emissions, am I screwed?

I know you are extremely knowledgeable about this stuff so I don't mean to second guess you, but MA has really strict emissions and some how my truck passed with Headers, hi-flo's, no rear cats, 3" exhaust, Torrie's tune, U.D. pulley, JTSVP T.B., and 170* therm. Maybe I was just lucky???

That answer is easy. MA is a state that *actually* tests emissions output, and not plug-in monitors. Secondly, based on your mod list you still have SOME catalytic converters, and all of your O2 sensors are in place. Provided you aren't triggering CEL's being either programmed out or just a well built package, the other mods dont really impact emissions controls enough to matter.

That truck would pass both an analyzer test or a monitor test based on its setup.

That answer is easy. MA is a state that *actually* tests emissions output, and not plug-in monitors. Secondly, based on your mod list you still have SOME catalytic converters, and all of your O2 sensors are in place. Provided you aren't triggering CEL's being either programmed out or just a well built package, the other mods dont really impact emissions controls enough to matter.

That truck would pass both an analyzer test or a monitor test based on its setup.

Ooooh! Dan I sent you a LinkedIn invite a while back. I found your website (Very nice). Do you get into any NA builds or just FI? -Jeremy-

To carry on with previous post, so MA doesn't do a sniffer in the tailpipe anymore if that's what I'm understanding. They just plug in under the dash to pull their readings. My tune also shut off my rear two sensors, and I went in with that 93 octane tune still in. I hope this makes sense, if I'm understanding you correctly...?

Ooooh! Dan I sent you a LinkedIn invite a while back. I found your website (Very nice). Do you get into any NA builds or just FI? -Jeremy-

What's happening, homie?

There is a video floating around of a Gen 4 conversion that Dan did that was sick (N/A too).

What's happening, homie?

There is a video floating around of a Gen 4 conversion that Dan did that was sick (N/A too).

What is going on my Brother? I know it would be impossible (near impossible anyway) to find a Gen 5 motor and do a conversion. That would be badass. Although it would probably be easier and cheaper to go with one of Dan's short blocks and go from there.

What is going on my Brother? I know it would be impossible (near impossible anyway) to find a Gen 5 motor and do a conversion. That would be badass. Although it would probably be easier and cheaper to go with one of Dan's short blocks and go from there.

The conversion I saw included Gen 4 heads on a Gen III short block. :burnout:

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think evap is gonna happen. From what I've been told it needs to be over 40 degrees ambient for it to run, so I was counting on heated o2. I only need 1 more to come to ready and I can go to test without being rejected.

See post #11

Do it, that will work. Driving 100 miles at 55 ONCE will not work.

See post #11

Do it, that will work. Driving 100 miles at 55 ONCE will not work.

Thanks for the response man, so far done about 3 of the cycles.
This is the procedure ive been following:

Start truck after full cooldown (overnight). Warm up for about 5 min with rear defroster (mirrors I guess) on, ac on (fan on max).
Shut off ac/defroster. Drive truck normally to outside of town, accelerate at 1/2 throttle to 55 mph. Set cruise and drive for 5 min. Decelerate without touching brake or clutch to 20mph, then accelerate at 3/4 throttle to 55 mph. Set cruise and maintain for about 8 min. Decelerate to stop without touching brake or clutch.

Normally I try ti do the accel, decel, and stops a couple times during the run, then drive it back to the house.
Also this is done with about a 1/2 tank of gas since I reas that below a 1/4 or above 3/4 may not allow test to run.

One thing though, with the ac, should I be turning it off or leave it on? Tried both, doesnt seem like much difference.

I'll keep trying though, running out of time here. But at least shes shifting right again :)

You MUST have fuel tank above 1/2 and not above 3/4.

A/C may not matter, its about putting a full load on electrical when O2 heating is occurring. I would at least run all lighting, blower, audio etc.

Good luck Sir.

We do both, but all NA builds at this point are Gen-4/5 based. Gen-2/3 heads and port work are just not worth the headache.

To carry on with previous post, so MA doesn't do a sniffer in the tailpipe anymore if that's what I'm understanding. They just plug in under the dash to pull their readings. My tune also shut off my rear two sensors, and I went in with that 93 octane tune still in. I hope this makes sense, if I'm understanding you correctly...?

Nope, MA is sniffer, not plug in. It is not possible to pass plug-in with rear O2's turned off if monitors are being tested. However, it *IS* possible to pass a sniffer with them off.

We are building a VS-1500 Gen-3 block, Gen-4 Oil/Pan/Cover, Gen-5 upper package, Pectel SQ6M12 controlled crate engine setup right now for a '68 Charger Twin Turbo Resto-Mod... anything is possible!

The conversion I saw included Gen 4 heads on a Gen III short block. :burnout:

This one probably:

tn04_3.jpg

Thought id bump this thread one more time. Have 2 days to get the truck to pass emissions, still won't go ready on heated o2 and evap. No codes, but can't test due to not ready status.

Tried umpteen drive cycles, swapped o2 sensors, no luck, dealership tried hooking up the drb3, but couldnt do squat. finally took it to a shop out here that works on these trucks probably more than anyone else out here (work on chaynick and viperchamp's rides and a few others), and they've had it for over 2 weeks and are still scratching their heads.

Just hoping someone here might have some insight on this one.

Thought id bump this thread one more time. Have 2 days to get the truck to pass emissions, still won't go ready on heated o2 and evap. No codes, but can't test due to not ready status.

Tried umpteen drive cycles, swapped o2 sensors, no luck, dealership tried hooking up the drb3, but couldnt do squat. finally took it to a shop out here that works on these trucks probably more than anyone else out here (work on chaynick and viperchamp's rides and a few others), and they've had it for over 2 weeks and are still scratching their heads.

Just hoping someone here might have some insight on this one.

Might seem like a dumb question but while driving have always had the a/c on? The ready monitors wont switch if you keep it on. I say this because every year my uncle pulls the mopar performance pcm out of his viper and runs the stock one to get it inspected and we found that information in the service manual. He had driven his 500+ miles and it still said "not ready", 10 miles with the a/c off and it switched.

Last edited:
don't know what the shop is doing, but I was following drive cycle and shutting down a/c and defroster after a couple of minutes.

Torrie seems to think its some sort of physical issue, not tune related.

I loaded factory tune (whatever was loaded when I bought the truck) last October, I'm concerned it may have had a sct tune loaded before I bought it and thats the issue. Anyone think that could cause this?

don't know what the shop is doing, but I was following drive cycle and shutting down a/c and defroster after a couple of minutes.

Torrie seems to think its some sort of physical issue, not tune related.

I loaded factory tune (whatever was loaded when I bought the truck) last October, I'm concerned it may have had a sct tune loaded before I bought it and thats the issue. Anyone think that could cause this?

Well I was going to suggest loading your stock tune before it was tuned, but if your saying it is a possibility that it might have already been tuned when you bought it then I dont know what to say anymore.

Truck is back to all factory with the exception of a K&N CAI right now too. Has all 4 cats and o2 sensors etc.
none of this makes sense

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back