Battery Relocation - Hesitant Start (Video)

Prof said:
How about two batteries in the rear? There are advantages...two new optima's ought to provide the jolt you need to avoid the hesitation.
LOL, not an option for me sorry. More weight, more money, basically over the battery in the rear now. I just want it how it was LOL. :)

Why not try a bigger cable? You have changed everything else and went to a lot of trouble. I would have changed the cable out first if I were having the problem.

kennygene said:
Why not try a bigger cable? You have changed everything else and went to a lot of trouble. I would have changed the cable out first if I were having the problem.
Well, you're a braver man than me Kenny. The battery was one of the most obvious and easier options to try. Also, I'm not in too much hurry to remove a cable I just paid decent money for. In hindsight then, It could have made my own kit lol. I'm just over it all to be honest, pros and cons for both locations, for me, the front is where my mind is and the front is where it will be going......again. :laugh: I have some big cable which we did try it but just not routed underneath, we went around the tires and it made zero difference, so I'm not holding my breath for it to work as I doubt how it's routed makes any difference (within reason). My apologies for not mentioning that but yeah, as I said, just over it LOL. Cheers!

Last edited:
ScottVa said:
It starts and sounds like it is running about 39 degrees total engine advance.
Huh? :dontknow: Not sue but it's been puring nicely to me and drives fine. I never knew you could tell timing from hearing, mind you, I'm no mechanic.
Sounds fine to me and as I said, goes hard. Just got a fresh new tine from Torrie too - mint!

While I'm here, I removed all my cable from the relocation kit yesterday, total was just under 20ft, 6 metres LOL. That's a lot of cable especially compared to the factories 3ft worth lol. I can definitely see that length being an issue, maybe not all trucks but mine and maybe a few others. The battery is up front now in a make shift holder until my Roe Racing order with the new OEM battery tray gets here. Even in it's make shift holder in the OEM position, it has started each and every time up front without issues, quick and instant, like it used to be; cold, warm or hot, minutes or hours between cranks. I'm VERY happy!! I guess it was the cable and more importantly, just the distance factor. :confused: I have the cable, tray & kit stored away, I'll hold on to it for now but will more than likely just sell it later on. Thanks again for the help. When the tray gets here, back to enjoying driving it.

:rock:

Carl,

I know you have already moved the battery but, here is the recommended wire size that you should have used.

System
Voltage Amps < 5 Ft 5-10 Ft 10-15 Ft 15-20 Ft 20-25 Ft 25-30 Ft
12 Volt 0-60 8 AWG wire 4 AWG wire 2 AWG wire 2 AWG wire 1 AWG wire 2/0 AWG wire
12 Volt 60-100 6 AWG 4 AWG 1 AWG 0 AWG 0 AWG 2/0 AWG
12 Volt 100-150 4 AWG 2 AWG 0 AWG 2/0 AWG 2/0 AWG 3/0 AWG

kennygene said:
Carl,

I know you have already moved the battery but, here is the recommended wire size that you should have used.

System
Voltage Amps < 5 Ft 5-10 Ft 10-15 Ft 15-20 Ft 20-25 Ft 25-30 Ft
12 Volt 0-60 8 AWG wire 4 AWG wire 2 AWG wire 2 AWG wire 1 AWG wire 2/0 AWG wire
12 Volt 60-100 6 AWG 4 AWG 1 AWG 0 AWG 0 AWG 2/0 AWG
12 Volt 100-150 4 AWG 2 AWG 0 AWG 2/0 AWG 2/0 AWG 3/0 AWG
Thanks Kenny, but it's not my wire nor did I design the kit for these trucks and their length, I just used what everyone else did. :) If I made my own kit then I would have probably followed what you did so thanks all the same. To be honest, I prefer it up front after all this hassle, can't wait to get it done and dusted now. Especially having to remove the tire half a dozen times lol, made me realise how easy it is up front, pop hood, done lol.

Tony - LOL......you'd know about that cupcakes. :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back