Engine Swap

kyle's srt10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make sure an 05' engine to an 04' truck would work?:dontknow: I have 04' intake and valve covers so I have that part taken care of. The big kicker is the crank position sensor. It's in the back of the block on an 04' and the dead middle on an 05'. Now, the sensors plug is different between the two engines BUT they are both 3 wire sensors and I have the harness off the 05' engine:D So can I just cut the 05' sensor off and hard wire it to my 04' harness? My mechanic says I can do that but I may have to get an 05' PCM so he can reprogram it:dontknow:

Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm trying to get my truck running this week while I'm off work:rock:

kyle's srt10 said:
I wanted to make sure an 05' engine to an 04' truck would work?:dontknow: I have 04' intake and valve covers so I have that part taken care of. The big kicker is the crank position sensor. It's in the back of the block on an 04' and the dead middle on an 05'. Now, the sensors plug is different between the two engines BUT they are both 3 wire sensors and I have the harness off the 05' engine:D So can I just cut the 05' sensor off and hard wire it to my 04' harness? My mechanic says I can do that but I may have to get an 05' PCM so he can reprogram it:dontknow:

Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm trying to get my truck running this week while I'm off work:rock:
If your making the harness fit to the 04 why would you need an 05 pcm if in theory that is the only differance then you should still be good, doing the same job just in a different spot.? I would think:p

DevilDawg3097 said:
If your making the harness fit to the 04 why would you need an 05 pcm if in theory that is the only differance then you should still be good, doing the same job just in a different spot.? I would think:p

That's what he was thinking. He did say worse case I would need an 05' PCM and he would have to program it to my truck:dontknow:

Hope to have it running by wednesday:rock: Getting a stereo put in friday:D

really depends if its the same kind of signal.

'04 might be a 12 tooth ring compared to a possibile 16 tooth on an '05.

just a possibility to check out

ZCx said:
really depends if its the same kind of signal.

'04 might be a 12 tooth ring compared to a possibile 16 tooth on an '05.

just a possibility to check out

EXACTLY!

He said if this was so it wouldn't start because the motor wouldn't read top dead center.

The crank on the 05' has 3 notches on it I think. I don't have my 04' motor anymore so I don't know about it.

Glad to here your getting some time off, havnt seen you on much in a while. Good luck with everything, and well need alot of pics onceyou getter going!:rock:

FerrariTruck said:
different flywheel for 04 and 05 truck my friend

I'm talking about the crank position sensor;) It's in a different location between the year models.

kyle's srt10 said:
EXACTLY!

He said if this was so it wouldn't start because the motor wouldn't read top dead center.

The crank on the 05' has 3 notches on it I think. I don't have my 04' motor anymore so I don't know about it.

then it might take the same year ECM for that year engine:dontknow: :dontknow:

ZCx said:
then it might take the same year ECM for that year engine:dontknow: :dontknow:

Yep, that's what he's thinking. Which isn't a big deal if that's what I have to do:D

kyle's srt10 said:
Yep, that's what he's thinking. Which isn't a big deal if that's what I have to do:D

plus if i remember the "04s did not have knock sensors & '05s do.

if that matters:dontknow:

you will need an 05 pcm cause the 04 does not have a knock sensor ,,,the 05 does ,,,just my 2 cents worth

I don't think the bellhousings are the same. Call Donato Engineering and talk to him. He sold me the adapter for my TH400 and knows all of the ins and outs of what changed on the blocks from year to year. He'll be able to answer all of your questions.

Scrambler1 said:
I don't think the bellhousings are the same. Call Donato Engineering and talk to him. He sold me the adapter for my TH400 and knows all of the ins and outs of what changed on the blocks from year to year. He'll be able to answer all of your questions.

Bellhousings should be the same on the RC's. They are different on the QC's I know.

bellhousings are the same for RC's

04 no knock
05 knock

crang trigger off the flywheel on both.

if you use the knock sensor , you need an 05 pcm and wiring.

Stinker said:
bellhousings are the same for RC's

04 no knock
05 knock

crang trigger off the flywheel on both.

if you use the knock sensor , you need an 05 pcm and wiring.

The block on the 05' that I have doesn't have to hole for the crank trigger:dontknow: I can drill it and put the sesnor from my 04' there right?:confused: I'll get some pictures;)

Back