gen 4 heads

68charger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,is there any difference between the gen 3 & gen 4 heads do they flow better? would they make a good up grade? the 08 & newer viper has a 100 more hp and i doubt they got it from a couple hundred cc's :dontknow:

More like 100 cc's (8.4L vs. 8.3L). The Gen 4 has a higher rev limit and variable-valve timing too, which contribute to the higher numbers. Not sure about the head design.

I do remember seeing a thread over at the VCA with dyno graphs of Gen 2, 3, and 4 overlaid on the same grid which was very interesting--the Gen 4 made slightly less torque down low than the Gen 3....

68charger said:
Hi guys,is there any difference between the gen 3 & gen 4 heads do they flow better? would they make a good up grade? the 08 & newer viper has a 100 more hp and i doubt they got it from a couple hundred cc's :dontknow:

Yes, the Gen IV heads flow considerably more than the Gen IIIs although more flow alone ISN'T everything. But of course in the case of the Gen IVs, it's all good...they work really well.

The stock Gen IIIs flow 270 c.f.m. @ 28" and the Gen IVs 330+ which is Striker territory. The flow characteristics are VERY close to Strikers at various lifts, in fact.

For now, it is easier to go with aftermarket heads or properly ported Gen III heads than to fir the Gen IVs, as all of the attachment pieces that rely on the heads (intake and exhaust manifolds, etc.) are in the same places.

Yes, the vast majority of the 100 horsepower of the Gen IV came from the heads. It is more controlled power so to speak as it is now drive by wire and has variable cam timing which can tweak the power where it is needed. They are fast and fun to drive.

JM cyllinder heads working on the dyno with Kevin Singleton showed gains of 119 wheel, with aftermarket Striker heads and a cam, on a Gen II Viper that already had headers, mopar performance cam and roller rockers. And they did it without raising the compression like I did which of course gave me even higher gains. Many of the road racing guys are reporting 600+ wheel with that setup. So there is a lot of power to be gained with good heads and a proper cam on engines they are available for..

Take a peek at the new 5.0 Mustang heads- pretty amazing. And look at what the N.A.S.C.A.R. and Pro Stock guys are doing these days !! Just a ton of R&D into the heads and induction systems in both cases...because THAT is where the power is.

Ronnie

Last edited:
Ronnie i planned on having a chat with you about head and cam options on the 15th

I got them from the coater's when I got off the plane today. Trubuilt got his the other day. Looks like he will have them on first. Buddy at work gave your truck great props. When are you going to let him drive it??:D :D :D

i guess we'll let trubuilt be the guinea pig you should take yours up next tour and let him practice his 2 3 shift:D

If the road into site was paved......oh well, he will have to learn stick with a red truck!!

oldcolt said:
If the road into site was paved......oh well, he will have to learn stick with a red truck!!

I bet you AREN'T considering a 6" lift kit for your truck are you...:D

I had some guy ask me if I was going to lift it.:D :D :D :D

It looks sweet with Stinker's drop kit. Now if it would stop snowing, I might actually get to drive it!!!

oldcolt said:
I had some guy ask me if I was going to lift it.:D :D :D :D

It looks sweet with Stinker's drop kit. Now if it would stop snowing, I might actually get to drive it!!!

I had mine out today because I got tired of waiting. Dancing around a bit on Deerfoot though, even with the new Pirellis...quite entertaining.
I was at Timmies on 61st...where were you??? ;)

Just got home.....I might be up for a coffee tomorrow.

Let me know tomorrow what time works for you. I'm going to be detailing my Colt. I had it in the Spring Thaw show 'n shine a couple of weeks ago and was going to put it in the Tower show this weekend.

oldcolt said:
Let me know tomorrow what time works for you. I'm going to be detailing my Colt. I had it in the Spring Thaw show 'n shine a couple of weeks ago and was going to put it in the Tower show this weekend.

7 would work for me...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back