BAD Build...Opinions, Please

SrtBrad said:
Darrin I'm glad you took my advise on starting this thread.

I'm sure any reasonable person like Darrin would want advise from several members,friends, and family before taking any further action. Hopefully there is a reasonable outcome to this situation.

Hopefully Pirateman steps up and addresses this issue and makes it right. In the mean time is there any members/builders/vendors here that would be willing to take the engine apart as a neutral party to address the reason for failure?

Ok, now what exactly is the failure? so far the engine has not failed, the problem is a vibration.Darrin can crank and drive the truck as it sits now, jsut not above 150mph according to what he told me, anything above 155mph an the vibration got scary.

now if the vibration is comming from the engine it should get progressivly worse with rpms, so in any gear it should vibrate, or at least at a certain rpm in any gear, and most likley come apart, so far the engine has not failed, the vibration could be comming from the clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, tranny, bent axle, axle tubes, any number of things,

more things actually need to be checked before a complete teardown takes place.

andrew heywood said:
go after the shipin company, they should have done their homework, and apparently they did not...........as far as coverin their ass goes, and ya might wanna talk to a attorney friend...........

Why go after the shipper??...they offered to pay whatever to fix it...the engine was inspected by the builder and passed....shipper is out of the picture now...

andrew heywood said:
go after the shipin company, they should have done their homework, and apparently they did not...........as far as coverin their ass goes, and ya might wanna talk to a attorney friend...........
I dont think it was them andrew, I think it was a poor inspection and left at that. The shipping company was expecting a bill most likely.

andrew heywood said:

the shipping company is free and clear, the engine was ok'd , so going after or talking with the shipping company after all this time is not going to get him anywhere,, once the engine was deemed ok, they were free and clear

WOLFRAM said:
Non-communication is the reason I brought it here. I understand that shit happens and I don"t really want to crucify "Sloan". I just need proof of what I paid for, and is it really safe for "FI".

I have seen many a thread on forums complaining about a vendor......you have been the most civil and respectful I have read under the circumstances..:rock: ..I hope you and Sloan work it out....

Stinker said:
Ok, now what exactly is the failure? so far the engine has not failed, the problem is a vibration.Darrin can crank and drive the truck as it sits now, jsut not above 150mph according to what he told me, anything above 155mph an the vibration got scary.

now if the vibration is comming from the engine it should get progressivly worse with rpms, so in any gear it should vibrate, or at least at a certain rpm in any gear, and most likley come apart, so far the engine has not failed, the vibration could be comming from the clutch, flywheel, driveshaft, tranny, bent axle, axle tubes, any number of things,

The vibration starts at 145, and get ridiculous over 150. (FYI my first RC ran at 170 without even a rattle from the shifter)

At the last BBORR I drop down into a class where I couldn't go over 140 without being DQ'ed. I ran most of the course at (or just below) 140, with no vibration.

Also, at the TX GTG a machinist with a keen eye was watch the rear tires on the dyno and pointed out that the paint line on the rims was off a bit. As we watched the wheels spin, the rims looked to be running true.

My point is, wouldn't a bend in the axle or tube have shown up ther as wobble?

andrew heywood said:
That engine should have been replaced after it got droped, god speed on gittin it worked out WOLFRAM..............:rock: :D :rock:
Please forgive my vulture mentality on goin after the shipin co........

WOLFRAM said:
The vibration starts at 145, and get ridiculous over 150. (FYI my first RC ran at 170 without even a rattle from the shifter)

At the last BBORR I drop down into a class where I couldn't go over 140 without being DQ'ed. I ran most of the course at (or just below) 140, with no vibration.

Also, at the TX GTG a machinist with a keen eye was watch the rear tires on the dyno and pointed out that the paint line on the rims was off a bit. As we watched the wheels spin, the rims looked to be running true.

