Engine Build cost

ahh.. well I hope to not bust budget.. Umm Classic Jaguar has a torque plate for the engine. They do many of American Racing Technology's engines. ART recommended them. They do world class engine builds. 12-16 hundy for machine work.

Do you homework.......

I have 35K+ in each one of my motors, I tend to take things to the far end of extreme.......;););)

You can go with a Paxton and get about 600-625 with a SAFE tune from a reputable tuner on a stock motor most of the time.

If you play stop light gran-prix all the time you had better forge the motor from the start.

Some of these motors seem to live better than others. The tune is the most important part of any building or modification process.

Get a game plan worked out and stick with it. ( I am the worlds worst at not doing this and I always seem to get carried away.) If you do not have a plan that is reasonable you will spend too much money and or waste money with redoing and correcting mistakes. Decide what you really want out of the truck when you are finished. Talk to knowledgeable people and listen to them. A Viper engine is very touchy with regard to what has to be done to make them live at different power levels. They are not like a SBC or BBC that almost anybody can build with impunity.
Many people think they know about how a Viper motor needs to be built and there are very few that can turn out a reliable product.

Knowledge is the key to a successful Viper truck project. There are a few that don't post much that have a good bit of knowledge about a Viper truck. And the reason that they don't talk much is they have gone to school and done their homework and they know what works and what doesn't work. They are usually overshadowed by some that think you can slap a few parts on without all the critical knowledge of how they work. A Viper motor is different in the clearances that have to be set up and what works on a SBC doesn't work with a Viper motor. Vipers are very unique. I know some will say that a motor is a motor period. This is and is not true, Viper motors are really different in the set up. You need a machine shop that is not just good but very good and understands the Viper motor to start with. You need the "right" parts combination to accomplish what you want to end up with. All the parts have to compliment one another to make the thing live and make power.

And last if all remember FSTJACKs rule of builds;

A ) I takes twice as much money as you had planned on.

B ) It takes 3-4 times as long as you planned on time wise to get it done.

Good luck to you and enjoy you truck.....:rock::rock::rock:

McLuvin said:
ahh.. well I hope to not bust budget.. Umm Classic Jaguar has a torque plate for the engine. They do many of American Racing Technology's engines. ART recommended them. They do world class engine builds. 12-16 hundy for machine work.
http://www.clasicjeguar.com/177.html :rock: :rock: :itsme:

Thanks very much for that. I will do a little more homework. I think I'll call back down to ART and ask some more questions. The actual guy I talked to at the machine shop has built alot of higher power engines. Not sure if any or many of them are vipers. He did say alot of vipers motors come through the shop. Dunno, if they have a "viper guy" or not. I will talk to ART about that. I am looking for a 750whp or so. Im not probably gonna be to brutal on it. Maybe an occasional Z06 :) I have plenty of time solely because I am paying for it as I go and I dont have a bunch if money. Fortunatly the block only has 7500 miles on it and shouldnt need a bunch of extra machining.
Im only replacing pistons, rings, rods, bearings, gastkets.. ect. Not doing a cam, or any headwork. Just beefing up the bottom end (and fuel system) to get a few extra pounds of boost.

Went by to talk to the builder. He had 2 other viper blocks inline for the bore/hone. No turning back now. Bell housing bolts are out, electrical is free, torque converter is free. Just gutta put a hoist in there and give a good tug..:argh:

:dontknow: Looks kinda sloppy in the pic. Who left the those wires such a mess;) Oh and any advice on where to get some caps for the open ports. I bought vaccum caps at oriellys and they are cracking and look dry rotten in a day!!!
P3300748.jpg
P3310751.jpg

Last edited:
Did you pull the motor yourself? Did you ship the engine? I attached my estimate from the builder. Just curious. I really kinda think I am getting a deal here seems like the shop is slow.. Along with the rest of the country
L Engine Rebuild Labor - BLOCK: Wash, inspect, measure
main housings, check deck for straightness, measure cyl
bores for piston sizing, torque plate hone, set ring gaps,
hang pistons and rods.
667.00 667.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - ORIGINAL CRANK: Inspect
and measure crank (unknown commodity at time of
preparing estimate). Machine crank nose for balancer.
Balance rotating assembly. Micro polish journals.
NOTE: THIS IS BEST CASE SCENARIO WITH
ORIGINAL CRANK
368.00 368.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - BLUEPRINT: Check and set
clearances, mains, thrust, rods, pin to piston, etc.
230.00 230.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
MACHINE WORK: Surface cyl head decks, surface
block decks, leak check valve job, inspect and replace
valve seals. Corner short block mock-up to check rod
side clearance, piston deck height, etc.
115.00 115.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL
WORK AFTER INSPECTION: Align hone mains
350.00 350.00

