BAD Build...Opinions, Please

WOLFRAM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BAD Build

It looks like the engine I had built for my RC has turned out to be a BAD build.:bawling:

The build consists of...
Forged pistons & rods, billet mains, ARP's throughout, Comp 270 cam, valve job & valves, hardened push rods, bee hive springs, and an ATI fluid damper. Also, the block & crank where replaced with used ones that needed minimal work.

When the engine was first delivered it had been dropped or something dropped on the front end of the crank. I refused it and sent it back to be inspected. The builder said he had inspected and rebalanced it and everything was OK. When it arrived the 2nd time there was no build (spec.) sheet. I asked them to send me the specs. and the builder ("pirateman" ) told me to ask Stinker. Since he ordered all the parts, he should have all that information.:confused:

I got it installed and after 4-1hr idle sessions, the rear main started leaking. After taking the rear cover off I discovered the seal was still on the crank, not pressed into the cover. Replaced the seal, another 3-1hr idles, then 700 (easy) miles and 300 normal driving, & On to "BBORR".

During practice (3 passes) at the "BBORR", a vibration started around 140-145 (5th gear) and by the time you get to 155 the shifter was shaking 6-8" (side to side). It starts easy and builds gradually and isn't noticeable in the lower gears. (but, I don't keep it at high RPM's in those gears either)

This caused the rear transmission seal to go out. I replaced the seal and upgraded to the '05 tail housing with the damper. The the vibe moved to 145 & up with 4"-6" shake, but louder.

It uses a qt. of oil per tank and has done so from the beginning.

Then there's the dyno results...

DYNOBASE.jpg

Does this look like the curve of an engine with increased compression (10.5:1 ?)and a "Comp" 270 cam?

I have tried repeatedly to get the specs., with no success. "pirateman" won't answer my calls. The last two times that we talked, (the 1st of which) he again told me to get the info. from Stinker. After I explained that it had to come from the machinist & assembler, he said that he would have his son get the info. from the machinist and send it to me along with the original crank damper that had been replaced with an ATI. After 2 weeks of him not answering my calls, I borrowed a phone with a different area code and tried again. He answered after the first ring and was shocked to here my voice. I was then told that the damper had been sent out 2 days ago, and his son was picking up the specs. that day to send to me the following day. 2 months later...nothing, and of course... NO ANSWER:argh:

The truck has been on jack stands since 8/1 (using tires on the YF),and it looks like I'm stuck with a VERY expensive paperweight.

I've never had to deal with anything like this before. So, I anyone out there has any "RELEVANT" input on how to proceed from here...
FIRE AWAY.

Last edited:
I know hou mentioned MPH in your post, did you happen to notice the RPM each time

As much as I think about this, I would tend to think if it was engine or transmission, the wobble would have resulted in catistophic failure

years ago, had something similar happen to a friends dragster. The drivetrain was missaligned, shook like a son of a gun and broke a motor mount

I've had the drive shaft checked & it's OK.

I don't understand why it's only at top end. Where it's supposed to be built to run at.

Also, the cam I bought was for adding more at top end. This one drops of like a stock one.

Last edited:
Sorry I wish I could help more. Not enough expirience to help with the motor.

The shifter shake it the only thing I had an idea with

J

maybe try to find a stock GenIII or even a GenIV motor.

get the spec sheet and cross check the build, the numbers dont look terrible, what type of dyno.

Do you have a drive line angle gauge?

Have you been able to check your ehaust temps at the header on each cylinder?

Have you pulled and read your plugs yet?

The sure way to get it the way you want it:

Pull the engine...call John Edwards and coordinate a tear down and rebuild...

He will do a wonderful job for you and will charge you only for time and only the parts that he has to add...and shipping.

Seriously, you have to use Viper specific builders...I think that Pirateman has built one Viper before...his own. He is a mechanic but focuses on marine engines.

Here is John Edwards number: (248) 420-1564

John has built for Arrow Racing and Archer Racing...he just finished TinyGiants motor and has done mine and Ram From Hells'.

I think that Stinker also has a good builder.

Other than those two there is, JMB, DC Performance in Ca. and Underground Racing...beyond those I would be very suspect!

It's just a thought but how long was the truck just sitting? Maybe the tires developed a flat spot and maybe it's only noticeable at High speeds????? Have you tried taking the yf at high speeds to see if it's tires?

Just a thought I had. As far as oil consumption I have no idea

kickinassrt-10 said:
It's just a thought but how long was the truck just sitting? Maybe the tires developed a flat spot and maybe it's only noticeable at High speeds????? Have you tried taking the yf at high speeds to see if it's tires?

Just a thought I had. As far as oil consumption I have no idea

Not a tire issue. I run KDW 2's, and yes the YF rides much smoother. (Rims look great too).

RedSrt007 said:
Have you spoken to stinker about it?
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28929&highlight=pirateman

I would talk to him and see if he can get ahold of pirateman ASAP and see what the issue is..maybe its something as simple as a phone call.

Yes, I have. Stinker is checking with his new builder to get his opinion, haven't heard back yet. As far as phone calls...Stinker said pirateman stoped taking his call way before mine.

FYI...I've been trying to resolve this since May (6 months), bringing it here is a last resort. (I didn't want to, other members said it needed to be known) It's also the dark place referred to in OSO's thread & why I haven't been here in a while.

BurntRubber said:
the numbers dont look terrible, what type of dyno.

A.R.T.'s dyno, at the TX GTG Dyno Day.

I have a another dyno sheet with another members stock truck on it with mine & they are almost identical.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back