auto transmission

staffie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello, Could anyone help me?
When it's hot I have problem changing gear.
To go from 2-3 it does not immediately
sometimes it takes 10 km that make it
also lock the doors it is not
and often when the door lock is made speed snaps after
I do not understand?
thank you to you

hard to read sir , can u be more specific ?
in flemisch ?

or in frensch , maybe bhpaddict on the forum can answer u...

Sounds like the tranny bands need adjustment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

thank you for your reply but I do not know where is this setting.
I also have problems when it is over 26 ° C
At this time the speed goes correctly.
Thank you in advance.

If your transmission is having difficulty shifting when it is very hot, you likely have either a band our of adjustment, a shift solenoid issue, or bad fluid.

The very first thing to check is your fluid level, smell and color. If you have been driving the truck for long distances at high rpm in 1st or 2nd gear you may have burnt the fluid.

I'd recommend having the transmission fluid drained, and also flushed. That can get out lots of containments that may be causing the issue. Your profile says that you are from Belgium, that means that you won't have a local Dodge dealer to check out your truck. I'd also recommend taking the truck to a reputable franchised dealership and have them check it out if you decide to have the transmission flushed out.

Thank you to you.
I will control the information Skyy.
And translated into Flemish for Sammy.
What bands? (adjustment of our band)

My friend, you really need to get your truck to a QUALIFIED" tranny shop. Our tyranny's have problems with solenoids and often need the bands adjusted.

staffie , do the effort and go to M@rtin in Holland.
he rebuild my transmission and know what hes doing.
i drove 350km up and 350km down for my rebuild.
i will also go there for transfluid and filter change and band adjustments.;)

TransM Transmissie Revisie

Hi, I had to do.
But I did the oil change automatic transmission.
The filter and I've done both strip settings.
I still have the same problem.
When it is hot or when I'm at the bus stop with the engine running for a few minutes, I roll and I come over to spend the 4 remains at 3, then after driving 20 to 30 minutes of the door is locked and the 4 happening in seconds !!!!!
I think yardstick temperature sensor or speed sensor.
Thank you for your opinion.

Hi, I had to do.
But I did the oil change automatic transmission.
The filter and I've done both strip settings.
I still have the same problem.
When it is hot or when I'm at the bus stop with the engine running for a few minutes, I roll and I come over to spend the 4 remains at 3, then after driving 20 to 30 minutes of the door is locked and the 4 happening in seconds !!!!!
I think yardstick temperature sensor or speed sensor.
Thank you for your opinion.

:confused:

It sounds like your kickdown cable is a bit too tight.

CAREFULLY remove the beige clip locking your kickdown cable with a small screwdriver and loosen the cable by pushing it down slightly (1/16" for the first adjustment) then reattach the clip. Go for a drive and see if that helped.

Your final adjustment should have the cable moving AS SOON AS your throttle cable moves and shouldn't be under tension with the throttle closed.

One issue, ram the technical book 1500 2006 or 2005 it exist in French?
Thank you.
If I need English in 2006.

The adjustment is under the hood; right beside the throttle body where the throttle, cruise control and kickdown cables all terminate.

Thank you Ronnie, I'll check the cables.
I also cruise control no longer works.
This may be related to my problem!

Hello The problem is pending.
View on the forum valves
I must before finishing the reassembly of the cylinder heads;
Thank you all

The MAIN issue with the 48RE is they can't tolerate much in the way of debris (primarily band material) getting on the screen of the Solenoid. When it operates, it doesn't move the shuttle valve very much (maybe 1/64"), so it doesn't take much band material on the screen to bugger up it operating properly and your tranny will start to fail.

I've had luck with the GM Solenoid kit which are larger and more robust than our OEM units.

When the transmissions start to go rarely (if ever) does a band adjustment and/or fluid change help; as the band material keeps flaking off and causing the same problem. Once the band material is gone (which doesn't take long), you have metal on metal and things get more expensive to repair. At that point, it doesn't matter if band material is plugging up the Solenoid or not.

I went with an old "Hemi Rigid Band" and was steered clear of the "Red Eagle" clutches as they are designed to grab AT FULL THROTTLE.

Some kind of a shift-kit (or better yet) valve body mods by someone that knows what they are doing, will keep the line pressure high-enough so the band and clutches can survive full-throttle shifts.

I chose a torque convertor in the 26-2800 range which really makes a nice difference when street driving and launches hard at the track. Strongly recommend this mod!

Our trannys have their roots in the 1950s and are quite marginal for the SRT-10 which is why the factory ecu programming killed power during a full-throttle shift which helps them live; Many manufacturers do that today to keep autos alive. Even my Smart car (which doesn't make enough power to hurt itself anyway).

The 48RE needs a little help to survive; and if you are adding more power, need to be built accordingly.

If your engine produces more power than stock (say 75 more), find someone that can build the tranny to withstand more power. NO point in rebuilding to stock specs.

Also, there is a check-valve (ball) inside the cooler hose (near the radiator, driver's side) that has been known to fall apart and plug things up. Have a hose made that doesn't use a check valve. It was in there to prevent drain-back and slow transmission engagement if the vehicle has sat for a while. It is an simple valve body modification that will allow you to run without that check-valve and will lubricate the transmission properly.

On the topic of valve bodies, these transmissions can survive without a shift that is so hard you will loosen fillings in your head. Living with those on the street is not fun and YOU WILL eventually break some parts.

If you can't find someone locally to fix it properly, box it up and ship it to someone that can. Try to get some references because I went through a few "We can Fix That, No Problem !!" guys before finding a guy that really could.

Good luck.

PS I'm sure you will get guys coming on here trying to convince you to go to a 6-speed. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back