emissions, am I screwed?

I've never had to do a drive cycle for my truck after taking out battery. I actually had to get my emissions done in March, and my battery was out of the truck for a couple months prior. All I did was drive it for a few miles the day before, then to emissions place which is only a couple miles away and it passed. When I got the sheet back I noticed it said "Not Ready" for a couple of the tests. Can't remember which ones.

update today.
Shop says it's giving them more trouble than anything that they've ever had to work on.
They've resorted to just driving it. Owners been driving it to and from work, and they've been using it for shop errands. Still no change. Wtf? This sucks so bad.
They think it may need up to 1000 miles to set.

update today.
Shop says it's giving them more trouble than anything that they've ever had to work on.
They've resorted to just driving it. Owners been driving it to and from work, and they've been using it for shop errands. Still no change. Wtf? This sucks so bad.
They think it may need up to 1000 miles to set.

In other words, they have no idea what the problem is. Leaving it with them isn't going to get this fixed, IMO. You need to find a shop that has dealt with this before.

I texted mark asking about the place.

I'm just blown away...I know emissions are a pain in the ass but how the hell is it that everyone acts like its some kind of dark art trouble shooting this? (Not you guys, the shops) if I pulled shit like taking over a month to to fix a piece of gear at my job id be looking for a new job.

Last edited:
i think the owner of the shop just likes driving your truck around for free

you need to contact the regulatory office up there for emissions and tell them your shop can't figure out whats going on, maybe they can look into the practices of the shop or there have been other complaints

i think they are just joy riding the truck around, there is no way a dealer would take the time to drive a vehicle 500-1000 miles to just reset the O2's

O2 sensors

I had the same problem on one of my dodges... freaking drove me nuts and could not get it to pass. Finally i traced all of the wires/harness from the O2 sensors to the PCM and found one wire that i assume a mouse chewed thru. I fixed that and drove it thru a cycle and Bam - fixed.

After reading the above - i would suggest that a very careful look at the harness is in order.

If you know exactly which O2 sensor it is that is immediately failing, a search thru the FSM can tell you which circuit/wires/etc. to test.

Oh - what are the exact codes it is throwing (other than not ready)?

Last edited:
maybe you need the timing retarded some this will increase the exhaust temps you can make the pipes glow red with enuff timing removed that should make the exhaust cleaner, maybe you need to ohm the wires going to the sensors ?

i think i suggested this a while back about ohming the wires

Ok, spoke with the owner today. He said they've ohmed all the wiring, inspected the connections, ran tests on the systems, proved that the evap pressure is good enough to pass, proved that the o2 heater circuit works, and cant seem to find any reason it shouldn't clear for ready status. He said the only things left he can think of are either 1) a bug with the ecm that has been seen on vipers that makes it take 1000+ miles to set, or 2) an issue with thw ecm. He said the ecm is stock, not a mopar performance replacement model.
I contacted torrie and got the stock tune from him. I sent it over and theyre going to try putting it in on the off chance that it has a tune loaded from when I purchased it.

So heres an update.

Picked up the truck today, two months at the shop and no fix.
They pulled the truck up and it was freaking trashed!
I dropped the truck off spotless, show condition, and they handed it back completely filthy, covered in bugs and tar, trashed interior, enough dust on the dash to write your name. Like they were blasting down dirt roads with the windows open.
Engine bay is all jacked up too. Wheels are brown, caked in brake dust and shit.
I was freaking pissed. The manager actually asked me what was wrong too!

I said what the hell? Its freaking wrecked! And he just snuck off and went back into the building as soon as I turned back around.

I thought I was gonna kill someone. They had my truck 2 months, didnt fix it, acted like they did me a favor by leaving in new o2 sensors it didnt need, took my money, and handed me back a fucked up truck.

My wife made me leave. I don't get mad like that often and watch the fuck out when I do.

Im sure if it was an audi or a lambo it would've been washed and detailed, but yeah fuck this...just a POS dodge why bother washing it.

Wow! That's fucked up! Had the same thing happen to me years ago.
We have IM testing in PA. It's a total $$$ racket

This just aint right. Ya need to call out this dealer on here.
Document everything you can and report this at least to the BBB.
Personally I wouldnt leave my truck anywhere.
As far as emissions go, tune your truck yourself with a stock tune and go with a reputable dealer. Maybe someone can chime in with one close to you.
Good luck.

Well I talked to one of the owners and they sided with me.
Said the truck was being driven to try and set the monitors, and the dust was from being stored inside the shop.
They also agreed that the truck should NEVER have been returned without being cleaned, and that the manager was at fault for neglecting to do so. They apologized and offered me a free detailing or oil change (which I declined), and in the end the owner stopped by my house to deliver a thank you card with a generic gift card for fuel or a wash for wherever I wanted to take it. They also added that they would be happy to help the next shop trouble shoot the problem over the phone.

I'm still upset about the truck, but they tried to rectify the situation, and honestly, I've never had ANY place go to these kinds of lengths to try and make things right.

Dropped the truck off at the dealership for appointment today.
30 minutes later I got a call from them.

They said they were able to force the evap, but there was erratic voltage on the downstream o2's. Since the o2's test first it wouldn't allow evap to set.

They said it's likely a wiring or ground issue with tbe downstream o2's, or possibly a pcm issue.
They're going to let me know soon.

Wow after just 30 min too...said that they have their SRT guy working on it and he's seen it before, but holy crap not even an hour into it and they actually have a clue.

Guess the dealer isn't so bad sometimes.

...and the dealer called.

Said wiring looks good. They're afraid its the PCM.
They've contacted detroit with the issue and are checking on replacements (which I'm sure are still discontinued)

So Andy, it looks like he has an 05 RC. If he can find a PCM from another matching truck can they reflash it and VIN it for his truck?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back