Any Questions?

You will need to rent or buy the long tool for releasing the tension on the serpentine belt. Find the oem belt sticker or take some pictures before removing it.
There is ONE belt to buy.
Some hoses like to stick in place but a good twist or two will break them free for replacement.
Before you remove the hoses, drain the coolant from the rad (take the rad cap off first). There is a black plastic twist tap down low, towards the Driver's side. If you are working on Kiwi's truck, he may tell you something different. This "twist tap" also has a spout. Find the right size hose to slip over the spout before opening so you can direct the Coolant into a catch basin. Close the tap.
The tension-clamps on the hoses can be a little challenging to release (one at each end of each hose), but not too bad with the right sized pliers, or you can buy the proper tool for that too.
Buy new Coolant. Make sure it is the right kind. I like the Mopar stuff.
Once your new hoses are installed and clamped, and your new belt is on, open the small bleeder on top of the thermostat housing. This will let air out while you are filling the rad with new Coolant.
Start it up and if your bleeder is doing a geyser impression, close it a bit but still leave it open. Add fluid until your rad is full then once it warms up and the thermostat opens, you may need to add a bit more.
When pure fluid starts coming out of the bleeder, you can close it.
Add Coolant to your Overflow bucket, if needed.
Check for leaks, put your rad cap on and wait until the engine is up to temp then check for leaks again.
Go for a drive and enjoy the day.
After the engine has cooled down, remove the Rad Cap one more time and make sure the rad is full.

P.S.The old Coolant may look fine but corrosion inhibitors get depleted. Dissimilar metals in close proximity, are particularly hard on corrosion inhibitors and is the reason for some engines having head gasket issues over time, IF the Coolant wasnt regularly changed.

P.S.S.
Don't leave the old Coolant in open containers. Cats seem to like it and you may find them later "sleeping" on their backs with their legs straight up. (It's quite toxic.)
Very informative thank you!

I'm definitely on task to kick her off her throne this year and put at least one or two miles on her before I'm to old to remember what to do with three pedals!

Back in my youth my Dad left anti freeze in an open bucket in garage. We didn't know our dog would drink it!!!
GAWD what a horrible horrible thing. Something I'm positive I'll never ever f forget. Not sure if what it did to the dog or my Dad was worse :(:(:(

my Dad did live through it. Not so for the dog

A stock Gen III at sea-level idles at 12" of Vacuum at operating temperature with 0-40 oil.

My own egine idles at 10" with an 11:1 compression ratio, a bit of a cam, a 3700-foot elevation, and 0-30 oil.

There aren't any magic tunes that will provide better economy.

It is frustrating not to be able to adjust the basics without diving into the E.C.U.

Thanks for the compliment(s) Wifey! Glad you are getting some useful tidbits out of the info exchanges!
I'm sea level in Savannah, interesting read about the vacuum, thanks Ronnie.

Belts and hoses are straightforward stuff....finding some those replacements may be a problem you run into. I seem to recall one of the rad hoses being completely unobtainable nowadays.
How long has it been sitting?
I went aftermarket with the rad and heater hoses. They are silicone, and look great in Red.

Back in my youth my Dad left anti freeze in an open bucket in garage. We didn't know our dog would drink it!!!
GAWD what a horrible horrible thing. Something I'm positive I'll never ever f forget. Not sure if what it did to the dog or my Dad was worse :(:(:(

my Dad did live through it. Not so for the dog
Sad ,,, yes that and windshield washer fluid CANNOT BE MADE NON POISONOUS ! It is suppose to state that on the label !

I went aftermarket with the rad and heater hoses. They are silicone, and look great in Red.
Pics ,,, as the long long time saying on here goes “ your post is no good without pics “ :D

Belts and hoses are straightforward stuff....finding some those replacements may be a problem you run into. I seem to recall one of the rad hoses being completely unobtainable nowadays.
How long has it been sitting?
Is there a difference between the Hemi or other motored rams that are interchangeable? It seems like many parts for the tens are becoming less and less available these days .

Is there a difference between the Hemi or other motored rams that are interchangeable? It seems like many parts for the tens are becoming less and less available these days .

The PN of the Hydraulic Fan Assembly is 05290438 AF

It is supposed to be the same unit as the 2010 Dodge Journeys 3.5 and 2.4L as well as 2006 Ram 1500s with a 5.7 or a 4.7L.

It might not be a bad idea to snag one of those. The hoses aren't the greatest but the units themselves are fine.

Last edited:
The PN of the Hydraulid Fan Assembly is 05290438 AF

It is supposed to be the same unit as the 2010 Dodge Journeys 3.5 and 2.4L as well as 2006 Ram 1500s with a 5.7 or a 4.7L.

It might not be a bad idea to snag one of those. The hoses aren't the greatest but the units themselves are fine.
Thanks Ronnie ,, things like that are good to know ! I wish they had put other hard to get parts on other newer trucks , like the big brake calipers on the 2005 fronts .

found this site which may be helpful at finding other interchangeable parts ;
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/par...2=&filter=(E=EWC;T=DG8;M=SRT-10 Quad Cab 2WD)

So where it says this part is discontinued does it mean the original?

So where it says this part is discontinued does it mean the original?
It appears so ,, that’s the mopar part number for the 2004 to 2006 rams .. not newer rams for interchangeability..

A good portion of the truck is interchangeable, but there are some significant 10 specific parts. I did ALOT of part number comparing & looking up back in the day figuring out what I could or even wanted to use. For instance, across 2004, all the differing engines (3.7, 4.7, 5.7, 5.9, 8.3) have different rad hoses lol. You'd think they'd want parts commonality just to save a few bucks.

A good portion of the truck is interchangeable, but there are some significant 10 specific parts. I did ALOT of part number comparing & looking up back in the day figuring out what I could or even wanted to use. For instance, across 2004, all the differing engines (3.7, 4.7, 5.7, 5.9, 8.3) have different rad hoses lol. You'd think they'd want parts commonality just to save a few bucks.
They have been doing that garbage for years ! A poor attempt at Greed IMO ! Stupid IMO ! No different than say Apple using different type charging plug plug ins and the EV makers doing the same at the beginning.

IMG_0302.png I’m going to take a guess !
These tools must be to remove the manifold bolts .. home made or sold by someone ??

View attachment 65480 I’m going to take a guess !
These tools must be to remove the manifold bolts .. home made or sold by someone ??

Sure looks like it.
Many of the bolts are removed through the holes on top of the Intake.
The most challenging are over #9.
At least, all the bolts are visible and compared with working on many of the new vehicles, our Intake is quite easy.

Would be good to have tools that make it easier .. not sure if those tools can be bought or are they make shift ? I’ve never done the manifold or the coil packs . Hell the spark plugs are enough of a pain in the but to change even with a swivel socket ,, I always break the back one on the drivers side taking it out hahaha ! Then careful as hell putting it back in .

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back