Does this SC sound right?

OnceBitten

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2006 Lingenfelter Corvette but I am wondering if the SC is a little "noisy" at idle:dontknow:

Owner said car has a "safe" tune and has 15 dyno pulls (608 rwhp), meth kit, cam, Billy Boat exh, 18K miles. Owner said he will take 37K for it. Car seems to run great with no noticable issues (other than VERY noisy SC). Super clean. Getting a Srt-8 Jeep to mod next. What do you guys think?

PICS

The car has 19K miles.

KGrHqUOKiEE30O70qqIBONs3GPNg_3.jpg

KGrHqMOKogE32llLPYBBONs5fo9_3.jpg

KGrHqIOKigE3y6TSVRwBONs4PG0Q_3.jpg

KGrHqUOKikE33njz0nBONs6qOYw_3.jpg

When asked about it the owner stated it is a D1SC Pro-Charger with an 8 rib pully upgrade. He also said the "noise" has always been there and the builder says it is normal. I'm just not educated enough to know if this is correct or not.

I've only owned top mount blowers so not sure if thats normal. If it is the normal sound then I would never buy one. Maybe one of the Paxton guys will chime in.

sounds like an impeller is f'd up and scraping on the housing

I have the Paxton on my truck and it don't sound like that. I would figure that the Procharger would sound like the paxton. There's a shop in Lafeyette, Louisiana that all they mess with is S/C or Twin turboed Corvettes. The name of the shop is Rajun Racing. Maybe give them a call and let they listen or watch the clip and they should be able to tell you if it sounds right.

I had a Vortech once (same type), and it definitely didn't sound like that. At idle, it should have a high pitched whistle. As mentioned, that sounds like it has a faulty impeller, or possibly a bearing gone bad.

EDIT: I have to agree as I have ran many Paxton, Procharger and Vortech centrifugal and gear driven. If not mistaken, the D1SC is gear driven so is noisier, but this cat also put a blow off valve on it that continually is dumping boost into the atmosphere especially if it is producing too much boost at idle. It would sound like a big vacuum leak. Yes it is loud and obvious it's supercharged, but it doesn't sound correct for that particular S/C. The F1 is even louder and obnoxious: with a blow off valve rock: Sometin ain't right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CfQYY0UQlE&feature=youtu.be

This D1SC sounds even worse. Leave the blow off valves for the ricers,lol!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI7Ud-TtnoA&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:
There is something seriously wrong with that. My Paxton is pretty quiet at idle and I've heard a few prochargers and vortecs they don't sound like that.

Mine is pretty quiet it has been on for 4yrs and 8600km

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-rJAbxKW4&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - ‪Supercharged Ramcharger‬‏[/ame]

take the inlet hose off, stick your head really close to it...........then rev it up to 7 k rpms listen close , to what happens next

Dang!!..scared the poop out of me when I turned the sound on..:eek:....that cant be normal......and even if it was I wouldnt want a car that sounded like that.....shame cause that is one nice lookin Vette...

Dang!!..scared the poop out of me when I turned the sound on..:eek:....that cant be normal......and even if it was I wouldnt want a car that sounded like that.....shame cause that is one nice lookin Vette...

Sorta sounds like you at the buffet huh? hahahahahhahahahhahah!

My paxton/vortech has been on my iron v-10 for almost 9 years,never sounded like that....just a tell-tale whistle

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back