Help! P0353 Code

4DR VYPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Anybody had any problems with the coils on our trucks. My engine light came on and it felt like it was skipping a little so I ran a diagnostic with my handheld. It came up P0353 which is Ignition Coil #3 Primary Circuit. Does this mean I have to replace the coil or is it possible it just has a loose wire? To check it either way I guess I still have to pull the intake to get to it also?:dontknow:

[FONT=&quot]Could be backed-out terminals, damaged terminals, poor terminal-to-wire connections or physical damage to the wiring harness.[/FONT]

Have you run it since the codes?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Chryslers tech website says it could be:
Possible Causes
(K343) ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT
IGNITION COIL
(K18) IGNITION COIL CONTROL NO.3 CIRCUIT OPEN
(K18) IGNITION COIL CONTROL NO.3 CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
PCM

So are you a Dodge Tech? If so, should I take it to the "stealership" or try to work it out myself?:dontknow:

4DR VYPR said:
So are you a Dodge Tech? If so, should I take it to the "stealership" or try to work it out myself?:dontknow:
Yes i am a tech at a "stealership". It all depends on your mechanical ability. If you think you can do it go for it, or you could take it to the dealer and ask them to find out whats wrong and fix it yourself, But remember they will charge you an hours labor for them diagnosing it.

GADodgetech said:
Yes i am a tech at a "stealership". It all depends on your mechanical ability. If you think you can do it go for it, or you could take it to the dealer and ask them to find out whats wrong and fix it yourself, But remember they will charge you an hours labor for them diagnosing it.

They burned me pretty bad the last time I had to take it in (power steering pump went out at 30,000 miles and they wouldn't warranty it!)

The other codes you mentioned. K343 ASD Relay Output Circuit and K18 #3 Circuit Open or Shorted to Ground-How could I check those myself? Where are they located?:dontknow:

Bone said:
[FONT=&quot]Could be backed-out terminals, damaged terminals, poor terminal-to-wire connections or physical damage to the wiring harness.[/FONT]

Have you run it since the codes?
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I checked all of the terminals and they seem ok. And, yes, I have cranked it since it started this problem but I have not driven it. I didn't want to hurt anything.

I had a problem recently with the wire going to the crank position sensor and the stealership had to find the problem and fix it for me. These electrical/wiring harness "gremlins" are REALLY starting to piss me off!:argh:

GADodgetech said:

You have any pull with other stealerships? (no offense!) read-DISCOUNTS! :D

1. GOOD TRIP EQUAL TO ZERO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ignition on, engine not running.
With the scan tool, read DTCs and record the related Freeze Frame data.

Is the Good Trip Counter displayed and equal to zero?

Yes
Go To 2

No
Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDTION Diagnostic Procedure.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST
2. (K343) ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. K343 ASD relay output circuit

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the Ignition coil harness connector.
Ignition on, engine not running.
Using a 12-volt test light connected to ground, probe the (K343) ASD Relay Output circuit at the coil harness connector.
With the scan tool, actuate the ASD Relay.

Does the test light illuminate brightly?

Yes
Go To 3

No
Inspect the related fuse. Repair the excessive resistance or short to ground in the (K343) ASD Relay Output circuit.

3. IGNITION COIL RESISTANCE

Turn the ignition off.
The resistance of a 8.3L Primary Ignition coil is 0.53 to 0.65 of an ohm.
Measure the resistance of the primary Ignition coil.

Is the resistance within the appropriate specification?

Yes
Go To 4

No
Replace the Ignition coil.

4. IGNITION COIL

Using a 12-volt test light connected to a 12-volt source, probe the Ignition (K18) Igniton Coil No.3 Control circuit.
Crank the engine for 5 seconds while observing the test light.

What is the condition of the test light while cranking the engine?

Brightly blinking.
Replace the Ignition Coil.

ON constantly.
Go To 5

OFF constantly.
Go To 6

5. (K18) COIL CONTROL NO.3 CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the C1 PCM harness connector.
Measure the resistance between the (K18) Ignition Coil Control No.3 circuit and ground.

Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes
Repair the short to ground in the (K18) Ignition Coil Control No.3 circuit.

No
Go To 7

6. (K18) IGNITION COIL CONTROL NO.3 CIRCUIT OPEN

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the C1 PCM harness connector.
Measure the resistance of the (K18) Ignition Coil Control No.3 circuit from the Ignition Coil connector to the PCM connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes
Go To 7

No
Repair the open in the (K18) Ignition Coil Control No.3 circuit.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

7. PCM

NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.

Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.

If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair.

Repair
Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST.(Refer to 9 - ENGINE - STANDARD PROCEDURE)

GADodgetech said:
Hope that helps. thats what chrysler gives us to go off of when we get that code. PM me if you need further help.

You da' man!:rock: That's a huge help!

I am pretty handy with the mechanical side but I hate computers and electrical diagnostic!:argh:

4DR VYPR said:
You da' man!:rock: That's a huge help!

I am pretty handy with the mechanical side but I hate computers and electrical diagnostic!:argh:
Haha i know what you mean, I hate messing with electronics, but thats the future so I'd better get used to it fast:rock:

Me too!

Hoping to get this thing smoothed out by this weekend. I was hoping to take it to the GTG in Macon this weekend. It's just over a 4 hour drive for me. You going?

4DR VYPR said:
Me too!

Hoping to get this thing smoothed out by this weekend. I was hoping to take it to the GTG in Macon this weekend. It's just over a 4 hour drive for me. You going?
Ohh Yeah im going, I wouldnt want to miss it, driving there saturday morning and coming home that night. Hopefully you get your truck sorted out by then, just hope you dont make it to step #7:D

Don't be. It's a "piggyback" system that runs the Paxton setup. All of the mods on my truck were performed by Mike Figlosi, a certified Viper Tech out of Farmingdale, New York when it was new. He's good but I haven't been able to reach him this week. I was getting desperate for advice.

4DR VYPR said:
Don't be. It's a "piggyback" system that runs the Paxton setup. All of the mods on my truck were performed by Mike Figlosi, a certified Viper Tech out of Farmingdale, New York when it was new. He's good but I haven't been able to reach him this week. I was getting desperate for advice.
Im familiar with the piggyback system, I recently had a SRT4 that wouldnt charge the battery and a cel, He had a mopar stage 3 piggybacked. When i went to read the code i couldnt even get into the computer to read the codes. he ended up having to replace his PCM:(

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back