CAI/TB

The OEM setup is a CAI as it takes air from the inner fender well that is fed from the pass side air deflector behind the grill...........................................

And you can make it look nice too.........P1010005.JPG

P1010001.JPG

I was thinking some Al. tubing and as few bends as possible and relocating the IAT to a place where it would read cooler air while locating the filter as far from hot underhood air with as few bends as possible would be ideal.

I know in the GTO's/Vettes the OTR(Over The Radiator) CAI is ideal. Looking at the engine compartment that does not seem possible with the 10. Something with as few bends that puts the IAT in a spot to read cooler air is the best solution.

A lot of "Cold Air" kits are just a smooth tube that sucks hot underhood air. Several makers do their dyno tests with the hood up and a large fan blowing air. That's not really a fair or accurate test. I forget the formula but every sharp bend(90) essentially adds X amount of feet of straight pipe to the setup. Therefore less bends is less restriction.

I have yet to see any real COLD air setup for the 10.

'Moe

Look at my pics. You cannot get any further from the engine with the space available.

About the throttle body and tune.... I purchased Tony's throttle body and got a tune. I read somewhere that it is advisable to get the thing tuned after the throttle body. Those two things definitely made a difference in my truck. I think BBK also has one for around 400 bucks, but I think the general consensus here is to stay away from that one.

The BBK TB I had was an absolute nightmare. I'll never buy a product that they produce.

I saw your pictures Sky. Looks well removed from hot engine air but to do so you have a lot of bends. A compromise I would say.

With that said I applaud your fab skills. I love to see guys making their own stuff.

What size tubing did you use?

'Moe

About the throttle body and tune.... I purchased Tony's throttle body and got a tune. I read somewhere that it is advisable to get the thing tuned after the throttle body. Those two things definitely made a difference in my truck. I think BBK also has one for around 400 bucks, but I think the general consensus here is to stay away from that one.

I have had my BBK for years. Chris Jensen fixed the issue that I was having. No problems since.

I saw your pictures Sky. Looks well removed from hot engine air but to do so you have a lot of bends. A compromise I would say.

With that said I applaud your fab skills. I love to see guys making their own stuff.

What size tubing did you use?

'Moe

2 bends. Not exactly a lot of bends.....

5" tubing :burnout:

has anyone ever changed the accordion style tube for a smooth tube and still used the stock intake box?

The accordion style intake tract causes a slowing of air and you can hear the restriction when you goose it ;)
A smooth intake tract is worth power.

Skyy, how do you change your filter. Does the truck have to be jacked up? Hawk02, I like your set up also. Just making what you have more attractive works to.

thanks, I will order from Tony ! 399$ im sold. Will this really take 3-4 weeks to get due to it being special order>?

I bought a 90% silicone tube, cupler and t bolt claps from frozenboost.com. The aluminum tube I got from jmb. I wet sanded it and polished it. It looked nice. Where's there any hp increase. No.

Skyy, how do you change your filter. Does the truck have to be jacked up? QUOTE]

Pretty much. It's a K&N filter. They get better the dirtier they get. Wont have to change that filter for years.

Well that's what I'm talking about...not looking for HP gain on this one just want to get rid of accordion.

I bought a 90% silicone tube, cupler and t bolt claps from frozenboost.com. The aluminum tube I got from jmb. I wet sanded it and polished it. It looked nice. Where's there any hp increase. No.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back