I dropped the truck off, they tore it down and shipped to their machine shop, and I picked it up when everything was put together and tuned. They did everything... including some extra custom stuff. I could have saved some money for sure, but this was just so much easier.

Last edited:
Do you know who actually did the build? Did they ship the engine or might it have been loca'l?

11k for a full build and tune doesnt sound bad...what kinda build and "custom" stuff did you get?

Troy's QC SRT said:
11k for a full build and tune doesnt sound bad...what kinda build and "custom" stuff did you get?

I wasn't going for huge power... just a Roe with 10psi, and I was on a budget so it was just a basic rods/pistons build. JE pistons, K1 rods, balanced and coated and honed and some other shit I don't really understand:D They keyed the crank, added an ATI balancer, custom made bypass cooler, additional in-tank fuel pump. The 11k included all labor, removing and reinstalling the motor, shipping the motor, storing the truck... everything. Also came back with a 3 year 36k mile warranty on the motor, and you can't put a price on peace of mind.

ART is great man. I was half way across the country during the build, and they really worked with me. They'll definitely stand by you if you have any issues too... just ask Wade.:)

LoveThisTruck said:
I wasn't going for huge power... just a Roe with 10psi, and I was on a budget so it was just a basic rods/pistons build. JE pistons, K1 rods, balanced and coated and honed and some other shit I don't really understand:D They keyed the crank, added an ATI balancer, custom made bypass cooler, additional in-tank fuel pump. The 11k included all labor, removing and reinstalling the motor, shipping the motor, storing the truck... everything. Also came back with a 3 year 36k mile warranty on the motor, and you can't put a price on peace of mind.

ART is great man. I was half way across the country during the build, and they really worked with me. They'll definitely stand by you if you have any issues too... just ask Wade.:)
Now that is a deal for sure:congrats: , the warranty alone is priceless.
Who else offers a warranty:dontknow:

McLuvin said:
Did you pull the motor yourself? Did you ship the engine? I attached my estimate from the builder. Just curious. I really kinda think I am getting a deal here seems like the shop is slow.. Along with the rest of the country
L Engine Rebuild Labor - BLOCK: Wash, inspect, measure
main housings, check deck for straightness, measure cyl
bores for piston sizing, torque plate hone, set ring gaps,
hang pistons and rods.
667.00 667.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - ORIGINAL CRANK: Inspect
and measure crank (unknown commodity at time of
preparing estimate). Machine crank nose for balancer.
Balance rotating assembly. Micro polish journals.
NOTE: THIS IS BEST CASE SCENARIO WITH
ORIGINAL CRANK
368.00 368.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - BLUEPRINT: Check and set
clearances, mains, thrust, rods, pin to piston, etc.
230.00 230.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
MACHINE WORK: Surface cyl head decks, surface
block decks, leak check valve job, inspect and replace
valve seals. Corner short block mock-up to check rod
side clearance, piston deck height, etc.
115.00 115.00
Engine L Engine Rebuild Labor - POSSIBLE ADDITIONAL
WORK AFTER INSPECTION: Align hone mains
350.00 350.00
Sounds like a real deal :rock: nothing better than saving $$$$$

Wifey said:
Now that is a deal for sure:congrats: , the warranty alone is priceless.
Who else offers a warranty:dontknow:

It's the only one I've heard of:dontknow:

LoveThisTruck said:
It's the only one I've heard of:dontknow:
And to think a sand rat would find it , go figure ;) ;)

LoveThisTruck said:

Sounds like a great deal, your at Erwin so i'm assuming your military...With me being military also this sounds like a real good deal since i don't always have the time to work on my truck that heavily as in pulling the motor and shipping it off....I'm going to send you a pm so i don't hijack this thread....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back