FIRE CAUSED BY OIL COOLER LINES

supercar1of1 said:

The flash point for synthetic oil is well over 400F. How could this happen?

Great point! Of course I'm no profesional insurance adjuster or fire expert, but this is exactly what Chrysler is gonna come back with and they will have a good point. Something down there had to spark this and I don't know what could.

fyi, my oil cooler lines were leaking at 11k miles and replaced under warranty.

I had a car catch fire shortly after I arrived home, but luckily I had to go back out and was able to put the fire out before much damage was done.

This turned out to be an electrical issue though, not an oil issue.

I just don't see how under any circumstance the oil could have caused this,
especially since there have been cases of fuel lines failing and spraying fuel all over a hot engine without catching fire.

I will try to get the guy to post up on here but im assuming his lawyer is telling him not to comment. :dontknow:

supercar1of1 said:

I had a car catch fire shortly after I arrived home, but luckily I had to go back out and was able to put the fire out before much damage was done.

This turned out to be an electrical issue though, not an oil issue.

I just don't see how under any circumstance the oil could have caused this,
especially since there have been cases of fuel lines failing and spraying fuel all over a hot engine without catching fire.

strange things happen.

supercar1of1 said:

Taking into consideration the location of the oil lines, what would any leaking oil come into contact with that would be hot enough to cause synthetic oil to reach its flash point?:dontknow:

On another vehicle It leaked oil from the valve cover straight onto the header without flashing, but on our trucks this would not happen because the lines are below the exhaust even if they were hot enough.:confused: Something about this doesn't make sense.:hmmmm2:
My thoughts exactly, there has to be something were missing here. No way a fire that big was caused by a seeping oil line. Just my .02

From what I have heard here many have changed the lines with aftermarket one's.Mine are seeping at 18K now.I think dodge should address the issue instead of replacing them with identical parts.But a fire after parking the truck without smelling the oil on the exhaust manifolds or the rotors ?
Thank god no one was injured.
Where is the steering column...

I changed oil exchanger lines as well as power steering HP line years ago once I took the factory lines apart and realized what garbage they are....great if you are the one on the assembly line having to connect them but sucks for the end user. btw...its the high pressure side of the Power Steering pump connection is same design. I believe stinker is working on a kit for that one.

As for causing a fire....I've help 2 others replace their lines and the oil ends up in a couple places. If engine side of the fittings are leaking the common area is the right side steering rack (rubber boot) will get soaked. From there it drips straight down. If the exchanger side leaks it will hit the bottom air dam on the front facia, gets wet along the front of the wheel fenders and from there drips down to the ground.

On one particular truck I helped his had been leaking for a long time. Oil ended up on the midpipe (not near the cats), the front of the stock muffler and along the bottom, front of the rear diff and a fine misting along the fuel tank heat shields. Again, his had been leaking for a while and the least amount of oil of all the places it covered was the mid pipe (right side).

Possible he experience a major failure just prior which splattered enough oil on the midpipe to cause a fire but I think even that is a long shot.

A friend works for Phx fire and he's commented many times if they get a call for garage fire 9 out of 10 times there's a ford F150 parked inside....:dontknow:

a spark is actually needed to ignite gas or fuel

oil fires are actually common on motors when they hit the manifolds or headers.

I actually had one on a duc in a race one time, the oil cooler , got hit by a rock , leaked on the front header and ignited, was real pretty for about two laps unitl it got to my legs and I figured out what was going on:argh:

but I have had fuel leaks, and they have never ignited.

anything could have happened, either way, I am glad he wasnt hurt

Chuck B said:
A friend works for Phx fire and he's commented many times if they get a call for garage fire 9 out of 10 times there's a ford F150 parked inside....:dontknow:

Yep! I was a fireman for 10 years before getting hired as a LEO, and i've seen a bunch of F150 burn up inside garages...

As for the oil lines, i think it is possible for a fire to start if oil made its way onto the midpipes, either by prolonged leakage, or a major failure just prior to parking the truck.

FastSRT19 said:
Yep! I was a fireman for 10 years before getting hired as a LEO, and i've seen a bunch of F150 burn up inside garages...

As for the oil lines, i think it is possible for a fire to start if oil made its way onto the midpipes, either by prolonged leakage, or a major failure just prior to parking the truck.

Yeah he jokes that its so common that they take bets what color F150 burned... If I recall he said its the cruise control as the source.

I got lucky. I had an oil leak. I thought it was the drain plug or rear main seal. This was after only 20K miles. Come to find out it was the oil cooler lines. It took three visits to Dodge to get them to change them out. I couldnt believe i actuall had to bitch about them.

Then check this out. As its in the shop one of their $10 an hour guys cleans out the bays with a steam cleaning power washer. My truck is still in the bay. Guess what. Totally oiled down with all the crap on the floor steam cleaned onto the truck.

THEN

They had the balls to return it to me like that. I freaked. I lost it. I dropped F-bomb after F-bomb. Asked to speak to the owner. They tried to clean. STILL looked like shit.

Believe it or not I actually called the cops. I had a witness there and we took cell photos. Cop wrote up a claim. I submitted it to thier and my inurance. My insurance company went after them.

Long story short i got full detail including buff, ext/int clean, engine steam cleaned, new floor mats, and $1K cash.

Still blows me away with what people w no common sense or respect will try n pull.

GET UR OIL LINES CHECKED

glad this guy and nobody was hurt . could of been alot worse,
i would fu%^ing freak if this was my truck ..

Chuck B said:

ford has a known problem with the abs modual.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back