High HP AUTO QC guys 48RE??

SrtDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys i am hopefully less than 2 months out on having my QC back up and running... ( i will start a Build thread soon also) But my question is whats the best route to take on my transmission? I am going to run Justin's F1 kit on 12lbs of boost w/ one of his cams and all supporting internals and fuel system, so i should be in the 750+ range to the wheels... The main reason of buying the QC other than the extra room inside was for the luxury of the AUTO which i would prefer to keep instead of going Six speed. Any input on built 48REs would be much appreciated. From the looks of it, it looks like a 6k to 7k Transmission in my near future. I prefer to spend the money once and be done with it.

o ya this truck will see the track very little, building mainly to be a street monster and to pull my other cars to the track.

I would venture to say that you would probably be better off switching to a different auto transmission. There are a few guys on here that have done it. Batram, Jtsvp not sure who else.

ive heard th400 or 4L80, i really dont want a GM transmission in my baby... Venomous1 says he can do a billet 48re for around 6k with torque converter... i really dont want to go through changing a bunch of stuff an making my truck a mix breed lol

I'll say look into an Allison, they are best towing trans in the world.
You can get a reman unit from from an authorized dealer with a warranty.

Last edited:
If you near Houston go in and talk to S&S.
Stewart & Stevenson Power Products, LLC
8631 East Freeway Houston, TX 77029
Phone: 713-671-6100

Probably going to want a 2200 or 2500 either an RDS or SP maybe a HS

RETRAN®

1000 Series, 2000 Series, 3000 Series, AT500, MT600

I'm running an www.htstransmissons.com
tranny push around 760hp, the 48re tranny is a good tranny if built properly, I have 3 seasons on mine with zero problems,my tranny may be for sale also being I want to buy venomous1 racings 6spd conversion kit soon.

Last edited:
The 48RE will hold up if built right. Haven't had no issues with mine after it was Built.

Hey Joe how's everything been going.

Hey Bobby. How ya doin down there? I've been doing great, we got moved into the new house in mid Nov , trucks running great , tranny holding up perfectly (3 seasons on here and not an issue :), )your exactky right with the tranny in these trucks, if they are built right they are one tuff tranny, were both over 750 HP and we both haven't had any issues.:rock:

I would let my tranny go for $4500, it's got around 3k miles on it, I wanna go with a 6spd or I would swap someone??? Just a thaught I would throw out there.

On 3rd tranny overhaul. DO NOT let anyone tell you to go with a smaller TQ than the 13" that came in it. :mad: DO NOT purchase a TQ from Rusty at TCS or let him touch your tranny. :mad: PATC in Bossier City La or Century Transmissions in Houston do great work :rock::rock: and don't forget to get the billet shaft. I did not but do not have near your HP and do not take it to the drag strip. Good luck with the project. :rock:

The valve body is the main weak link in the 48re. Fix that, and the rest is a matter of what you plan to do with it.

HTS is good. Dusty knows what he is talking about. After putting his parts in mine I had no issues from the trans internals. However, a hairline crack in the case plagued me for about 2 years before it was discovered and resulted in yet another trans to be replaced.

Most likely cause of the crack was over TQ of the front band when it was installed.

A lot of the cummins guys swear by the 48re, some company's are building "1000hp" rated transmissions with 2 year unlimited mileage warranties

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back