My point is, wouldn't a bend in the axle or tube have shown up ther as wobble?
yes itwould, that wouldprob eliminate axles

not sure 100% but this should be your custom piston spec sheet

CCI00007.jpg
[/IMG]

Stinker said:
the shipping company is free and clear, the engine was ok'd , so going after or talking with the shipping company after all this time is not going to get him anywhere,, once the engine was deemed ok, they were free and clear
:dito: Once Sloan released the engine back to the shipper, Yellow's liability ended.
I have tried to sue an engine builder in the past for billing me for work that was never done, long story. Fact is that most judges and magistrates are not knowledgable enough about high performance engines to make an informed ruling. I lugged my GN motor into the Gaston County courthouse to show the magistrate that the motor had not been line bored and honed before it was assembled with new steel mains and a steel crank. I had photos of what it should have looked like, and he could plainly see that it didn't look like the photo. I lost the case because he couldn't understand that steps 1 and 2 need to be done before you can move on to step 3. It was an EXPENSIVE lesson. The next builder that got that motor did an excellent job, but I was in his shop at least once a week going over the build with him and having him explain everything he did. My experience says that you should TRY to use a local builder that you can stop in on and personally check on the process. My build was around $2500 in machine shop labor and another $2500 in parts, I'm sure yours is more than that.

TNVIPER said:
I have seen many a thread on forums complaining about a vendor......you have been the most civil and respectful I have read under the circumstances..:rock: ..I hope you and Sloan work it out....

Thank you.:eek:

Stinker said:
not sure 100% but this should be your custom piston spec sheet

CCI00007.jpg
[/IMG]

Should...Should, are you as far in the bag as I am? And, what corner are you in?:beer: :cheers:

pretty far bud, been up since 5 am, drove to tn and discussed the hoods with the fabrictor, ending up in mucho more dinero, so yeah my mood is at the bottom of the bottle and most likley will be for a couple days..........

Stinker said:

not tryin to get in the miiddle of shit t all but tony i disagree with you .....to an extent burning 1 qt of oil every 300 miles is a failure in my books and something is wrong withe the engine....and another thing did anyone actually check with yellow and see if a claim was filed could have been an easy come up for pirateman since he was the shipper ...just throwing that out there

Stinker said:
pretty far bud, been up since 5 am, drove to tn and discussed the hoods with the fabrictor, ending up in mucho more dinero, so yeah my mood is at the bottom of the bottle and most likley will be for a couple days..........

We really do need to live closer to each other, but then again...our livers would probably sue us for damages.:D

505'sFastestViper. said:
not tryin to get in the miiddle of shit t all but tony i disagree with you .....to an extent burning 1 qt of oil every 300 miles is a failure in my books and something is wrong withe the engine....and another thing did anyone actually check with yellow and see if a claim was filed could have been an easy come up for pirateman since he was the shipper ...just throwing that out there

Excellent point, Thank You.

Almost for got about the oil, have ran 3 cases through (Only drained 1)

P.S. Tony, do you have the same specs. for the stock pistons for comparison to these? (or the one in my engine, if different)

Last edited:
505'sFastestViper. said:
Dom i agree, but i still would like to see more checks done like a leak down or a compression check done before a complete teardown is done.
as far as the claim , I dont think a claim was ever made, from what I understand yellow asked what the results were, if you ask me they would have most likly denied it due to the packaging, but then again I wasnt involved in any of the shipping, but either way, yellow is clear at the moment

and yessir, like a pickled barrel bud

Stinker said:
Dom i agree, but i still would like to see more checks done like a leak down or a compression check done before a complete teardown is done.
as far as the claim , I dont think a claim was ever made, from what I understand yellow asked what the results were, if you ask me they would have most likly denied it due to the packaging, but then again I wasnt involved in any of the shipping, but either way, yellow is clear at the moment

and yessir, like a pickled barrel bud

Do you remember the #'s from the compression teat I did at the race? I'm thinking all around 157 ave. I call Rusell tomorrow to see if he can bring me the gauges to do another comp/leak down test.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back