Battery Relocation - Hesitant Start (Video)

I believe that if the battery is just weak...the distance might make a difference. It could have the power necessary for a short run, but not as much as needed for a long run...the long run will require more strength, but if the battery is just getting weaker, the length of the cables could be a factor...

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.PUT A BRAND NEW HEAVY DUTY BATTERY IN, NO CHANGE.WHAT I WOUND UP DOING IS THIS. I WOULD HIT THE START BUTTON FOR A SECOND, THEN I WOULD WAIT A SECOND OR TWO AND HIT THE START BUTTON. IT WOULD START RIGHT UP. HATE TO BAD MOUTH THE BATTERY RELOCATION SET-UP, BUT IN HIND SIGHT, WISH I DIDNT DO IT.

You can put the battery in the bed just need the correct wire size if there is an issue.

Just have to feel that if some of us have had no problems with the remote battery location package from JMB then those that are having problems ought to look at the install...does that not seem logical...if there was a problem with the package, I would think that all would have the problem...if only some have the issue...I would look beyond the package to the battery or the install, or possibly maintenance of the connections.

Its possible that different people have different battery capacities as well as batteries in different states of charge, condition, etc. The increased demand placed on it from the relocation is what is causing those " weaker " setups to falter.:)

It is also possible that the trucks aren't identical. Each starter and each engine have different characteristics. My starter will not pull the same amps as every other starter and higher mileage starters could pull more amps.
Any engine is easier to start cold which makes sense with part of the problem. The heat tends to cause the engine to bump back on the starter making it harder to crank.

I use one of these:
http://www.midtronics.com/home/products/transportation/batterytesters/EXP-800.aspx

To regularly test my batteries, starter, and alternator. I've detected failing batteries before they went dead on both my SRT and our tow rig Powerstroke. Very happy customer and they make cheaper versions; I just got a good deal on a baller one. :rock: :rock:

For batteries, I've been a huge Optima fan. They do outlive standard batteries in harsh conditions like the heat here in Phoenix. That said, I've had my eye on the Odyssey, but have found a cheaper alternative: Sear's Diehard Platinum. Look at the specs and the case - it's the same thing. Just got two of them for the Powerstroke:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850065000P?sid=comm_sears_reviews

if ur battery is holding at 12.1, then its your culprite. nominal voltatage is 12.6, plus over the 20ft or so to your starter, the battery cant supply the required amprage. your best bet is for you to use the Oddasy battery because of the higher cca's

The battery is your problem

mine does the same thing as your's carl, my battery is only 2 or 3 months old. when i first put it in i went through all the connections and they were fine so i just figured it was because i was still using the factory battery, went and got a new battery and it didn't really change anything. i put the factory 10 battery in my surburban because the one i had for it was dead and it cranks my surburban over HARD so i doubt there was anything wrong with it.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
carl this may be your problem , dotn run the neg cable all the way to the front, just a short cable from the battery to the frame, not way back up to the front:argh:
Tony, I don't run a cable all the way to the back, kind of misled yah in that post bud, that was only to test to see if it worked.

I run the short black cable supplied in the kit to the chassis. :)

Carlwalski said:
Tony, I don't run a cable all the way to the back, kind of misled yah in that post bud, that was only to test to see if it worked.

I run the short black cable supplied in the kit to the chassis. :)
Originally Posted by Carlwalski
Thanks mate, I forgot to mention we ran a full negative battery right up to the front so in terms of distance, the truck wouldn't know if it were at the front or back and still the issue of inconsistent starting hesitation. I'm not sure on the size cable we used to try it but it was bigger than Justins red cable, so, fairly big lol. Thanks for the input!

Thanks again to everyone for all the help, opinions and input, much appreciated. yeha i was confused too....but that is easy to do

kennygene said:
I just have a normal stock battery in my SRT 10 and have had no issues. My battery is in the stock location.

I have a 429 in my Ford with 10.75:1 compression starting with a 550cca NAPA battery no problems even at 15 degrees F.

Your battery should read above 13v if it is good, charged, and operating correctly.

If the battery is good (above 13v) and starter is good then your positive/negative cable is too small. You can only read voltage drop correctly when the starter is engaged. Have someone crank the truck while you check voltage at the battery and then do the same and check the voltage up front.

