne ULD-18 sub (running the outboard room compensation box) that's hidden under the stairs, and vents through a flush-mounted speaker grill. For extra effect, I have two Ass Kickers bolted to the sub-floor below the main seating position. Side fills are Speakercraft LCR's mounted in the soffits. I run a Denon receiver, but don't bother with the built-in amps. They're not enough to drive the ribbons, so I have an ADA 6 x 200 and a Parasound 5 x 200 amp to drive the room. All the gear is hidden in the under-stair closet, and the air is fan ducted into the crawl space (controlled by a thermostat). Running the current Panasonic 1080p projector. Nice unit for a couple grand.

If sound matters and you can afford it, listen, listen, listen. Even if it isn't your room that it's in, you can still tell a great deal about the capability of the speakers. If you can afford decent speakers, buy separate amps. The power of even very good receivers are typically insufficient to drive a good speaker to high volumes without inducing listener fatigue. As far as speaker wire is concerned, just buy good OFC high-strand count wire of sufficient gauge to accommodate the power you'll be running. You'll likely never hear a difference in anything better. It takes some pretty accurate gear to start making speaker cabling matter. Then anything goes. Hell, the cables between my Krells and Apogees have their own power supplies.:eek:

Must stop typing and get back to work....

Prof said:
What did he say?

Eric is speaking in tongues again...:p :D

Man, my folks have pictures of me before I was four years old with my head under the hi-fi staring at the glowing tubes. Audio is my favorite thing that doesn't wear a bra or burn gasoline. I've been involved in it more than half of my life.;)

Thought that I would just through in an update that their is some new pictures up of the theater build. Got the ceiling, crown molding, rope light done. Going to be working on equipment cabinet and ordering carpet this week end :rock:

THEATER BUILD PICTURES

Any opinions on the new LED/LCD technology? I was checking a few out at Magnolia (in Best Buy) the other day. It seemed the video was choppy on them. I don't even know if "choppy" is the right word... :dontknow: It was just like, something didn't seem right. :confused: They were playing Avatar through BluRay so, it wasn't because of some weird HD feed.

I also looked at some of the newer gen Plasmas. They are 600Hz and they are AWESOME! :rock: No video latency/chop issues with these babies. And, they were generally cheaper than LED/LCD. :dontknow:

Thoughts?

Black1 said:
Any opinions on the new LED/LCD technology? I was checking a few out at Magnolia (in Best Buy) the other day. It seemed the video was choppy on them. I don't even know if "choppy" is the right word... :dontknow: It was just like, something didn't seem right. :confused: They were playing Avatar through BluRay so, it wasn't because of some weird HD feed.

I also looked at some of the newer gen Plasmas. They are 600Hz and they are AWESOME! :rock: No video latency/chop issues with these babies. And, they were generally cheaper than LED/LCD. :dontknow:

Thoughts?

Im going with the 600Hz plasmas for my theater room, if I ever have the time home to get on it. 600Hz is awesome for gaming, part of the reason Im going with it. I dont have much to do to get my theater room completed, my house came with one built in....Hang the TV and get components how i want them, and hook surround sound up to existing wiring...DONE!!!!! I also got to hang a TV outside on the back porch. Nothing but work when im home on vacation.....

Black1 said:

Thoughts?

Haven't really looked hard at them no, my LCD in the living room is a 240hz CFL, Sammy 46B750. It has a great picture and is thought of as one of the best LCD's out their, even against the new LED's. I think LED will be great once they get "new" worked out of if.

As far as my theater goes is will be an LCD projector, no flat screen big enough for what I want to do :D

Black1 said:

Thoughts?

Anyone? :confused: :eek:

ITS DONE!!!

Well the theater is finally complete, well 99% any way. Still have to get the doors for the equipment rack stained and put on. It is an awsome way to watch movies, sound is so much better when you have a dedicated and treated room, no comparison to having surround sound in your living room.

See all the pictures here: Theater Pictures

IMG_5651%20(Large).JPG

That is really REALLY awesome! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

How big is that room??? Did you convert a older space, build on, or spec your house in advance?

Black1 said:
That is really REALLY awesome! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

How big is that room??? Did you convert a older space, build on, or spec your house in advance?

We built a new house last year and this is a room that I designed into the basement. It is roughly 14'-9' x 22'

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back