Dragon's Tail

viperhauler

Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the thread for a tentative trip to drive the dragon's tail US 129.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

looking for the last weekend in march (27-29) before the bikes come out full fledged.

let's try to get this together, and see what comes of it. maybe stay here http://www.highlandmanor.com/m/index.php
maybe we could also bring a toy or something...make it not only for us, but do something for somebody else, as well. i know it's not christmas, but you guys think that has any merit?

let's bounce some ideas here, and i know it's short notice, but we'll have to see what we can do...

it's work permitting for me, but i'd like to see if there's any interrest here...

viperhauler said:
here's the thread for a tentative trip to drive the dragon's tail US 129.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

looking for the last weekend in march (27-29) before the bikes come out full fledged.

let's try to get this together, and see what comes of it.

maybe we could also bring a toy or something...make it not only for us, but do something for somebody else, as well. i know it's not christmas, but you guys think that has any merit?

let's bounce some ideas here, and i know it's short notice, but we'll have to see what we can do...

it's work permitting for me, but i'd like to see if there's any interrest here...

i might go, but only to watch;) left too many broken bones and parts on trees up there:D

viperhauler said:
i don't intend for it to be a race or anything of the sort (at least not there) just a little smokey mtn cruise...if that's possible
testosterone does not allow cruising:D

the area is absolutely beautiful:rock: :rock: you can go down to the lower side of the small dam and down on that end there is a large stream , awesome for pics:rock:

and on the other side you have the parkway and lake, sweet area there, and it leads to cades cove and pigeon forge, sweet little ride across the smokies:rock: :rock: :rock:

WILDMAN

I will be making the ride from Knoxville across the Dragon and all the way to Gatlinburg for the night on April 24. That is the weekend of the Cherrokee bike Rally. Anyone that wants to can ride along with me. I always take my time and stop to see the sites.

Wade

Stinker and I have talked (alot) about getting a group together and going to The Dragon. We both agree that testosterone/adrenaline could easily take over and put someone into a tree/ditch/on-coming-traffic.

All I ask that we actually "divide" the group up. Those that want/can tear ass through there go first, and those that want to attack it leisurely should follow.

Everyone should drive/ride the Dragon AT THEIR SKILL LEVEL. Please do no attempt to "hang" with a bike or anyone who has been on The Dragon a few times. Depending on how long we're there, we can drive it a few times so people can learn it and know what to expect.

A few years ago, I took my TA and another friend rode his GSXR (with his GF on the back) through there and he lost it. He's a damn good rider, but he ran over some loose gravel and LOST IT. They both had crushed a lung and damn near died!!! That road is in the middle of the no-where and it takes A LONG TIME to receive medical attention if anyone should need.

Damnit, just be safe! :mad: :D :)

I'm game if I'm back home by then. The area is beautiful, I'm with Stinker though. I'll hang back and take pictures.

I love the tail! To bad I no longer have my bike. The cruise in the truck would be fun though.

TOTD looks like a great ride. Go to Youtube and look for Tail of The Dragon. There are tons of videos from cars and bikes. One thing to look out for while driving it is semi trucks use it too and often have to cross the divider line to get around some of the turns. I don't know why they haven't been banned from using that road since there have been a number of wrecks because of it.

i was looking at just trucks, initially, but obviously, i can't control who shows up in whatever on a state road! i agree about the driving thing. coming from someone who rolled a z on a mountain several years ago, THAT IS BY NO MEANS MY INTENTION FOR THIS RIDE. i figured just a weekend thing that would be inexpensive, fun to do, hangout, get drunk (and not drive), bbq, whatever. i mean, it's not like there's a theme park nearby, so obviously it'd just be a mini gtg. i've always wanted to drive it, but since it's not a road i'm familiar with, i don't plan on driving like a bat outta hell, but if we stay for two days, i'm sure a second go wouldn't be bad.

how bout cut and paste a name if you think you can make it.

Dan (and wife, maybe) (work permitting)
Labonte (work permitting)
FATJACK

Last edited:
I went up and down the TOTD about 5 times about 3 years ago on a 600rr, that road is insane!! Lots of great riding in that area, we stayed in Gatlinburg.. someday ill make it back there.

it sounds great to me to! i'll just cruise it. take some vid and pics at the photo ops.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back