Dan Reference Pics For Damage Rear Wheel That Fell Off.

SrtBrad said:
Dan at DC will have more info on Tuesday. The rear end doesn't seem to be locked up. The new bolts will be in Monday so they can run the engine and trans thru the gears.
glad you are ok metal can be fixed

Holy Sh^*...Glad your o-k...Didn't happen on the freeway...Your truck still looks badass BRAD...:rock: Sorry for your misfortune...:(

glad you be ok Brad.
that one bolt hole looks like was not in contact with the lug nut for a while.
one possiblity is the wheel cocked on the axle hub.
has done it a couple of times when i rotate the tires.
hate to see she is hurt, but very fixable.

Going thru all my videos I realized that I was the last one to take off my rear wheel to put on Drag Radials at the 1st Annual West Coast National GTG on Jan 20 2008 in Arizona. I was the last one to work with the rear wheels back then. The wheels have not been touched since then until the wheel feel off.

Dan at DC should have an update soon and I am very interested in his professional opinion as to the reason why this happened. I hope this is not a result of me not tightening my own lug nuts.:dontknow:

SrtBrad said:
...GTG on Jan 20 2008 in Arizona.

I am amazed...Jan. 20th?

Am I the only guy that pulls all four wheels two or three times a month to clean the wheel wells and the suspension?

Another question...isn't it common practice here to torque the lug nuts? I just thought everyone did that...maybe not...??

Prof said:
I am amazed...Jan. 20th?

Am I the only guy that pulls all four wheels two or three times a month to clean the wheel wells and the suspension?

Another question...isn't it common practice here to torque the lug nuts? I just thought everyone did that...maybe not...??

Prof I am in the property management business. I live in a building that I manage and due to the building rules that I have to enforce, I am not able to do any automotive work at all including washing my truck. This also includes simple things like taking off a wheel to clean it. I have always taken my truck to a detail shop at least once a week to get a $50 hand wash and wax which includes cleaning the whole wheel inside out.

I have had my own auto shop for many years in the past. I am fully capable to do my own work but can't due to my rules that I have to enforce. This is why DC is the only shop to work on this truck.

To torque the lug lugs is something that I probably could get away with in my building but it's something that I have just not thought to do and have simply overlooked a basic thing that everyone should do on a regular basis.

This should be a lesson at my expense that everyone should check the torque of their lug nuts on a regular basis.

I am still not sure as to what happened. All I know is that I had a loud bang followed by massive vibration ending in a wheel that was sheared right off at all the studs under deceleration at a freeway offramp in third gear going 25 mph on a straight away.

If my memory serves me right then the last time the brakes were done or serviced was prior to me going to the Arizona GTG which puts me as the last person to take off my rear wheels to put on the DR's for a few runs then putting the stock wheels back on. My AZ GTG video confirms that I had the DR's on.

This is still very confusing to me because that GTG was back in Jan of 08 and this happened last week. I have not felt any vibration from the wheels at all prior to the loud bang noise before the wheel fell off the studs. I just don't get it.:dontknow:

Wow, your living situation is tough, but I understand your position as the enforcer of the covenants...you have no other choice.

I concur in your comments about torquing the lugs. These are performance vehicles and all of us are only an impulse away from a spirited 130 plus sprint...torque on many things is vital because of our tendency to "drive it like we stole it"...

I know you are heart broken...a damaged SRT 10 is much like a family member being hurt...

You are very lucky to have DC Performance available...when I lived near Sean Roe it was like having a security blanket always available.

Hope you get it back in perfect shape very soon.

Brad....

I am interested to know if the lugs were still on the broken studs. Could the studs have just been weakened and snapped off. If the lugs came loose, you would have noticed a wobbling and a heavy unbalanced feeling I would think a bit before this. Is it also possible that someone was trying to intentionally do this to you?

TREKER said:
Brad....

I am interested to know if the lugs were still on the broken studs. Could the studs have just been weakened and snapped off. If the lugs came loose, you would have noticed a wobbling and a heavy unbalanced feeling I would think a bit before this. Is it also possible that someone was trying to intentionally do this to you?

Due the time of night after the incident happened I was only able to find 1 broken stud and the lug nut was not on it plus there was stripped threads on the threads of the stud as if the lugs were pulled right off the threads.

I agree with Dom...not your problem...get your insurance company involved, I bet they will determine it to me vandalism and an attempt at theft.

OK I am back from DC Performance. Before the update I just wanted to Thank Dan and DC Performance for being a Stand Up Business.

Here is the update:

1. The Diff and gears were A OK.
2. The Transmission was fine and has no issues.
3. The rear caliper is also fine.
4. The axle was not bent.
5. The truck is driving like nothing ever happened.

Here is what I do know:

1. The Gorilla lug nuts were purchased by VnmPwrd when the vehicle had 7,XXX miles on it. These lugs have been on this truck for 13,XXX miles.

2. The last time the rear wheels were off was on Jan 20 2008 at the AZ GTG when I put on my DR's for the track. My mileage was 11,XXX miles at that time. The rear wheel fell off at 19,5XX miles. It took over 8000 miles before the wheel fell off.

3. The last time the front brakes were done was 4000 miles ago. DC has only done the front brakes only since I've had the truck.

4. The lug nuts when comparred to the factory lugs are noticeably smaller lengths in the clamshell dimention.

Dan recommended that I change all the lug nuts to factory lugs with the proper clamshell dimention which I agreed to. The looks are not worth my life.

My final conclusion is that the lugs came loose and caused the wheel studs to shear off resulting in my outcome with the pictures listed above. I believe clamshell dimentions are not up to par with the factory dimentions and that was most likely the reason why the lugs worked themselves loose over a 8000 mile interval before the wheel fell off.

The only other possibility is someone could have loosened the lugs but that is very very unlikely IMO.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back