BAD Build...Opinions, Please

WOLFRAM said:
Good Morning, all.:vollkommenauf: Man that big light is bright.:coffee:
we

The dowels are there along with a new pilot bearing.

Done, It checks out OK.

None was suggested. I have only used Royal Purple, Break in oil for 700 miles.
Then switched to XPR10-40 raceing oil. Now using 10-30, I don't have to order it. There has been no change in the consumption with either grade.

When I changed the plugs out (at about 1000 miles) there was oil, heavy on #9.

Will be checking them again along with the plugs. I'm trying to locate a leak down gauge & UOA lab now.

Details please, hook up where & what am I looking for?
well i know your problem,atleast the oil comsumption,you should have never used royal purple to break your engine in,never use a synthetic oil to break the engine in ,your rings didnt seat ,you should have used rotella 15/40 during the break in period

flchub said:
well i know your problem,atleast the oil comsumption,you should have never used royal purple to break your engine in,never use a synthetic oil to break the engine in ,your rings didnt seat ,you should have used rotella 15/40 during the break in period
Hey thats What I used:rock: He used the RP break in, it isn't synthetic it is like rotella but has more shit in it(phosphate etc) I know it is very expensive.

DevilDawg3097 said:
Hey thats What I used:rock: He used the RP break in, it isn't synthetic it is like rotella but has more shit in it(phosphate etc) I know it is very expensive.

How long did you run the break in RP?

DevilDawg3097 said:
there is oil consumption so the rp obviously didnt do the job,and a 700 mile break in period is a tad light,i was told to put 1500 miles on my engine,dont go over 4000 rpms during that time period.

in any case the rings didnt seat,thats evident with the oil consumption

I might as well put my .02 cents in. Sorry to hear about this man. According to your first post I would think you had way too much idle time for a fresh engine. I've always put the engine under load after bringing it up to temperature to seat the rings...especially with one that you are going to race. Of course all of my experience is with GM engines. Hope it all works out for you.

Stinker said:
Ok, now what exactly is the failure? so far the engine has not failed, the problem is a vibration.Darrin can crank and drive the truck as it sits now, jsut not above 150mph according to what he told me, anything above 155mph an the vibration got scary.

now if the vibration is comming from the engine it should get progressivly worse with rpms, so in any gear it should vibrate, or at least at a certain rpm in any gear, and most likley come apart, so far the engine has not failed, the vibration could be comming from the clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, tranny, bent axle, axle tubes, any number of things,

more things actually need to be checked before a complete teardown takes place.

i thinkanother issue is at those speeds, he is under WOT for extended times. in the lower gears he cant hold it at WOT without hitting the rev limiter. it needs to be put on a dynapack dyno, and the brakes engaged on the dyno to force the engine to run at WOT without going past 5k-5.5k rpms for extended times in lower gears. that will help a LOT. as far as the tranny goes, if someone will pay shipping ill pull mine out and send it to him as a comparison, i know for fact mine is good. will take him a hour to switch it out. just a offer....

ill send him my flywheel also. . . .

Stanimal said:
i thinkanother issue is at those speeds, he is under WOT for extended times. in the lower gears he cant hold it at WOT without hitting the rev limiter. it needs to be put on a dynapack dyno, and the brakes engaged on the dyno to force the engine to run at WOT without going past 5k-5.5k rpms for extended times in lower gears. that will help a LOT. as far as the tranny goes, if someone will pay shipping ill pull mine out and send it to him as a comparison, i know for fact mine is good. will take him a hour to switch it out. just a offer....

This is the kind of help and generousity I love about this forum. Not everyone is a crook! That's one great offer man. :rock:

Stanimal said:

WOW!!!
I don't know what else to say except...WOW!!!

The trans is a big ? as far as the vibration issue, along with flywheel/clutch & inner axle shafts.

The axles, I can have inspected locally, like I did the drive shaft.
However, the trans & clutch assy. will need to swap out in order to know for sure.

I'll let you know.

Here's the UOA I had done today...

UOA01.jpg

Also did some more test on vibration, it's only in 5th gear & starts @5k rpm.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back