Checking Interest: Custom Alum. Battery Tray Box

And you guys thought I'd forgot about you....

I'm all about bringing joy to the holidays!

How about some pics of the 99.9% finished boxes? Okay...
- Group Shot 1
- Group Shot 2
- Inside Black 1
- Inside Black 2
- Inside White
- In Tray 1
- In Tray 2

Boxes will begin shipping as soon as I get the damn weatherstriping from the foam company.
I'll take more pics tomorrow during daylight hours of a black one installed in my truck.

Let me know what you guys think!

(BTW- I personally did all the latch riveting myself....this afternoon. Don't think I didn't get my paws dirty. :) )

Did my package make it to you? I almost forgot to tell you during the xmas present rush to the post office.

As promised, installed shots:

- Installed 1
- Installed 2

I spoke with the guys at the shop today. We have (2) silver powdercoated boxes coming. They will be ready early next week.

Still waiting on that damn foam so I can finish pricing and get these things shipped.

For a guy with only few resources, a full-time gig, and very little capital, I'd say it went pretty quickly. :D

Get this:
-The foam I need only comes per roll.
-Roll size is 52" x 125'
-Minimum order: 18 rolls.
-Total: Just under $1000

The problem is, I only need about 50'. Total. 1" wide.
See how much fun this is?

I'll have it figured out in the next 24 hours. I'm amazed that this part has taken so damn long.
It's pissing me off too. :)

The size is small enough, that a shipping company (mail boxes etc, ups type of place) may be more affordable for your supplies. or E-bay.

Good Luck

I'm a shipping guru. Don't worry about that. Ask Jack about the box and contents I just sent him. :)
And for the record: NEVER take an item to a UPS Store or FedEx/Kinkos for them to box and ship it. You will be assraped when it comes to cost. Save yourself a ton of cash, time, and hair-pulling and get an online account with UPS or FedEx (free) and print labels at home. Box up the packages yourself and drop them off. Trust me.

All the batt. boxes will ship USPS Priority.
I already have the packing materials ready...and almost all the labels printed.

I just need that damn foam.

Not sure what foam you need but when doing custom things and needing sealing type automotive type seals my local Autobody Paint Supplier has had everything I ever needed. Probably has a doz or so different types, styles and contours....all sold per ft not per truck load. Thanks again!!

Chuck B said:
Not sure what foam you need but when doing custom things and needing sealing type automotive type seals my local Autobody Paint Supplier has had everything I ever needed. Probably has a doz or so different types, styles and contours....all sold per ft not per truck load. Thanks again!!
From a prior post Kevan said he is a foam sealer guru and I am sure is going to pick the best one just by seeing all the hard work he has done so far. If he doesn't know about the products in question this will be very useful. Just my .0002 cents worth.

I recieved a big box of stuff/parts from Kevan recently and he does know how to pack things so that they will arrive in perfect condition.

Some of the parts he sent me were fabricated or modified by him and he has very high standards and does very nice professional work.

I am looking forward to getting my box to fill the useless battery tray.

Kevan said:
I'm a shipping guru. Don't worry about that. Ask Jack about the box and contents I just sent him. :)
And for the record: NEVER take an item to a UPS Store or FedEx/Kinkos for them to box and ship it. You will be assraped when it comes to cost. Save yourself a ton of cash, time, and hair-pulling and get an online account with UPS or FedEx (free) and print labels at home. Box up the packages yourself and drop them off. Trust me.

All the batt. boxes will ship USPS Priority.
I already have the packing materials ready...and almost all the labels printed.

I just need that damn foam.

What a duntz. I read the original post and thought shipping foam. That is why I said the shipping. Now I realize you were talking about the gasket material for the lid.

The boxes look nice. Are they all spoken for?

Dale

I can probably score you a black or white box, if so desired. As far as price goes, they're going to be under $100 shipped to your door. That's as close as I can get right now.
If you want one, PM me with your shipping address. I'll get you on the list and get one boxed up for ya.

I have done so much research on foam, it's not even funny. The auto parts store guys have nothin' on me. LOL You know you're getting something special when McMaster says, "We don't have anything like that.". :D
The material I'm using on the box lids is very soft, open-cell foam. It has a Shore Double-O rating of about 20-25. That's comparable to a slice of bread. It rebounds nicely to provide the latch room to release, while still giving a good seal preventing liquids and dust from coming into the box. It's certainly not air-tight or waterproof, but as long as you keep your truck out of the lake, you'll be fine. It's also temp rated, so it won't melt and make a gooey mess all over the engine compartment. It can take the heat in that kitchen. ;)

Packing of the battery boxes will be via styrofoam peanuts. Way more cost-effective than bubblewrap. I'm trying to find big thin plastic baggies for the boxes. Maybe something with kittens on them....hmmm...

Jack- That 2nd bracket that I fab'd up was done in about 10 minutes. It's pretty awful. Sorry about that. :) I'm glad you approved of the packing job. There's nothing worse than having something show up broken or damaged. Spend a few extra bucks on protecting the item and packing it right, and everyone is happy in the end.

That's so odd that you post this now, Michael. I'm at my desk dividing by 15. Kooky. The foam for the lids should be here tomorrow AM. I'm going to spend my holiday cutting foam! Woohoo! :)

I'll PM everyone in the next 24 hours with the price for their box.

If it's ok with folks, I'd like to ship these after X-mas. Not only to maintain my sanity (40 min. lines at our little post office), but also to prevent possible damage to the boxes during shipping.

Thanks for your patience everyone!

After Xmas it is. No sweat on ship date really. Time to take a break and enjoy the remainder of the year. Thanks!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back