engine oil cooler lines

ZCx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
howdy ya'll,
had an engine oil cooler line bust on me last night. guess i was lucky. looks like it let loose just a bit before i stopped for gas. blew out 4 qts. of oil in a short time. what a friggin mess. had the "normal" seeps is all.
called a wrecker & got back to the shop. dam truck even looked good on the wrecker, roll back wrecker. got the lines off and replaced the hoses with some Strat-o-flex and got her runnin. i can not believe the total yard bird caca setup that dodge put our trucks. i don't know if dodge "up dated" the replacement hoses or not. it looks like they used reg. old heater hose. ordered hose & fittins to do the job correctly as soon as i got back to the house. real purdy red & blue fittins & that fancy stainless steel hose.
so please check or REPLACE ya'll's oil cooler lines.
question? do ya'll guys with all that work & money in the big horse engines use the stock lines??? that would be one hell of a gamble over a 2 bit hose.

ZCx:rock:

guess i need to start carrin a camera with me

ZCx said:
howdy ya'll,
had an engine oil cooler line bust on me last night. guess i was lucky. looks like it let loose just a bit before i stopped for gas. blew out 4 qts. of oil in a short time. what a friggin mess. had the "normal" seeps is all.
called a wrecker & got back to the shop. dam truck even looked good on the wrecker, roll back wrecker. got the lines off and replaced the hoses with some Strat-o-flex and got her runnin. i can not believe the total yard bird caca setup that dodge put our trucks. i don't know if dodge "up dated" the replacement hoses or not. it looks like they used reg. old heater hose. ordered hose & fittins to do the job correctly as soon as i got back to the house. real purdy red & blue fittins & that fancy stainless steel hose.
so please check or REPLACE ya'll's oil cooler lines.
question? do ya'll guys with all that work & money in the big horse engines use the stock lines??? that would be one hell of a gamble over a 2 bit hose.

ZCx:rock:

agreed,:rock: as soon as I get a slow spot I gots an idea for an aftermarket cooler set up and braided lines;)

Had the same problem myself keep an eye on your engines internal pressure and an eye on your engine heat. If it jumps ten deg higher than normal you might want to take it in.

I just got two replacement lines,both of mine are dripping on inner fender, I only have about 15K miles on them,Has this been a normal thing with these lines leaking?

I already converted mine to AN lines....to and from a real oil cooler. Dodge used those type lines for assembly preferences only not for long term, no leaky or problems. :dontknow: I also converted the HP line for the steering pump as well. Dodge uses the same type connection at the steering pump. Because of the tight fit I pulled an old steering pump inlet (Any Saginaw brand will work) then welded a male AN fitting to it. Easy upgrade and now drive comfortably knowing those quick disconnects that Dodge uses will never bother me again.

BTW....the factory 'oil cooler' is actually not a cooler but rather a heat exchanger for oil & coolant.

Last edited:
good info. i believe ya on the not a long term part. dam bean counters. will be gettin my stuff from earl's. they have some very nice coolers. get this done & put that on the to do list when i take the a/c off.

ZCx

wonder how many engines dodge has had to replace because of those lines???

Last edited:
ZCx said:
wonder how many engines dodge has had to replace because of those lines???

I doubt very many. Those connections are prone to leaking not total failure as you experienced. I know my local dealers mechanic doesn't mind when he gets these types of service repair requests in....they get paid something like 1hr and only takes about 15 min if he's still in the middle of his morning coffee break.

For others info you do not need to replace the line itself but the end fitting if yours leaks and you want to continue with factory setup. The fitting contains the single O-Ring that seals. These retail for just over $5 from Dodge. In my experience with 3 local Dodge dealers both the Service Writer and Parts Person will tell you you need to replace the whole setup. Not true. Also, no special tools required as others have previously mentioned here (at least for the oil cooler/Exchanger.

I guess I should add one more bit of info. ON the power steering pump the service manual specifically states that you should not remove the inner adaptor of the High Pressure line. Its the portion that actually threads into the power steering pump. Service manual states that bad things will happen and replacement of the power steering pump will most likely be required.....not true. The hose coupler fitting threads into this inner coupler and the service manual states to remove that outer coupler to disconnect the line from the pump only. The fitting that screw into the pump is what I replaced with older version of Saginaw pump. The older version gave me more flange area for welding. Again, removing this inner adaptor fitting will not result in bad things. Hope this helps.....

again good info. but the hose itself is what failed at the driest crimp on top of that. not the quick connects, they were dry. i still swear that they used heater hose. i removed the crimps & hose. replaced the hose & reinstalled, temp fix.

My truck in the shop right now for a cracked dip stick tube, What a mess that made since it was split at the base. But not as much a mess as two weeks ago when one of these cooling lines you guys are talking about split on me. I've gone through like 10 quarts of oil in two to three weeks. I hope this settles things on oil. Or I'll do what some of you other guys did and go high pressure braided.

Had my truck a year, is this a frquent occurance?

Hope Not ............ Jim

best way to put it is, it is NOT uncommon occurrence for sure.:toilet:
besides blingin out the engine bay abit. a great piece of mind.:rock: :rock: :rock:

Last edited:
Hurry Stinker! We need a full set of oil lines with AN connectors and steel braided lines.

Yeah,mine were leaking at the crimped end of the fitting also,The only good thing is the lines are actually very reasonable priced I thought.

My oil lines Started to seep last week and today they are leaking pretty bad. Made an appointment to the dealer on Monday (warranty). I think the low temps, 17 degree mornings, caused high oil pressure, which must of aggravated the problem. A weak link I think!

AN fittins & stainless steel hose came in today. went with Earl's stuff. made up & installed this evenin. came out pretty good. looks like what should have come from the factory. oh the extra 4 bits to screw on & tighten 4 hose ends.:rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back