Do any connections get hot when you crank the truck?
Thanks mate, that is what I've been doing and stated that in the first post. :) It drops to around 9.5 volts when cranking and jumps back up to 13.9/14V once it's started, the alt is doing it's job 100%. The battery stays around 12.80 and has gone up to 13.20 off crank so it seems to be holding charge fine. Just under load it dips down IMO (as others here also said) too low.

LMAO.....yup, my bad guys, I forget what I've tried, what I'm doing sometimes lol.

JMB Justin said:
Since you sorted out the grounds, I would have to guess battery. On my personal truck I had the lead at the starter come loose and do a similar thing (erratic operation), and the ground is obviously critical. It never hurts to put a big fat aftermarket ground from frame to engine as well.

I personally think optimas are junk, ive had no luck with them on my personal vehicles, ive since switched to Odyssey and have had much better luck.

Ive used the relocate kit for 50K miles now with no issues other than the loose starter connection stated above. Many OEM applications are mounting the batteries in the back now, so cable length is not an issue if done with the proper size cable.

Justin
Thank you Justin, I'm going to make some enquiries into the Odyssey P1500 posted earlier in this thread. I've had (what could be 2) issues with the red tops now so I'm hesitant to go buy another one. Those Odyssey's look good on paper, plenty grunty. Thanks again for pitching in. :)

SANCHOBA said:
mine has that slight split second hesitation too,and i have a red top in the stock location:dontknow:
Dang, is that right? You might have other issues battery, starter? I don;t think it should be like that? :confused:

Prof said:
I believe that if the battery is just weak...the distance might make a difference. It could have the power necessary for a short run, but not as much as needed for a long run...the long run will require more strength, but if the battery is just getting weaker, the length of the cables could be a factor...
Good point and I agree with your logic. I will probably end up buying a new one, then I'll chuck the Optima in the challenger. Being a smaller engine which usually takes a few cranks anyway (even with a perfect battery) and being in the engine bay it should be fine.

Prof said:
Just have to feel that if some of us have had no problems with the remote battery location package from JMB then those that are having problems ought to look at the install...does that not seem logical...if there was a problem with the package, I would think that all would have the problem...if only some have the issue...I would look beyond the package to the battery or the install, or possibly maintenance of the connections.
Exactly, I'm not bad mouthing the kit, it's a good kit and comes with all that is needed.

FREDV said:
I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM.PUT A BRAND NEW HEAVY DUTY BATTERY IN, NO CHANGE.WHAT I WOUND UP DOING IS THIS. I WOULD HIT THE START BUTTON FOR A SECOND, THEN I WOULD WAIT A SECOND OR TWO AND HIT THE START BUTTON. IT WOULD START RIGHT UP. HATE TO BAD MOUTH THE BATTERY RELOCATION SET-UP, BUT IN HIND SIGHT, WISH I DIDNT DO IT.
Not good to hear but I still agree with Prof, there has to be a fix as others have it running without issues. ;)

ARRESTmeRed04 said:
mine does the same thing as your's carl, my battery is only 2 or 3 months old. when i first put it in i went through all the connections and they were fine so i just figured it was because i was still using the factory battery, went and got a new battery and it didn't really change anything. i put the factory 10 battery in my surburban because the one i had for it was dead and it cranks my surburban over HARD so i doubt there was anything wrong with it.
Eeek, another one, not good lol. So did you end up getting it fixed or did you just leave it as is and it's still like mine?

if ur battery is holding at 12.1, then its your culprite. nominal voltatage is 12.6, plus over the 20ft or so to your starter, the battery cant supply the required amprage. your best bet is for you to use the Oddasy battery because of the higher cca's

The battery is your problem
Thanks mate. It did go down to 12.1 but hasn't been that low for a while. I had it fully charged by a battery shop for over 24 hours, since then it has never dropped below 12.80. :)

just because a battery is showing good volts that has nothing to do with the amps its putuuing out a bad battery can hold 12.8 volts but not but shit out on a load

FSTJACK said:
I put one of Justin's battery kits in the red truck and it did exactly what yours is doing.

Finally it came back to the red top Optima and when I replaced it everything was fine.

I replaced it with another red top Optima.

Yup, I agree Dom. 9.50 is shit and far too low. I would have thought maybe 1? volt drop max upon crank.

i just left mine the way it is, its got a good battery and good connections so there isn't really anything i can do other than buy a bigger battery i guess, but this one gets the job done so i'll worry about it when it takes a dump

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back